Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearse Doherty questions Insurance CEOs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fair play to PD, he had them squirming.

Considering they moan about fraud all the time, it's amazing that they have only reported 19 cases between them to the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Approximately 20% are fraudulent yet only 1% reported to Gardaí. Therefore, hardly any cases are fraudulent and the insurance companies are spinning yarns. The question is what will happen though, will anything come about? Perhaps remove compulsory car insurance and have everyone at a basic standard, after which they can supplement it at their own cost? Dramatically reduce the figures in the book of quantum combined with removing the egg shell skull rule from law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Excellent probing by Pearse.They really are conning the public and all into their one or two cases in court, where they catch out a fraudulent claimant.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Dramatically reduce the figures in the book of quantum combined with removing the egg shell skull rule from law?

ya you say this right up until the point when you get injured yourself, it's not the book of quantum that's at fault at all, many solicitors handle several claims for certain people, even if a claim isnt found to be fraudulent surely the same people having such bad luck that they end up in regular accident claims should be looked into

insurance companies should be there to make a few quid if there's money left over between money coming in and claims, instead people get penalised for calling in the very service both parties signed up for and paid a handsome price for

Approximately 20% are fraudulent yet only 1% reported to Gardaí. Therefore, hardly any cases are fraudulent and the insurance companies are spinning yarns. The question is what will happen though, will anything come about? Perhaps remove compulsory car insurance and have everyone at a basic standard, after which they can supplement it at their own cost? Dramatically reduce the figures in the book of quantum combined with removing the egg shell skull rule from law?

What’s the egg shell skull rule?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye not a fan of Sinn Fein, but he did an excellent job there. He'd do a much better job than Mary Lou I feel.

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    What’s the egg shell skull rule?

I googled it and found out

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye not a fan of Sinn Fein, but he did an excellent job there. He'd do a much better job than Mary Lou I feel.

Much better debater, Mary Lou is getting a name as being a moan bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

He went through them like a dose of salts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Half of thdir base probably sues for soft tissue injuries. It's no wonder he will blame everything on insurance companies.

Report on insurance payouts came out and while the sums avarded for big claims reduced the awards in soft tissue injuries slightly increased. Another set of numbers was showing that despite increase in insurance profits liability insurance showed loss.

I have no love for insurance companies and they prefer increasing premiums than reporting fraud but I don't for a second believe there are almost no fraudulent or exaggerated claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

good job

meeeeh wrote: »
    Half of thdir base probably sues for soft tissue injuries. It's no wonder he will blame everything on insurance companies.

Report on insurance payouts came out and while the sums avarded for big claims reduced the awards in soft tissue injuries slightly increased. Another set of numbers was showing that despite increase in insurance profits liability insurance showed loss.

I have no love for insurance companies and they prefer increasing premiums than reporting fraud but I don't for a second believe there are almost no fraudulent or exaggerated claims.

Okay, but there has to be a balance between their profits and the premiums they charge. People are being priced out of driving a car. Low income families (possibly Sinn Fein Voters) would struggle to put a teenage son or daughter on the road.

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Okay, but there has to be a balance between their profits and the premiums they charge. People are being priced out of driving a car. Low income families (possibly Sinn Fein Voters) would struggle to put a teenage son or daughter on the road.

Insurance companies are part of the problem but let's not pretend they are the only problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Wow. He made them look both stupid and shifty.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Insurance companies are part of the problem but let's not pretend they are the only problem.
    Who's pretending that they are the only problem?
    The insurance companies have been caught pretending there are anything like the number of fraudulent claims they have been claiming that are driving up premiums. Caught gouging in layman's terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

I have zero time for SF as a party..populist **** with a hint of violence.
    but he's spot on asking the hard questions for the insurance companies.....his interaction with them will force the law to change

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Will anything change though? Unlikely

The insurance companies have been caught pretending there are anything like the number of fraudulent claims they have been claiming that are driving up premiums. Caught gouging in layman's terms.

I bet there is no point in reporting suspected fraudulent claims. Besides what happens when claims are just exaggerated, it's not like Maria Bailey and similar will be prosecuted for exaggerating their injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Pearse Doherty is very good in that role. That's not the first time he did a good job with the questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

deandean wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty is very good in that role. That's not the first time he did a good job with the questioning.

