Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Cooper SE (EV)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I had a first gen BMW Mini Cooper S. The throttle response or fuelling was the worst of any car I've ever driven, it would randomly refuse to pull out of junctions. So electric would be a big improvement.

But it's a bit disingenuous to say that this is cheaper than the petrol equivalent. The petrol equivalent is a Mini One. Judged in EV terms, this is a slow car. It's slower than a Kona!

One day they'll create a proper ground up Mini EV with RWD and cleverly packaged battery. In the mean time I'm sure this will sell well regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    I had a first gen BMW Mini Cooper S. The throttle response or fuelling was the worst of any car I've ever driven, it would randomly refuse to pull out of junctions. So electric would be a big improvement.

But it's a bit disingenuous to say that this is cheaper than the petrol equivalent. The petrol equivalent is a Mini One. Judged in EV terms, this is a slow car. It's slower than a Kona!

One day they'll create a proper ground up Mini EV with RWD and cleverly packaged battery. In the mean time I'm sure this will sell well regardless.

So its cheaper than the petrol equivalent then..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They've specced the Mini EV at the same level as the Cooper S.
    Saying the Mini EV is the same as the Mini One is like saying the Leaf is the same as the Micra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

when are opening ordering in ireland, for a lot of people a mini si the 2nd car, over 20K orders in the uk is pretty impressive,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

listermint wrote: »
    So its cheaper than the petrol equivalent then..

UK pricing is £24,400 for the electric, right? (at 6:50 in that video, "that is less than the current Mini Cooper S").

...but from the UK website:

https://www.mini.co.uk/en_GB/home/range/mini-3-door-hatch/select-your-mini.html

ONE 1.5-l 3-cylinder petrol engine (102 hp) From £16,195
    COOPER 1.5-l 3-cylinder petrol engine (136 hp)
    From £17,635
    COOPER S 2.0-l 4-cylinder petrol engine (192 hp) From £20,925
    JOHN COOPER WORKS 2.0-l 4-cylinder petrol engine (231 hp) From £20,950

What am I missing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's confusing alright, I can only imagine they are doing the usual thing of comparing prices for cars with similar options instead of the barebones models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Old diesel wrote: »
    Guillaume Seguin at Irish EV owners association is reporting....

27,765 euros including Grant entry level

30,405 euros Mid spec

35,695 euros for top spec.

He is giving those as on the road prices.

Not bad given that the Mini is meant to be a premium offering.

Pricing for the MINI EV was released a couple of weeks ago, along with Spec details.

Pricing I got, which includes the VRT Rebate, but not the SEAI Grant is:

Level 1: €31,890
    Level 2: €34,530
    Level 3: €39,820

Spec sheet attached. No additional options available, but colour, wheel and Mirror Cap/Roof choices at the one price.

Looks good value and I can see it working for a lot of people, but for our business, it's just a shame it's a 3 door only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Will Union Flag tail lights be standard? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,670 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

R.O.R wrote: »
    Pricing I got, which includes the VRT Rebate, but not the SEAI Grant is:

Level 1: €31,890

So starting off at €26,890, I wasn't too far off in my OP :)

Any idea of availability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Isn't it basically a mini with the underpinnings of an i3? it'll sell like hotcakes.
    26k for an i3. My wife and all her friends are going to be all over this car.

• Advertisement

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Isn't it basically a mini with the underpinnings of an i3? it'll sell like hotcakes.

Yep pretty much. I too expect it to sell like hotcakes. Cheapest ICE MINI is over €21k, so just a €5k premium for going EV. Meaning a zero emissions car that's far more fun will also have a lower TCO than an ICE one.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

My wife has had 6 MINIs so far, she’s in an A4 now, but she might be tempted back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

unkel wrote: »
    Any idea of availability?

Orders placed now will be March 2020 delivery - nothing available until then.

No idea if they'll be bringing a few in for stock, or if it will all be factory order.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

It's based on a mini chassis rather than an i3 skateboard/passenger cell, so has all of the usual disadvantages of such a compromise (but of course with the corresponding development cost savings).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Got an online add for a Dublin garage today. The add says launching March 2020 from 28k Euro.

