Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Push Pedals

• 09-07-2019 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭

Right, so this is a tricky one to explain. We all know of ride-on's you push along with your feet and then pedal trikes. My two year old will use neither. She gets off them and pushes them with her hands. She seems a little tall for a lot of the ride-on's suitable for her age and she doesn't have the ability to pedal yet so I was looking for something else.
    Growing up in the 80s I remembered I had a little police car that had a type of push pedal system. You literally pushed the pedals with your feet and that drove it along. I thought this would be easier for her and am trying to find something like that but everything seems to be a push along or have traditional pedals.

Does anyone know the type of push pedal system I'm talking about, what it's called and/or where to get a toy like it?

vintage-bandeirante-push-pedal-car_1_4a428990a6edd71f53a149690c9978b4.jpg

Found an image. Now it's a bit rough, the toy I had was a bit more refined but it gives you an idea. The pedals are connected to the wheels which is what generates movement.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If she's tall for her age would you consider a balance bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

mordeith wrote: »
    If she's tall for her age would you consider a balance bike?

She literally wouldn't have the balance for it so I'd have to rule that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I remember the yokes you have pictured above. They were a right hoor to get moving though. Would he have the strength to propel something on that fashion (albeit a smaller version)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would get her a Scuttlebug or Chillafish trike, to be honest OP.Having watched the progression of my girls towards pedals, it is very much dependent on the child.If she seems tall, she might actually be better off because she may have more power to manage the movement.A lesson I have learned in recent years.

shesty wrote: »
    I would get her a Scuttlebug or Chillafish trike, to be honest OP.Having watched the progression of my girls towards pedals, it is very much dependent on the child.If she seems tall, she might actually be better off because she may have more power to manage the movement.A lesson I have learned in recent years.

I got a scuttlebug and the little rascal will try to push that too rather than scuttling along on it. As she wouldn't 'ride' her trikes I decided to get the scuttlebug. She wouldn't use that 'properly' either so I thought the pedal configuration above might be easier.

She was a low muscle tone baby so I'm not sure if that's causing any issues. She can walk and walk and walk so I'm not sure if she has difficulties with pedaling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I would just let her get off and push them with her hands if that’s what she wants to do. Pedalling is something that just clicks with them some day. My three year old can pedal but doesn’t bother a lot of the time.
    You can spend a fortune buying everything going, and you’ll be falling over them all cursing in a couple of months.

jlm29 wrote: »
    I would just let her get off and push them with her hands if that’s what she wants to do. Pedalling is something that just clicks with them some day. My three year old can pedal but doesn’t bother a lot of the time.
    You can spend a fortune buying everything going, and you’ll be falling over them all cursing in a couple of months.

I've already given away the two trikes!

I hear you though. I don't want to push her, I just want her to get that little bit extra of freedom and mobility. You might be right and when/if she's ready, she's ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

You are overthinking this. Lots of kids don’t like pedaling or sitting on things with wheels. Leave a scuttlebug/tractor or whatever out and let her do what she wants with it. I know a 3.5 year who was cycling a pedal bike and a 3.5 year old who hates anything with wheels and refuses to use all bikes/trikes/scooters. Both are normal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Honestly my five year old is a hopeless pedaller.She was never one for sitting and pushing herself around on trucks, and just couldn't be bothered.She finds running quicker!!!She's great on her scooter though.Second is almost 3.5 and can just pedal now, she has had the bike since she was two and spent the first four months pedalling backwards.It takes most of them til 3 or so to have the strength to do that pedal motion as far as I can see, and even then you aren't guaranteed anything, so I would not worry too much about it for now if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yep dont worry about it. We have both a chillafish quaddie and a balance bike. One boy was flying around on the quaddie since he got it at age 2 but now he uses the balance bike loads. My other boy who also has low tone uses the quaddie occasionally and also likes ride on cars and the little tikes car. We just leave them around and they choose what to do. The little tikes rocking horse has been great as well. We dont have any pedalling toys yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement