Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting out ex-Council house bought on Incremental Purchase Scheme

Options
  • 09-07-2019 8:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi we have bought a council house under the Incremental Purchase Scheme. For as long as the discounted charge we got on the house stands, we have to get permission from the Council to let out or sell on the home and one of the rules is that we have to live in the house ourselves.

The thing is, we have been thinking about emigrating in a year or two, and we want to let a close family member live in the house while we're gone. We would not be making any profit from rental income, we would keep paying the mortgage ourselves. I had raised this concern with the Council who said I'd need to contact revenue about TRS etc. but they didn't answer my question about whether they would "allow" us to let to a family member if we did ever need to move.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone who has been in a similar situation, is it just like letting out a normal house once you get permission from the Council to do so or are they going to insist on choosing who we let it out to or point blank refuse to allow it? Can they even do this?

We're not trying to make a profit here we literally just want someone we trust to mind it while we're away so that we're not homeless if things don't work out and we have to return in a year or 2.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You can't have your bread buttered on both sides. The whole idea is that you use the property as your principal private residence. It's on the back of that you got a discount.

The reality is the house should be taken back off you, or if not possible then the discount clawed back. However with how the different councils work, it's unlikely you will have an issue as they have limited to no teeth when it comes to enforcement. Get advice off your solicitor if in any doubt. Read the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

myshirt wrote: »
    You can't have your bread buttered on both sides. The whole idea is that you use the property as your principal private residence. It's on the back of that you got a discount.

The reality is the house should be taken back off you, or if not possible then the discount clawed back. However with how the different councils work, it's unlikely you will have an issue as they have limited to no teeth when it comes to enforcement. Get advice off your solicitor if in any doubt. Read the contract.

You knew 6 months ago and before you bought that this was what you were going to do. This is not 'free' subsidy but off the back of the taxes of hardworking people who have subsidsied your sob story and the lies of permanently living there you told the council. If I was you I would be extremely concerned about your neighbours
    who you can be sure also had an interest or eye on the property for their own family . Good chance they will be sure to report you and tie you up in a legal mess and costs and possible revoking the purchase or evicting your sister 'not paying rent' under its terms. You cant have it every way. Selfish entitled & greedy spring to mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

According to the DCC guidelines you need to seek permission before letting the property.

Each local authority should have their own guidelines.

Advertisement