Yeah I watched it. He was very good at cutting through the BS and you are right its not the first time. He is well able to speak.

Jonathan O Brien is also very good at speaking and was fantastic when the FAI where hauled in.

Pity that both are wasted in SF.

• Advertisement

I bet there is no point in reporting suspected fraudulent claims. Besides what happens when claims are just exaggerated, it's not like Maria Bailey and similar will be prosecuted for exaggerating their injuries.
    ...and whose fault is that? Mine? Yours? Pearse Doherty's?

You threw the blame immediately on 'half their base'. Put the blame where it lies and then we might get somewhere.

...and whose fault is that? Mine? Yours? Pearse Doherty's?

You threw the blame immediately on 'half their base'. Put the blame where it lies and then we might get somewhere.

He is pnpy asking questions which won't lose him point with his base. We don't need politicians like that.

I have some experience of trying to renew liability insurance. When insurers don't even bother staying in the market and quote to price gauge customers you know there are issues.

Insurance companies should be asked why so many claims are settled for exorbitant amounts, why they don't challenge more cases.

He is pnpy asking questions which won't lose him point with his base. We don't need politicians like that.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I have some experience of trying to renew liability insurance. When insurers don't even bother staying in the market and quote to price gauge customers you know there are issues.

Insurance companies should be asked why so many claims are settled for exorbitant amounts, why they don't challenge more cases.

But if the 'wrong' person asks that question you will rubbish the questioner and not listen to the answer.

These insurers were caught hook line and sinker gouging you. me and everybody else.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

But if the 'wrong' person asks that question you will rubbish the questioner and not listen to the answer.

These insurers were caught hook line and sinker gouging you. me and everybody else.

And so does legal profession and people who claim but apparently there are almost no exaggerated claims. And btw our last year's insurer just stopped offering cover. They didn't even bother charging more for it.

They certainly were caught out.

The industry were claiming that 20% of the claims were fraudulent and that was responsible for increases in premiums. When Doherty dug into these figures not alone were the number of cases considered fraudulent a tiny percentage of the industries claims, the number reported to Gardai's fraud unit was less than 1% of claims.

Meanwhile profits at insurance companies have increased by 1318%, despite rising premiums for customers.

If it is ever proven that the industry is operating as a cartel, well, then those involved may find themselves on the other end of a fraud investigation.

STB. wrote: »
    They certainly were caught out.

The industry were claiming that 20% of the claims were fraudulent and that was responsible for increases in premiums. When Doherty dug into these figures not alone were the number of cases considered fraudulent a tiny percentage of the industries claims, the number reported to Gardai's fraud unit was less than 1% of claims.

Meanwhile profits at insurance companies have increased by 1318%, despite rising premiums for customers.

Which is another way of saying they are gouging people who have no choice and no choice, but to have insurance.

Which is another way of saying they are gouging people who have no choice and no choice, but to have insurance.

Was it organised though ? It would seem so.

We will know when the European Commission completes its anti trust investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

If there's that much money to be made in insurance in ireland surely uk n eu insurers would flock here to make a killing.

They're not though, only reason being our payouts are rediculous, 4.5 times that of the uk for whiplash. Make whiplash payout the same as the uk, then crucify the insurers if premiums dont drop accordingly.

enricoh wrote: »
    If there's that much money to be made in insurance in ireland surely uk n eu insurers would flock here to make a killing.

They're not though, only reason being our payouts are rediculous, 4.5 times that of the uk for whiplash. Make whiplash payout the same as the uk, then crucify the insurers if premiums dont drop accordingly.

The insurance lobby group (Insurance Ireland) is being investigated by the European Commission over allegations that it withheld membership from underwriters and created obstacles to entering the Irish insurance market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have zero time for SF as a party..populist **** with a hint of violence.
    but he's spot on asking the hard questions for the insurance companies.....his interaction with them will force the law to change
    That's up to the Dail to decide. Grandstanding at a committee hearing doesn't change much.

Advertisement