Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows for New Build

Options
  • 09-07-2019 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there. Starting a new build and just wondering on peoples advice on what type of windows to go with, uPvc, aluclad or timber. House to be A2 rated.

Approx. 30 windows and some are very large. There are so many window companies so it's hard to even start thinking about who to approach.

All help gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've been researching and pricing this too in the last while.

What I've found is that aluclad is a bit more expensive but the jump up in cost from uPVC is not as big as I expected. In my case (a similar number of windows to yourself), I'm seeing figures of around 25k for uPVC and 32k for aluclad. So while its a nice bit more, its not so much that it completely blows the budget either...

To my eyes the aluclad looks far better and you're also able to have much larger panes and openings. You get a cleaner, more contemporary look. Many people have told me no one will ever notice the difference, but I will, so... A couple of PVC suppliers have told me to stay away from aluclad, not suited to our damp climate, etc, but I took those comments with a few grains of salt.

I haven't committed to anything yet but if the budget can take it I'll probably sway towards aluclad.

I haven't even considered timber (surely a hell of a lot of maintenance that I don't fancy).

Aluminium is another option, looks a bit cold more suited to commercial buildings I feel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There are more than a few Professionals who share that view about Aluclad with regards to our climate. Its not only the window guys that mention it.

There are stories of the timber rotting away behind the clad.

As A2 is now the minimum requirement for housing, go as good as you can. Triple glazed is not that much extra too (20%) and I found the jump to Passive spec relatively low too (10%).

kceire wrote: »
    There are more than a few Professionals who share that view about Aluclad with regards to our climate. Its not only the window guys that mention it.

So would you steer clear of aluclad yourself? I was just a bit skeptical of window supplier opinions as they have their own product to sell, but if its a more commonly held belief among professionals, that's a different story...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Liam76

Thanks Guys, for a start going to visit a few showrooms in Connaught area.

Most suppliers i have rang are pushing uPVC. Could I pm you Joe to see where you got quotes?

@kceire - in your opinion so would you only go uPVC?

Liam76 wrote: »

Most suppliers i have rang are pushing uPVC. Could I pm you Joe to see where you got quotes?

No problem yeah, I’m in the same area as yourself.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    So would you steer clear of aluclad yourself? I was just a bit skeptical of window supplier opinions as they have their own product to sell, but if its a more commonly held belief among professionals, that's a different story...
    Liam76 wrote: »

It’s a tough decision.
    I don’t personally have any or enough experience of the problem but I know the people that do take issue with them are older and more experienced than me.

I’ve uPVC on my Own house.

Try speak to people with aluclad fitted from years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Liam76

cheers will do, thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It depends on the aluclad... if it is alu glued to a timber frame you will possibly have issues.
    Some acluclad windows have a ventilation gap between the alu and wooden frame, so the profiles looks like - wooden frame/clips(spacers)/alu front. Allowing any moisture to dry out.

Edit - see this video for a better understanding - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gD983X03zM

Munster aluclad is made up of alu external, PVC core and wooden internal so again it will not rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Probably, you are asking about window frames. If we discuss the uPVC windows at first then it is a cheap option that needs minimum repair usually. However, its lifespan is shorter as compared to other window frames.

upvc-window-500x500.png

On the other hand, if we talk about wood or timber ones, then it is easy to say they long last as compared to PVC ones. Maintenance is also easy for households, but if we discuss the prices, then cost is high as compared to PVC ones. However, timber windows give a classic look to your home, especially if you select right window material. Here https://www.beyondexteriors.com/window-replacement-installation/ you can also see a different kind of window material options as well.

Stegbarproductswindowsexternaltimbercasement13.jpg?bc=White&as=1&h=414&w=552&hash=95F8E6F8DCE643357B120C1876873CCD3CF12CB7

In the same token, I personally don't like the look of Aluminium cladding windows. However, in terms of requirement of maintenance, it is better than both timber and PVC ones. The lifespan of aluclad windows is also extended. Your budget and demand will even matter in the selection of the right windows as well. In addition, for large sizes, people prefer the aluminium cladding ones especially commercial buildings.

Black-aluminium-casement-window.jpg

Here https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/type-window-frame-best-wood-metal-pvc/ you can also read the pros and cons of different window frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know what is the typical life cycle of uPVC windows? Could you expect to get 25 years before they degrade?

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know what is the typical life cycle of uPVC windows? Could you expect to get 25 years before they degrade?

Once you look after them, keep the clean, maintain the frames and the hinges then yes they will.

My house was built in 1995. I renovated in 2017 (bought it in 2015) and the original windows were all still in place. My neighbor still has the original windows and they look as good now as they did when new (uPVC).

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Hi,

Currently building and at window stage. We both wanted Aluclad but a number of window suppliers who we met Quoted us for both and the price difference wasn't what i thought, however when we met with a few of these companies they advised us to go with UPVc because of the climate on the west coast. They said their reputation was more valuable to them them the extra margin they would get from Aluclad. They also said that firms are starting to pull out of Aluclad sales

Cant find much research online but it would make you think when you hear it direct from a few places

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fair play to them advising not to use aluclad if there are doubts about it due to climate. Would imagine many companies would just sell what is the highest margin for them.

I thought it was strange the first time but second and third time got me wondering. I have friends who got Aluclad in and are very happy with them after a few years. The havent had any issues. Think i spend the week looking around showrooms again and look at the difference in appearance of UPVc and the other options

Personally I'm skeptical of the sales spiel in these situations... the guys pushing you towards uPVC have their own agendas - for whatever reason (margins, availability, ease of installation, etc), selling uPVC probably suits them better.

I also found that different suppliers have very different interpretations of what "aluclad" is, i.e. both in how their aluclad windows are manufactured and how they look. I've seen "aluclad" from a couple of (major) suppliers that looks very little different to their PVC offering - i.e. the same bulky frames, no flush sash openings, etc... i.e. not the sleek contemporary look you'd expect.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Personally I'm skeptical of the sales spiel in these situations... the guys pushing you towards uPVC have their own agendas - for whatever reason (margins, availability, ease of installation, etc), selling uPVC probably suits them better.

I also found that different suppliers have very different interpretations of what "aluclad" is, i.e. both in how their aluclad windows are manufactured and how they look. I've seen "aluclad" from a couple of (major) suppliers that looks very little different to their PVC offering - i.e. the same bulky frames, no flush sash openings, etc... i.e. not the sleek contemporary look you'd expect.

Hi, yeah im always skeptical of any sales talk as well. I think we need to decide on what look we prefer and the energy efficiency and then go from there.

What are peoples thoughts on double vs Triple glazed. The house is in the country so wouldn't be needed for noise reduction but im thinking of Triple to retain heat in the colder months and keep more solar gain out in the summers months. Would that be sound basic logic?

I think triple glazing is a no brainer. The cost differential is fairly negligible. The only place I'd put double glazing is on the garage!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

You can achieve 1.2W/m2k from double glazed uPVC. These will meet current building regs and are used in most houses. Plus these are the best value. Munster Joinery would be very competitive.

Timber windows will require too much work to keep them from rotting over time in my opinion.

Aluminium are also very nice but more expensive than uPVC for not so much of a major different (spec obviously varies).

Aluclad are flavour of the month and expensive as hell. Munster Joinery or Rationel are good value though if you're will to spend extra.

A lot of window buying is down to preference. My person opinion I'd go with uPVC but opt for triple glazing for a better u-value and sound resistance.

Advertisement