Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation Costs

Options
  • 09-07-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey there,

Anybody have a rough idea of cost to knock internal walls in a regular semi d to make the downstairs open plan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Theres alot of variables in that question starting with ...Stud partition or load bearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cosycosy

Doop wrote: »
    Theres alot of variables in that question starting with ...Stud partition or load bearing?

Yes you're right - to be honest I havbe no idea :D I am looking at a couple of houses and so it doesnt relate to one in particular yet. I just have no clue whatsoever what costs fo this work would be so just threw it out there. I uderstand that if it is a load bearing wall, it is a bigger and more expensive job. Maybe if i could get ideas of cost for both scenarios?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread moved to construction and planning - prices & costs.

New forum charter applies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cosycosy wrote: »
    Yes you're right - to be honest I havbe no idea :D I am looking at a couple of houses and so it doesnt relate to one in particular yet. I just have no clue whatsoever what costs fo this work would be so just threw it out there. I uderstand that if it is a load bearing wall, it is a bigger and more expensive job. Maybe if i could get ideas of cost for both scenarios?

Budget 5-10k.
    This should allow for engineers sign off or opinion.
    Steelwork.
    Labour and repairs to existing finishes.

May be less or more depending on scope of work.
    But keep that figure in your head when making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

There's no need to fully knock walls for open plan living a wide doorway will achieve that. When you knock a wall you have no where for furniture / rads. Putting in a double door (1.5m) can achieve the same open plan feel most of the time. Its much cheaper and a lot less hassle to put in a double width door way than removing entire walls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

There's no need to fully knock walls for open plan living a wide doorway will achieve that. When you knock a wall you have no where for furniture / rads. Putting in a double door (1.5m) can achieve the same open plan feel most of the time. Its much cheaper and a lot less hassle to put in a double width door way than removing entire walls.

I don’t think a 1.5m opening in a wall splitting two rooms gives an open plan feel

OK so I now have my eye on a house.. it needs to be gutted though. Its a regular 4 (small rooms) bed semi d with a garage. We would want to gut it and convert the garage into a room. Internal walls to be removed to create an open plan design (removing the wall between hallway and sitting room & between sitting toom & Kitchen. It would need new windows and at the rear I would like to widen the opening for patio doors.
    With this limited information - any idea of a very rough ballpark figure for such works? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

cosycosy wrote: »
    OK so I now have my eye on a house.. it needs to be gutted though. Its a regular 4 (small rooms) bed semi d with a garage. We would want to gut it and convert the garage into a room. Internal walls to be removed to create an open plan design (removing the wall between hallway and sitting room & between sitting toom & Kitchen. It would need new windows and at the rear I would like to widen the opening for patio doors.
    With this limited information - any idea of a very rough ballpark figure for such works? :-)

Easy on here: what about fire reg requirements, depending, amongst other things, on where the stairs is relative to the kitchen?

https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/tgd-part-b-fire-safety/technical-guidance-document-b-fire-safety-volume-2

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I dont claim to have a clue about building or regulations etc so that would all be part of the process and I would be guided by the builder I choose. All I am after here is an idea of costs for this kind of a job

Advertisement