Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat roof for side passage

Options
  • 08-07-2019 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Looking at options for covering the side passage of the house that are somewhat aesthetically pleasing.

Have a space 1.2m x 4m at the side of the house, block wall on one side, house wall on the other.

Looking to possibly put a flat roof on it, with doors on either end.

Mainly used as storage, so no flooring or fitout required.

Any ideas on cost?

Also, who to get quotes from? Roofer? Builder? Carpenter?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

colm_c wrote: »
    Looking at options for covering the side passage of the house that are somewhat aesthetically pleasing.

Have a space 1.2m x 4m at the side of the house, block wall on one side, house wall on the other.

Looking to possibly put a flat roof on it, with doors on either end.

Mainly used as storage, so no flooring or fitout required.

Any ideas on cost?

Also, who to get quotes from? Roofer? Builder? Carpenter?

I’m doing this at the moment.
    It’s important to remember that the planning exemption for this work requires you to use finished that match the house.

So for that reason I built a red brick parapet. I fixed a steel angle to carry the parapet. Then behind the parapet I put in a flat roof and finish will be fibreglass.

The roof will be hidden from the street and only the brick parapet will be on show. Put a side gate/garage door on it to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭moldy_sea

kceire wrote: »
    It’s important to remember that the planning exemption for this work requires you to use finished that match the house.

So for that reason I built a red brick parapet. I fixed a steel angle to carry the parapet. Then behind the parapet I put in a flat roof and finish will be fibreglass.

The roof will be hidden from the street and only the brick parapet will be on show. Put a side gate/garage door on it to complete.

What are you using to hold the roof up?
    How is drainage managed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Can I ask approx cost?

moldy_sea wrote: »
    What are you using to hold the roof up?
    How is drainage managed?

I hung joist hangers on the boundary wall and put a wall plate the length of the house. The boundary wall is capped which I’ve removed to facilitate this so once I put the cappings back on nothing be visable. All discussed with neighbor before hand.

I’m running the drainage to the back and have a gutter detail that’s connected to an existing down pipe from the main roof.

Can I ask approx cost?

It’s a running cost so far.
    I’m buying materials where required and my builder mate is doing the labour as a favour so it wouldn’t be realistic to post the cost here as it’s not what a consumer would pay.

The door alone is €520 as I’m opting for a PVC wood grain style with keypad lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

It’s a running cost so far.
    I’m buying materials where required and my builder mate is doing the labour as a favour so it wouldn’t be realistic to post the cost here as it’s not what a consumer would pay.

The door alone is €520 as I’m opting for a PVC wood grain style with keypad lock.

Grand.

Which planning reg is related to existing building material? Is it only when building on the side?

Reason I ask is that one of our neighbours has done a flat roof kitchen extension, which is visible from the street (end of street house), and I quite like the look of it.

Grand.

Which planning reg is related to existing building material? Is it only when building on the side?

Reason I ask is that one of our neighbours has done a flat roof kitchen extension, which is visible from the street (end of street house), and I quite like the look of it.

This is irrelevant.
    The location of the extension relative the house is more important.

Have a look at the exempted development regulations as the exemptions for what I done (Garage/store) are different to the exemptions allowed for an extension that you are talking about.

Advertisement