Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed, need things to do

Options
  • 09-07-2019 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I finished college last year, and am looking for a job. In the meantime, though, I have nothing to do a lot of the time. Can anyone recommend things to do in Cork during the day or evening for someone who is completely bored? Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Try volunteering somewhere..can help with your job search as well by expanding your network of contacts..

http://www.volunteercork.ie/search/

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

Try volunteering somewhere..can help with your job search as well by expanding your network of contacts..

Thank you, appreciate your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

What did you do in college ? Would it affect what kind of job you might take to alleviate your boredom ? Dunno if you are male or female but If you are willing to work for minimum wage you could walk into a job tomorrow. Warehousing jobs for males are a dime a dozen.

Heckler wrote: »
    What did you do in college ? Would it affect what kind of job you might take to alleviate your boredom ? Dunno if you are male or female but If you are willing to work for minimum wage you could walk into a job tomorrow. Warehousing jobs for males are a dime a dozen.
    Hi Heckler, I did a Masters in English. I'm not male, so I doubt I'd be hired for a warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

ash777 wrote: »
    Hi Heckler, I did a Masters in English. I'm not male, so I doubt I'd be hired for a warehouse.

I don't know what type of jobs a Masters in English might involve but if you're looking to keep busy and earn some money while looking places like EMC, Stryker, Boston Scientific etc are always looking for people. Stryker is a well paid gig at entry level. No qualifications needed, training provided.

If you just want to pass the day I dunno. Volunteer for a charity eg. working in a St. Vincent de Paul shop. Learn an instrument/language,try painting/writing, do an online/evening course. Lots of choices really.

Best of luck with it. Don't sit around waiting for something to happen !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Teach yourself HTML, DITA-XML and a few things like that and work your way towards a tech writing job. I know some companies who will be hiring in this area very soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Volunteer with adult literacy groups?
    Volunteering always looks better than empty space on a CV.
    What line of work are you hoping to go into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

spurious wrote: »
    Volunteer with adult literacy groups?
    Volunteering always looks better than empty space on a CV.
    What line of work are you hoping to go into?

This.
    Unaccounted for times in a CV draw attention. Voluntary work will stand to you, might even open a door or two. Do something that will provide experience of being with people.
    (Obvs not prostitution or a massage parlour).

Thanks for all the replies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Cope foundation are also looking for volunteers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Abtran are probably hiring.

Even though they have high turnover of staff and in some departments a toxic atmosphere.

But not everywhere is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Teach yourself HTML, DITA-XML and a few things like that and work your way towards a tech writing job. I know some companies who will be hiring in this area very soon.

#learntocode

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I finished college last year, and am looking for a job. In the meantime, though, I have nothing to do a lot of the time. Can anyone recommend things to do in Cork during the day or evening for someone who is completely bored? Thanks so much.
    Tidy towns/ homeless/ penny dinners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

What does an MSc in English do?
    Teaching?
    Writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Yurt! wrote: »
    #learntocode

It got me a job starting at 50k plus 40k shares 6 years ago, now moving to the US making a lot more than that so valid advice and I had no code experience prior :)

If you have a degree in English, this is a great path to go down and this is not just generic #learntocode advice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get up at 8am/9am every day during the week, you would be surprised how much this motivates you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Get up at 8am/9am every day during the week, you would be surprised how much this motivates you.

The most motivational part is knowing Leo and his buddies are on your side, simply because you get up early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Organise lifts and climb as many hills and mountains as you possibly can. It'll benefit you hugely in terms of fitness and its something you won't be able to do later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Boston scientific and medtronic are crying out for workers

Thanks to everyone for the replies. If anyone wants to chime in, work away. The suggestions are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭sparkledrum

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Boston scientific and medtronic are crying out for workers

What kind of workers? I just looked at Boston scientific website and its hi tech staff they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

What kind of workers? I just looked at Boston scientific website and its hi tech staff they're looking for.

Kelly services recruit for the operators on the line, try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

First things first though. Do you know what you would like to be working at in the future? Getting a short term gig is fine in the short term but any type of experience in an area which you are actually interested in would be invaluable in the long term.

Advertisement