Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kids throwing stones at cyclists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

I saw the IFSC Lidl wetsuit kids repeatedly throwing footballs in front of cyclists in the bike lane there a couple of weeks ago, one girl came off but wasn’t hurt. Is there any other city in Europe where you’d have this carry on in the city centre? Put them in sink estates outside the M50 and build high rise apartments for normal people in the inner city social housing areas.

How do you know the kids are from social housing?

And yes London, Paris, Naples, Milan to name but a few. In London you'd have acid thrown in your face never mind a football.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Rechuchote wrote: »
    I wouldn't myself blame the lack of garda enforcement so much as the withdrawal of funds for summer projects; bored kids get up to mischief. If these kids were in summer projects, going camping in the mountains, playing organised games - even cycling and learning to take bikes apart and fix them - they wouldn't be at this nonsense.

"... bored kids get up to mischief."

This may be true; but no one should accept this as a valid excuse to normalise assaulting cyclists, or engaging in any other sort of destructive, abusive behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

This may be true; but no one should accept this as a valid excuse to normalise assaulting cyclists, or engaging in any other sort of destructive, abusive behavior.

I'm not doing so; I'm saying that the way to stop it is not to have The Man come down heavy on them, but to put their idle little hands to better work. Blame the last two governments for their rape of funding for kids' summer projects and other social work.

Kid's have been throwing stones at everything since time began...... especially bored and disenfranchised youngsters.........

I see another poster reference the "Scum"..... Nice language.

As a cyclist I don't like things thrown at me.

As a human being I can fully understand frustrated, disenfranchised, forgotten, and "scum" youth throwing just about anything at just about anything.........

I wonder do Hyena's have many "scumbags" in their midst or is "scumminess" merely a Human Trait ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

ED E wrote: »
    Yes they would. Witnessed a female cyclist suffer their inaccurate barrage last summer holidays.

As minors the legal system is powerless. I really hope they pick on the wrong bloke (Krav maga, boxer, whatever) and get a hiding. Only thing that'll learn em.

I am female, my point was that they wouldn't throw stones at a woman walking along the street so why should a cyclist be any different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭iHungry

And yes London, Paris, Naples, Milan to name but a few. In London you'd have acid thrown in your face never mind a football.

That's the way we will end up too if people aren't punished.

nak wrote: »
    I am female, my point was that they wouldn't throw stones at a woman walking along the street so why should a cyclist be any different.

Is that because the Garda would take this seriously and start knocking on doors, if someone walking down the street was assaulted, as opposed to a cyclist?

"Because, hey, it's just throwing some tiny rocks at cyclists, they're even wearing helmets loike..."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

As a human being I can fully understand frustrated, disenfranchised, forgotten, and "scum" youth throwing just about anything at just about anything.........

Doesn't make it in any way acceptable though, does it? I note from this and other threads that many cyclists are afraid to use certain stretches of the Grand Canal due to attacks and muggings and this fear seems to be reasonably founded. How would you suggest we address this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

Kid's have been throwing stones at everything since time began...... especially bored and disenfranchised youngsters.........

I wonder do Hyena's have many "scumbags" in their midst or is "scumminess" merely a Human Trait ?

Yes scummy kids have being doing it since time began.

I know a lot of children and very few of them would consider throwing rocks at people.

Bored my ass. There are a million things kids can do and get involved in.

The 'nothing to do' nonsense has been spouted since time began, too. There's no end of things to do. There's clubs and groups and what-have-you all over the place. Whether you're into football, ballet, acting or woodworking there's a club for it.

There are thousands of bored kids around the country. They're not out assaulting people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I think part of the issue is that a number of the incidents are happening along a stretch of canal that is between 2 garda stations plus a lack of resources.

It's not up to the guards to parent other people's kids; if they're not being taught to respect other people at home their behaviour sadly won't change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

smacl wrote: »
    How would you suggest we address this problem?
    deep societal changes?

i know a few people who volunteer for the vincent de paul. my mother used to volunteer for barnardos. from the stories i heard, if some of the kids they dealt with only end up throwing stones at cyclists, we'll be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Is that here? Kylemore Road? And are the locks numbered, is there some way you can see which is which?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Killeen+Rd,+Dublin/Long+Mile+Rd,+Dublin/@53.3313513,-6.3499959,303m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670cbf5781abdf:0xf2f9854bcc0bce3f!2m2!1d-6.3589372!2d53.329457!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670c96ca792d6b:0xb2fb75919ff77bcb!2m2!1d-6.3403586!2d53.3237501!3e2

I wouldn't myself blame the lack of garda enforcement so much as the withdrawal of funds for summer projects; bored kids get up to mischief. If these kids were in summer projects, going camping in the mountains, playing organised games - even cycling and learning to take bikes apart and fix them - they wouldn't be at this nonsense.

That's the one. They generally congregate in summer from the lock @ Parkwest down as far as the kissing gate at Bluebell

deep societal changes?

i know a few people who volunteer for the vincent de paul. my mother used to volunteer for barnardos. from the stories i heard, if some of the kids they dealt with only end up throwing stones at cyclists, we'll be lucky.

