Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering interest in a property

Options
  • 09-07-2019 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

We're in the process of applying for a mortgage. There is a property that we like that would be in our budget if/when approved.
    My current thinking is to ring up the EA and let them know i'm interested in this property and would like to be kept informed of any offers made.
    Is this the best way to approach this or is there a better way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Have you been to a viewing? The best thing to do is go to a viewing and try and develop some rapport with the auctioneer. You will be better off saying that the properties along the lines of what your looking for but you're not in a position to bid at the moment. A good auctioneer will keep you in mind and might contact you again before clinching a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Going to a viewing this week.
    Are there any pertinent questions that can/should be asked about the bidding that the EA will answer, such as:
    when is the vendor looking to close?
    What price will they take it off the market for?
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'd wait until bidding to ask is there a take it off the market price. They may not throw that information out at a viewing.

We didn't really do that many viewings but would generally ask is the seller in a chain/why are they selling. Not always told why but it's helpful to know if the seller is moving abroad we saw a few houses where that was the case.

If the property is more than 15ish years old would ask has it been renovated or has plumbing etc. been redone.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Going to a viewing this week.
    Are there any pertinent questions that can/should be asked about the bidding that the EA will answer, such as:
    when is the vendor looking to close?
    What price will they take it off the market for?
    etc.

If you are not in a position to bid, you should avoid asking questions. just tell the auctioneer that you are at an early stage of seeking loan approval, but this is the kind of property you are interested in. make some positive comments such as liking the area and the property if the agent engages with you. If the agent brushes you off, don't press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

For my own interest, why would / should I avoid asking those questions?
    And so your advised approach would be to attend the viewing, speak positively of the area and house, let them know we're interested but at early stage (and in a chain?) - hope/ask that they give us the opportunity to bid should we get approval before bidding closes?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Asking questions for the sake of it will make you an annoyance. By the time you have been around a few houses you should know the value and how much you are prepared to pay. "How much" questions are for shops.

Advertisement