Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Halfway seatpost slipping

Options
  • 09-07-2019 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I've got a giant Halfway 2018 and the seatpost slips and twists. I think I must be missing some kind of clip. The seat post itself has a vertical groove that runs the whole way down the post. I think there should be something inside the cavity such as a guide which clips into the collar of the cavity and tightens the post and keep from twisting. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Comments

There should be a clamp where the seat post meets the frame ?

See here for reference https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/halfway-2018

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There should be an adjustable clamp to ensure it doesn't slip. Here's mine...in pics

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    There should be an adjustable clamp to ensure it doesn't slip. Here's mine...in pics

Yes I have the adjustable clamp. The post still slips eventually. Maybe some carbon fiber paste is needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you increased the tension by screwing the nut on the far side?

ED E wrote: »
    Have you increased the tension by screwing the nut on the far side?

Yes. I don’t want to over tighten though. But even if I do it still slips.

I have attached pics of mine, with seat post removed and in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Have you tries de-greasing the seatpost and the inside of the frame?

Have you tries de-greasing the seatpost and the inside of the frame?

No. I could try that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Carbon paste is very effective too. I had that before on an orbea, I rubbed paste onto the seatpost and it never happened again. Degrease it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

Yes. I don’t want to over tighten though. But even if I do it still slips.

I have attached pics of mine, with seat post removed and in place.

Though, in your second picture it doesn't look like the quick release lever is pushed all the way in. Compared to what TheBlaaMan posted anyway.

The lever was not pushed all the way in the second picture but I had only just popped the seat post back in to take a quick shot. Generally it gets pushed all the way.

Before I go applying carbon paste, will it still allow me to fully adjust the seat height afterward without too much friction? I’d like to be able to push the seat all the way down when folding the bike. If the paste suddenly makes it feel like I had wrapped the post in sandpaper, it might not be what I want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement