Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPs just put a gun to DUP's head

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Pissartist wrote: »
    You're quoting Ian paisley, hardly a reflection on all people who disagree with Ssm.

Cool, so why do you disagree with it if you do....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Cool, so why do you disagree with it if you do....

I don't disagree with it i never said that, I just wouldn't tar everyone who disagrees with me as a gay hater, for me, that's small minded and bigoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It was such a clear clean victory - knocked the stuffing out of the anti choice movement.

They haven't gone away unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ultimate trolling of the day ewe pay by Westminster, have to hand it to them.

There is literally zero chance of an assembly by 21 Oct because a) Brexit will likely be in full on brinksmanship mode at that point and Norn Iron will be a poker chip along sectarian lines and b) the cash-for-ash report will be out sometime between now and then and thats a huge part of the Stormont stalemate so.....

SSM and bodily autonomy at the stroke of a liberal pen led by Stella Creasey and Co., a total anathema to Arlene and Co.

Brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

And all of this is just 2 days before the biggest event in the Unionist calendar, bonfire night

• Advertisement

And all of this is just 2 days before the biggest event in the Unionist calendar, bonfire night

So there will be rainbow as well as Ivory Coast flegs on the bonfire this year I take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

So there will be rainbow as well as Ivory Coast flegs on the bonfire this year I take it.

I struggle to believe SSM is that big an issue for people in the north though??

It was just the DUP being childish and againest it because republicans wanted it.....kinda like howd they prob rather blur,to oasis on same logic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I expect plenty of Unionists will be very happy with the result ie, those that want the right to abortion and LGBT wishing to get married - they will be doing the happy burning

The religious conservatives will be doing the sad burning :( The DUP don't speak for the entire Unionist community

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder would it work if we just put a trail of bananas all the way back to Stormount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

LOL

Which Loyal Orange Lodge are you a member of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ultimate trolling of the day ewe pay by Westminster, have to hand it to them.

There is literally zero chance of an assembly by 21 Oct because a) Brexit will likely be in full on brinksmanship mode at that point and Norn Iron will be a poker chip along sectarian lines and b) the cash-for-ash report will be out sometime between now and then and thats a huge part of the Stormont stalemate so.....

SSM and bodily autonomy at the stroke of a liberal pen led by Stella Creasey and Co., a total anathema to Arlene and Co.

Brilliant.

Excellent work by them, let's not forget that it was Conor McGinn, a south Armagh fella that got this moving.

Theres quite a difference between the type of working class loyalist areas that are big into febrile bonfire nights and the arch-conservative DUP/TUV types who will balk at this societal landmine today, so I don't see any particular increased risk of trouble on the streets beyond the usual blackguarding.

Besides, its not like the pan-Unionist family can have much of a complaint about a law passed by her Royal Majesty's Queenie's Parliament in the Capital of the Empire!

I can't stop giggling frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Which Loyal Orange Lodge are you a member of?

Terry's Chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,607 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There won't be a shinner to be found up north this side of Halloween lest Stormont get going again... "new fone, who dis?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The DUP knew this was coming. Now it will go through and they can blame the government. Sinn Fein will see this as an advancement of the equality agenda and that the DUP have swallowed a decent bit of pain, so Sinn Fein will agree to go back into Stormont too. Power Sharing will be up and running by winter.

This is good news for DUP and bad for SF.

DUP leadership were probably not anti gay marriage/choice but had to be seen to oppose it due to their members opinions.
    Now the leadership can say we fought against it as best we could and its being forced on us- while still saying they are remaining true to their beliefs.

SF were apealing to the Gay/feminist/liberal protestant vote- now they have no reason to vote SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Chiparus wrote: »
    This is good news for DUP and bad for SF.

DUP leadership were probably not anti gay marriage/choice but had to be seen to oppose it due to their members opinions.

You think the DUP leadership don't have the same beliefs as their membership and supporters? I always assumed they were genuine, at least on that front.

Chiparus wrote: »
    DUP leadership were probably not anti gay

They've a funny way of showing it.

And of course they are, and the party always has been. Abomination is their favourite word.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not sure disagreeing with Ssm equates to hating gays

No. But this is the original "Save Ulster from Sodomy from Party" and they havent moved that much past that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is going to drive the DUP mad.

So, this makes me very happy.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Not sure disagreeing with Ssm equates to hating gays

Being anti ssm would mean being pro oppression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They've a funny way of showing it.

And of course they are, and the party always has been. Abomination is their favourite word.

Or are they exploiting the prejudices of their supporters for electoral advantage, the way Fiaana Fail used to and the Republican Party in America still does.
    Would a party led by true bigots have permitted this?
    https://www.irishnews.com/news/localelection2019/2019/04/19/news/dup-woman-is-party-s-first-openly-gay-politician-1601209/

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Does anyone know if each MP's voting records for yesterdays votes are published anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Does anyone know if each MP's voting records for yesterdays votes are published anywhere?

I read in the Irish times who voted with the DUP didn't name all the MPs, but definitely named one.
    Just 65 Conservatives joined the DUP in voting against Mr McGinn’s amendment. Some 84 Conservatives, five Labour, two SNP MPs and Independent Unionist Sylvia Hermon voted with the DUP against the abortion referendum.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/07/09/heres-how-every-mp-voted-on-equal-marriage-in-northern-ireland/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I saw a really good link on twitter will see if I can dig it out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Could sinn fein stall the whole thing till after oct to let it go through?

I was thinking the exact same thing. After all, it's exactly what the DUP did to Brexit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Such a pity that the degeneracy of same sex marriage and abortion will be introduced into Northern Ireland. One of the last bastions of morality and traditional values being dragged through the mud.

• Advertisement

Awwwww diddums.

Advertisement