Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants to sell

Options
  • 09-07-2019 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

How much notice is required if my landlord is planning on selling the house? I've been in it for 10 years, never been in arrears or caused any issues.

I've checked citizens info and treshold but they don't give any clear advice on if the owner is going to sell.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Hi all,

How much notice is required if my landlord is planning on selling the house? I've been in it for 10 years, never been in arrears or caused any issues.

I've checked citizens info and treshold but they don't give any clear advice on if the owner is going to sell.

TIA

224 days as per rtb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

So, does that mean they have to give me 224 days before the house can be advertised for sale?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So, does that mean they have to give me 224 days before the house can be advertised for sale?

Assuming valid notice is given and all the right declarations provided you are out by the end of 224 days

No it can be advertised whenever the landlord likes. They should work with u with reasonable notice if there are to be any viewings while you're still there .

Can it be sold before the 224 days though?

• Advertisement

Can it be sold before the 224 days though?

Even if it was it wouldn't affect you .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Homer

It can be sold while you are there but with a proviso in the contract that the sale closes on or after the 224 days are up.

Okay, you've put my mind at ease, thanks for all your answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

It's still the landlords house.

224 days is 8 months.....gives you plenty of time to look for a new place.

If I were you I'd start looking now. Better to have somewhere new to live now than nowhere to live in 8 months.

I will have somewhere by then, I was worried I could be turfed out immediately if they house was sold.

• Advertisement

Homer wrote: »
    It can be sold while you are there but with a proviso in the contract that the sale closes on or after the 224 days are up.

Surely the sale can close before hand also (foolish for the buyer but houses can be sold with tenants in situ).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Surely the sale can close before hand also (foolish for the buyer but houses can be sold with tenants in situ).

Unlikkely a bank will give a mortgage without vacant possession. It is also mre difficult to market an occupied property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Unlikkely a bank will give a mortgage without vacant possession. It is also mre difficult to market an occupied property.

Yep, if the mortgage is for an owner-occupied home, the bank almost certainly won't allow drawdown with a tenant still in the property. Only way that it gets sold with a tenant in situ, notice issued or not, is a (foolish) cash buyer or as a buy-to-let.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Landlord is bound by the notice periods as pointed out and may be happy for you to stay the period. If he's anxious to sell though he may offer you an inducement to leave.

Would recommend clarifying your own notice period with him in the event you find something sooner.

Advertisement