Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearse Doherty questions Insurance CEOs

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

is_that_so wrote: »
    I can't claim to know much about PD but his performance in that clip was very good. Excellent parliamentary committee work.
    People would see that as his forte over the Mr Angry Dail stuff. Questioning is all fine, it's what comes out of the committee that matters.

Deflection deflection deflection. Try harder because it's obvious as daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Deflection deflection deflection. Try harder because it's obvious as daylight.
    What is it that I or the other person sucked up into your rant deflecting? What pray tell is so "obvious"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

lawred2 wrote: »
    So what is the end result of this? A bit of a scolding but ultimately let's just carry on as we were?

Where's the corporate enforcement?

In 2016, the government set up a working group to examine the cost of insurance. It completed a series of reports, and made recommendations for reform. The matter has also been examined on several occasions by the Oireachtas committee on finance.

You'd be better off asking the Junior Minister Darcy and Senior Minister Flanagan what they done with that report. You can have as many reviews as you want. What you need is the political will to carry them out.

Oh and by the way, the total assets of insurance corporations as reported by the Central Bank at end of 2018 ?

............Billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

STB. wrote: »
    Yeah I watched it. He was very good at cutting through the BS and you are right its not the first time. He is well able to speak.

Jonathan O Brien is also very good at speaking and was fantastic when the FAI where hauled in.

Pity that both are wasted in SF.

Both are dedicated members of a party that they joined because they actually have political beliefs, rather than joining a party to help themselves onto the gravy train like so many other politicians.

It's a pity that people like yourself can't see past your hatred for Sinn Féin and begin to realise that there are alternatives to the same tired, old, lazy politics that has mis-served this country for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Both are dedicated members of a party that they joined because they actually have political beliefs, rather than joining a party to help themselves onto the gravy train like so many other politicians.

It's a pity that people like yourself can't see past your hatred for Sinn Féin and begin to realise that there are alternatives to the same tired, old, lazy politics that has mis-served this country for so long.

But you have me wrong. I have no party allegiance (many don't in this country) I totally respect the two individuals. Infact I also singled out Jonathan O Brien because I have witnessed him a few times at Committee hearings and he is just as thorough as Pearse. They are both excellent politicians.

I have no hatred. I just don't like the overall package and the party's policies. Having said that, there are many who I have been fooled by in the past who have proimsed one thing and delivered another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

STB. wrote: »
    But you have me wrong. I have no party allegiance (many don't in this country) I totally respect the two individuals. Infact I also singled out Jonathan O Brien because I have witnessed him a few times at Committee hearings and he is just as thorough as Pearse. They are both excellent politicians.

I have no hatred. I just don't like the overall package and the party's policies. Having said that, there are many who I have been fooled by in the past who have proimsed one thing and delivered another.

Apologies STB. Thought you were just taking a pop at Sinn Féin like so many other posters, who cannot stand to give SF any credit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You can take the Joe Duffy listener stance if you wish sir, however, I will be proven right.

You have confidence I give you that, you haven't offered one concrete tangible thing to back it up though.

I remember when the NCT was going to lower premiums too.

:rolleyes:
    People shop around. Family member does it religiously every year for anything they pay for. Insurance companies tend to be more price sensitive with personal customers. Commercial it seems is a very different story.

Try shop around if you have the audacity to own a vehicle that exceeds some arbitrary figure pulled out of the insurance industries collective arsé.

Boggles wrote: »
    You have confidence I give you that, you haven't offered one concrete tangible thing to back it up though.

I remember when the NCT was going to lower premiums too.

:rolleyes:

Try shop around if you have the audacity to own a vehicle that exceeds some arbitrary figure pulled out of the insurance industries collective arsé.

Helps being a very boring driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

It's the context of insurance premiums. If he'd been asking energy companies robust questions about what they planned to do on renewables nobody would have noticed.

But he wasn't asking about energy companies because the meeting wasn't about energy companies now was it. He was asking questions of insurance companies and showing up their shady rethoric, something that the government should have done long ago, but they prefer to condone insurance fraudsters than deal with shady insurance companies.

RustyNut wrote: »
    But he wasn't asking about energy companies because the meeting wasn't about energy companies now was it. He was asking questions of insurance companies and showing up their shady rethoric, something that the government should have done long ago, but they prefer to condone insurance fraudsters than deal with shady insurance companies.
    Yeah, but if he had been nobody would care how brilliantly he questioned them. There's a confirmation bias we bring to topics like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Hi Pearse - being stupid again I see!

The Insurance Companies would also need to provide the investigating authorities with whatever evidence they have on their files to support their allegations.

Wander into a Garda Station and report (allege) that someone is guilty of fraud without producing a scrap of evidence and you'll be treated like the idiot you are.

You actually haven't watched that video , have you ?
    If you had you'd know that the very point you make about evidence comes up.

Briefly.... to come to the conclusion that a claim is fraudulent the Insurance Company would have had to do some investigating of their own. Therefore they will have facts and a certain amount of evidence relevant to the case. They can pass this on to the Gardaí and let them decide from there. That's a bit different to 'not producing a scrap of evidence'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/boy-7-awarded-40-000-after-being-trapped-in-elevator-for-almost-45-minutes-1.3951469

Legislate to prohibit anyone called Joyce, Ward or McDonagh from pursuing claims. Your premium will halve in three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Nermal wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/boy-7-awarded-40-000-after-being-trapped-in-elevator-for-almost-45-minutes-1.3951469

Legislate to prohibit anyone called Joyce, Ward or McDonagh from pursuing claims. Your premium will halve in three years.

Filthy insurance companies making up the rules.

Damn cartel.

Rabble rabble rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I see that Pearse Doherty was spouting the same old guff today, but was put firmly back in his box by the insurance companies. Problem is that Pearse has decided to pin Sinn Fein's flag to the populist (and nonsensical) notion that the insurance companies are the only people to blame for the high costs of insurance premia in Ireland so his needle is stuck in that rut. Hence when confronted with factual information that contradicts his flat-earth view of things, all he can do is waffle and squirm. And there are few TDs better equipped to waffle than the Donegal motormouth.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/170k-awarded-in-case-where-80-damage-done-to-car-bumper-oireachtas-hears-about-insurance-payouts-38559924.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Portsalon wrote: »
    I see that Pearse Doherty was spouting the same old guff today, but was put firmly back in his box by the insurance companies. Problem is that Pearse has decided to pin Sinn Fein's flag to the populist (and nonsensical) notion that the insurance companies are the only people to blame for the high costs of insurance premia in Ireland so his needle is stuck in that rut. Hence when confronted with factual information that contradicts his flat-earth view of things, all he can do is waffle and squirm. And there are few TDs better equipped to waffle than the Donegal motormouth.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/170k-awarded-in-case-where-80-damage-done-to-car-bumper-oireachtas-hears-about-insurance-payouts-38559924.html
    Read the article you linked yet your comment is totally at odds to what was said in the article. Bias I suppose plays a part in blinkering a person.
    Personally it is both the government and the insurance companies at fault, then again you have two insurance fraudsters sitting on the government benches.

Advertisement