Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CA diary

• 09-07-2019 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Currently trying to complete my CA diary (what a nightmare!).

Does anyone have any cheat sheets or the like they could PM me that would assist me with this?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

All I know is get it done. One of the lads in my place didn't bother, tried to do it all in the one go, and they weren't happy. He had to do another 6 months extension on his contract at a non qualified wage. It's supposed to be locked down regularly with reviews from your mentor to show progression.

Just write it to say I done this, I done that, I am now able to, I now better understand, blah blah blah, and put the competency references in brackets.

E.g I prepared adjusting journal entries for the client in sector, client size, I drafted advice on the financial reporting treatment. I now better understand IAS16 (FA01 or competency ref)

So 1. Set the scene / give brief context, 2. Explain what you done 3. Explain how you developed competency (and quote competency ref). Have a minimum of 1 entry a month and make sure you have a good blend, as you need to hit each of those competencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Do what myshirt has recommended you and check the resources in the CA Diary Resources page

You can ask around to other people that have fill out their diaries but better if you ask people working in similar places to you. If you know someone in a Big 4 working in Audit their diary is not going to be of much use if you work on a small/ medium practice doing accounts and tax.

And always, always remember to tag the diary entry, not just the post, but within the paragraphs. No matter what you have written and how well your entry may be they want the tagging in the paragraphs as well as in the log entry

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CAIgirl

myshirt wrote: »
    All I know is get it done. One of the lads in my place didn't bother, tried to do it all in the one go, and they weren't happy. He had to do another 6 months extension on his contract at a non qualified wage. It's supposed to be locked down regularly with reviews from your mentor to show progression.

Just write it to say I done this, I done that, I am now able to, I now better understand, blah blah blah, and put the competency references in brackets.

E.g I prepared adjusting journal entries for the client in sector, client size, I drafted advice on the financial reporting treatment. I now better understand IAS16 (FA01 or competency ref)

So 1. Set the scene / give brief context, 2. Explain what you done 3. Explain how you developed competency (and quote competency ref). Have a minimum of 1 entry a month and make sure you have a good blend, as you need to hit each of those competencies.

**** , Did that actually happend ? I passed last October. I still haven’t applied yet . You get a year from your pass date. I have all the diaries done but but never put them on system yet going to do it this weekend. Really hope that doesn’t happen to me. In our place everyone does it last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CAIgirl

How long should each month be? Is it just a paragraph?

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

CAIgirl wrote: »
    How long should each month be? Is it just a paragraph?

Thanks,

They usually say that about 2 or 3 good paragraphs. By that I always thought of at least 5 or 6 lines per paragraph covering whatever you did during the month and trying to cover as many competencies as possible on them. Check your time sheets and summarised whatever you did during the month, tag competencies and try to cover all the compulsory ones each year in their corresponding level.

If you change jobs/practices/industry it is more than likely that that year you will have at least one entry at a lower level because whenever you start a job if there is a big change the first few weeks you are effectively reviewing the basics

• Advertisement
Advertisement