Do they end up throwing stones at cyclists though or is that where they start? I agree entirely it is a societal issue put don't see much in the way of political will or strength of character to change it at this point in time. It beggars belief the rate at which we're pissing money against the wall in this country so soon after a crippling recession while so many of our key public service workers struggle to survive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the kids i heard about would have been too young to start that; it was tales of abuse of the kids themselves i was hearing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah actually maybe they strolled over from Donnybrook or Clontarf to harass workers in the IFSC.
    4 years cycling in London and you don't see street urchins there like we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

4 years cycling in London and you don't see street urchins there like we have here.

I rather a pebble chucked at me than a knife in the ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I'm not doing so; I'm saying that the way to stop it is not to have The Man come down heavy on them, but to put their idle little hands to better work. Blame the last two governments for their rape of funding for kids' summer projects and other social work.

There is more for the kids to do these days than when we were young and we would of never of tried to harm people like that, get a smack across the head for it by the cyclist.

Wouldn't blame the government, that's the easy way out.
    Kids are now brought up with no respect because their parents have none and kids have no fear anymore cause no one can punish them

There is more for the kids to do these days than when we were young and we would of never of tried to harm people like that, get a smack across the head for it by the cyclist.

Wouldn't blame the government, that's the easy way out.
    Kids are now brought up with no respect because their parents have none and kids have no fear anymore cause no one can punish them

Ha, I'm afraid my dad used to get stones thrown at him in the 80s and 90s cycling through ballybough and summerhill. Townies were ways the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Yea I really don't buy this "they are downtrodden & have no facilities" line. I grew up in a good area & when I came home from school I'd go out & play football, puck a sliotar around, play rugby, climb trees etc.
    Then when being a bit rebellious you'd play nick knocks on peoples door. The worst I did was egg a house one time when i was about 12 & got a smack on the back of the head from the guy that owned the house when he tracked me down & he dragged me back to my mam who did the same & made me mow his garden for the summer.

The bit they're missing isn't facilities, it's parenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yea I really don't buy this "they are downtrodden & have no facilities" line. I grew up in a good area & when I came home from school I'd go out & play football, puck a sliotar around, play rugby, climb trees etc.
    Then when being a bit rebellious you'd play nick knocks on peoples door. The worst I did was egg a house one time when i was about 12 & got a smack on the back of the head from the guy that owned the house when he tracked me down & he dragged me back to my mam who did the same & made me mow his garden for the summer.

There's a lot more playgrounds around compared to when I was growing up in the 90s, particularly in lower/working class areas where parents complained there was nothing to do. There's a few skateparks around now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Was reading in the news here in Amsterdam, 2 teenagers threw some eggs at some cyclists over a period of a week. Police were informed and the the two girls were arrested. If it can be done here....

https://www.politie.nl/nieuws/2019/juli/4/05-twee-vrouwen-aangehouden-voor-bekogeling-met-eieren.html

Ha, I'm afraid my dad used to get stones thrown at him in the 80s and 90s cycling through ballybough and summerhill. Townies were ways the same!
    i had a conversation with an architect many years ago where he was talking about how dublin was going through a demographic/geographic inversion (this was maybe 2004ish at a stab).
    i'm going to make a fist of his argument, but it was along the lines that in most cities, the closer you got to the city centre, the higher property prices went and the wealthier the residents became; but that in dublin there were many areas that bucked that trend, and others where that also applied but where gentrification was changing it.

maybe it is possible that in dublin you're more likely to get kids from poorer backgrounds (and maybe more kids in general?) living near the city centre than you are in other cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

I go straight down the new nangor road from the Naas Road to the Lucan to Newcastle Road. Wouldn’t go near that canal.

maybe it is possible that in dublin you're more likely to get kids from poorer backgrounds (and maybe more kids in general?) living near the city centre than you are in other cities?

Yeah 100%, there's a ring of social housing around the city centre and flats etc. I've never been to a city where you just see 10 year olds going around the city centre on bikes or in little gangs. It's pretty unique to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

It's OK they're all from troubled backgrounds. This type of behaviour will only end with community policing and the odd clatter around the head from the law...

Agreed, but we as a society still have to figure how to sort it. They'll no doubt become parents in their own time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

smacl wrote: »
    Agreed, but we as a society still have to figure how to sort it. They'll no doubt become parents in their own time too.

To me it's all routed in the fact that there are little to no consequences to anything but the most serious crimes in this country. (In a lot of cases, not all): The parents of those kids have learned that you can commit petty crimes & still get a free house off the state, still get paid 140 a month for each extra kid you have & still keep committing more crimes without any punishment.

Whereas middle class parents are worried that their kids will appear in court for something petty & never get a decent job because of it - so if you have ambition, there's a cost to crime, if you don't there isn't.

We have to be careful here too, as these kids really are disenfranchised, starting off "on the back foot", they haven't got much of a chance to start with, whatever you want to call it - and teaching them the system is fundamentally against them is not going to make the situation better.

This is where outreach from community officers - and yes, the Garda - could be effective. Provide them options (something many of them certainly feel, rightly or wrongly, they don't have), but also be clear about consequences.

After all, we should all want to live in a place where this isn't a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Some kids belonging to some of the most upper-class families in their county were caught stringing tape across the road to stop cars and horses - really, really dangerous. They just hadn't thought. And they stopped when this was pointed out to them.

It annoys me when people go on about social housing as if it were inhabited by demons.

Advertisement