A nice new addition to EV options in Ireland!

That's pretty much spot on the price that was reported in the Irish Times back in July 2019

Reasonable enough for a premium hot hatch. I'd have it over a similarly priced Renault Zoe any day, although I realise it has considerably less range. This should keep its value well compared to most other EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Old diesel wrote: »
    There will be a WTO tarriff of 10 percent in a no deal Brexit.

I would estimate that to be 2790 on entry level based on.....

UK price BEFORE grant there of 27900 sterling.

2790 sterling is 10 percent of the 27900.

Converted to euros - that's a price of 34,136 before Irish grant.

Thus 29 k with 5 grand SEAI grant.

Will VRT be zero?????

Edit - the WTO tarriff could end up been calculated on the 27900 converted to euros.

Would add around 4/500 euros.

So around 34500 or thereabouts pre grant.

I'm actually liking this too hence trying to run the figures

Ehhhh you conveniently forgot the VRT .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

adunis wrote: »
    Ehhhh you conveniently forgot the VRT .........

The MINI EV is built in UK.

I was talking about the WTO tarriff in a hard no deal Brexit.

There is a rebate for the VRT hence I also said "will VRT be zero.

VRT will be a net figure of zero if less then 5 k because of rebate.

Edit - my post originally was in response to Unkle predicting a 26 k price for the MINI here with exchange rate and grant.

This was when UK price was known but Irish one wasn't .

That's why I mentioned the WTO tarriff because Unkles prediction didn't account for it.

I figured the UK price didn't need a WTO tarriff on it whereas in a no deal Brexit any UK built car would need a WTO tarriff added to its cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Has anyone ordered one of these yet?

I wandered into a Mini dealer last week to talk about a petrol Cooper S (I had been looking at BEV but nothing appealed to me in the current lineup). Once specced up the price was pretty mindbending (circa 47k). I mentioned I had looked at the Cooper SE and was surprised it was available to order and could be delivered before my Cupra needs to be gone. Once we did the maths a same spec Cooper SE gets delivered for 37k. Unlike the petrol version it just comes in three trim levels with no choice of options. I went with the top spec as I do like my toys and the seats are pretty class. FYI, ordered it in Moonwalk Grey, black roof, with more traditional black multi-spoke wheels rather than the hideous 'three pin plug' wheels. Also had the yellow mirrors and yellow grill bar removed.

Long story short, went in for a petrol Cooper S, came out having ordered a Cooper SE. Speculative delivery date July 1st but could be earlier.

It must be said I had a 'moment' driving home when I came to the realisation that I am currently driving my last ever petrol car having spent the last 35 years enjoying them. Looking forward to the new adventure and having to change up my habits a bit.

Also got some information on the BMW group home charger which seems pretty advanced compared to some I looked at as alternatives so have an order in for that too.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Ionised wrote: »
    Also got some information on the BMW group home charger which seems pretty advanced compared to some I looked at as alternatives so have an order in for that too.

What extras does it have?
    And how much is it?

• Advertisement

The brochure explains it better than I could...

http://www.bmwbrochures.co.uk/BMW_i_Wallbox_SP_Brochure_IRE/#p=1

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Wynner05

Has anyone ordered one of these yet?

I wandered into a Mini dealer last week to talk about a petrol Cooper S (I had been looking at BEV but nothing appealed to me in the current lineup). Once specced up the price was pretty mindbending (circa 47k). I mentioned I had looked at the Cooper SE and was surprised it was available to order and could be delivered before my Cupra needs to be gone. Once we did the maths a same spec Cooper SE gets delivered for 37k. Unlike the petrol version it just comes in three trim levels with no choice of options. I went with the top spec as I do like my toys and the seats are pretty class. FYI, ordered it in Moonwalk Grey, black roof, with more traditional black multi-spoke wheels rather than the hideous 'three pin plug' wheels. Also had the yellow mirrors and yellow grill bar removed.

Long story short, went in for a petrol Cooper S, came out having ordered a Cooper SE. Speculative delivery date July 1st but could be earlier.

