Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opening bank account with little english

Options
  • 08-07-2019 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Is there a rule that you cannot open a bank account if you have poor english?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Amadan90 wrote: »
    Is there a rule that you cannot open a bank account if you have poor english?

Wouldn't have thought so, but you would need to read and understand the terms and conditions (which would be in english).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is dis anuder furriners out tread[sic]?

colm_c wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought so, but you would need to read and understand the terms and conditions (which would be in english).
    Sure, who reads those things?!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Amadan90

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is dis anuder furriners out tread[sic]?

the opposite, my friends mother was refused today to open an account, she has some english but her daughter is fluent and would of helped her with anything she didn't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is she a resident here? Did she have appropriate identification documents? I think you need a PPS number (not absolutely sure of that, but I think its the case).

• Advertisement

the opposite, my friends mother was refused today to open an account, she has some english but her daughter is fluent and would of helped her with anything she didn't understand.
    Surprised at that. Most banks have branches that deal with visa students all the time, who are very likely to be in the same boat. I would certainly send in a complaint about it as it's very poor customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Far more likely it's a case of incomplete id rather than a language issue as a barrier.

looksee wrote: »
    Is she a resident here? Did she have appropriate identification documents? I think you need a PPS number (not absolutely sure of that, but I think its the case).
    Two forms standard - ID and proof of address, nothing more needed.

Mr.S wrote: »
    That’s strange, what was the actual reason for refusal, I doubt they said because of English!

Just sign up online?

They literally said because of English. Nothing about ID was asked.

I told my friend just to go back today and ask another member of staff. If they have no problems then to definitely make a complaint but if they also say something about not speaking English then fair enough I guess.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

They literally said because of English. Nothing about ID was asked.

I told my friend just to go back today and ask another member of staff. If they have no problems then to definitely make a complaint but if they also say something about not speaking English then fair enough I guess.

There is no requirement that a potential client must speak English, nor is there any law requiring a bank or other business to accept a client or a customer either.

However if a party to a contract cannot read and understand the contract, then it is very valid reason to reject the potential client.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

That could be covered under the Equal Status Acts.
    If you don't get anywhere with the branch, I would suggest a call to the IHREC:

https://www.ihrec.ie/about/contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

One can do it in Irish.

That could be covered under the Equal Status Acts.
    If you don't get anywhere with the branch, I would suggest a call to the IHREC:

https://www.ihrec.ie/about/contact/

They went again today but there was a different worker and had no problems at all. They made a complaint against the person who refused them yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Glad to hear it's resolved!

Advertisement