It must be said I had a 'moment' driving home when I came to the realisation that I am currently driving my last ever petrol car having spent the last 35 years enjoying them. Looking forward to the new adventure and having to change up my habits a bit.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

I’m very intrigued by this, I’ve been looking at the Mini SE and I also have a Cupra for trade in.
    Are you happy with the trade? I think if the deal looks right I might go down the same route as yourself.

Wynner05 wrote:
    I’m very intrigued by this, I’ve been looking at the Mini SE and I also have a Cupra for trade in. Are you happy with the trade? I think if the deal looks right I might go down the same route as yourself.

Got a pretty good trade, at least one I was happy with considering the condition and miles on mine. Top spec Mini I reckon is a fair deal with the 10k discount. Less so without it.

Top spec Mini I reckon is a fair deal with the 10k discount. Less so without it.

Most EVs even after the 10k discount are poor value for money. The MINI EV is one of the few exceptions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

How is the Mini such good value. I’m a new Mini fan (in my third Cooper S) but I would never have seen them as offering value for money new. Great to see that turned on its head.

Marcusm wrote: »
    How is the Mini such good value. I’m a new Mini fan (in my third Cooper S) but I would never have seen them as offering value for money new. Great to see that turned on its head.

Funny you mention that. It was the same for the BMW i3. Always ridiculously overpriced - although it does have some very high quality components like a carbon fibre body - but they kept the price about the same or lowering it over the years, while increasing the range. The current model is down to €36k with a range of over 300km. That's a lot of premium EV for your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Marcusm wrote: »

Is it not a basically a part bin special? Existing Mini with parts from the i3. So cheaper in terms of R&D. I don't mean this negatively. Its looks great fun. But thats how its cheaper. Same thing with the SEAT Mii Electric.

Also its very small the back seats with short range. So its not for everyone. I'd love one, but the size in the back is too small for us.

Most of the value in the EV Mini is the 10k government subsidy.
    Reviews generally very positive despite range comments.
    I'm looking forward to delivery, if a tad anxious leaving the comfort of petrol after all these years.

Most of the value in the EV Mini is the 10k government subsidy.

That's a funny way of saying it. I feel most EVs are poor value despite the 10k government subsidy. MINI EV is one of the few exceptions. As is the BMW i3 (€36k), the eGolf (just reduced again to about €28k) and the Tesla Model 3 Performance (61k). Pretty much all other EVs are overpriced for what they are imho

• Advertisement

Apparently today (March 1st) is the day the embargo lifted for the Mini Cooper SE test drives at dealers.
    I was lucky enough to have a short test drive on Saturday.

I'm sure somebody will get a longer test drive soon and give a more thorough review. The car I was driving was the Mini Cooper SE Level 2. The inside had a great fit and feel, typical Mini quality. The TFT floating binnacle was a really nice touch. The car felt very stable and planted, if you've driven an e-Golf I'd say it's very comparable. It has a rated range of 235km so I'm putting this in the bucket of approx 200km range cars.

I've been a fan of Mini's since childhood, I spent Sunday trying to figure out if I'd be happy buying one over the ID.3, the heart is saying buy the Mini, the head is saying get the ID.3. I appreciate I'm cross-shopping a 3 door supermini against a compact hatch, but I want the ID.3 for it's MEB tech rather than it's size.

The main downside I see for the Cooper SE is that I think within the next 2/3 years it will be replaced with a new model. The Cooper SE is based on the F56 Cooper S model which was launched in 2013. I suspect this is a stopgap measure until a dedicated electric Mini can be introduced. Mini have priced this model very aggressively and I think it will sell well in its current form. Apart from this, there were only 3 things I was disappointed with, 1. No ACC, 2. No Android Auto, 3. No coast mode.

Having lived with a 200km and a 100km range car for a couple of years now, I think anyone who purchases this will be extremely happy, it will be a great introduction to EV driving. Mini's generally hold their value quite well and given the price difference between this and current 2020 models, I think a replacement model won't cause too many depreciation issues.

Advertisement