Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Cooper SE (EV)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭MarkN

I was at the media launch of the car last week (did a short video on the levels/price/range if anyone is interested, didn't get to drive it but have it booked in for later in the year to do a full review) but was impressed at the price at 27k. Obviously level two is the sweet spot in terms of price / spec and that's just over 30. I think the range is possibly a bit low to convince sceptics but the four hour to 100% using even slower chargers is a big plus. A mere half a second slower to 60mph than a Cooper S too! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,670 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

liamog wrote: »
    I've been a fan of Mini's since childhood, I spent Sunday trying to figure out if I'd be happy buying one over the ID.3, the heart is saying buy the Mini, the head is saying get the ID.3.

Might be the last time you let the heart win for quite some time to come if you're starting a family in a few years time. Plenty of time for more sensible and practical cars then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

... but I want the ID.3 for it's MEB tech rather than it's size.

What tech are you expecting in MEB?
    I dont think it has anything particularly innovative that other EV's dont already have... RWD?

Or are you just referring to the spec choice (ACC, Android auto etc) and not really MEB as such?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

KCross wrote: »
    What tech are you expecting in MEB?
    I dont think it has anything particularly innovative that other EV's dont already have... RWD?

Or are you just referring to the spec choice (ACC, Android auto etc) and not really MEB as such?

Compared to the current Cooper SE it's miles ahead, the EV drivetrain and battery on the Mini is basically a BMW I3 94Ah from 2017. I think the packaging of the ID.3 takes the best of all the current affordable (i.e. sub Tesla Model 3) EV tech and puts it in a practical package. I can't help but compare the Mini with the e-208, if they'd managed to get similar battery size and charging ability in the same package, then I think my decision would have been leaning the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

opportunity lost with such a small range IMO and others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Joe Achilles (I think) the youtuber - reckoned he was at 75 percent after 25 miles.

Based on that he estimated 100 miles real world.

Was 5 degrees and raining during his drive. Unfortunately that was on country roads.

The WLTP range of 234km is clearly not real world.

This site has it at 130km highway range (cold weather) as a worst case scenario. And combined cycle summer range of 210km. Both probably on the ball.

Linky

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

And for those who preferred Johnny, he's left Fully Charged.

Yeah, we haven't heard the last of that. Looks like he and the main video man split from the show back in January because they didn't like the direction the program was going in (more towards all things renewable and away from mainly cars?)

Jonny likes it :)

What I don't like is the Union Jack rear lights :eek: and the dash should light up a welcoming green, not red, when you drive the bollocks out of it in sport mode :D

I would buy this car in a heart beat, Liam. One of the few real good value EVs out there imho. And that list does not include any ID.3 cars...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah, we haven't heard the last of that. Looks like he and the main video man split from the show back in January because they didn't like the direction the program was going in (more towards all things renewable and away from mainly cars?)

I havent seen Jonny's explanation but Robert's explanation was that Jonny wanted to do more general car stuff (even pure ICE cars) and Robert didnt want anything being reviewed that didnt take a plug or have some renewable element to it.

That seemed like a reasonable editorial position for Robert to take imo (it is called Fully Charged after all!), but thats just one side of the story, so who knows.

When I was speaking to the dealer, he has a workaround for the Union Flag lights, he can fit replacements at cost price, and I'd get to keep the Union Flag ones.

Now that I've watched Johnny's review it's swinging me back the other way.
    I guess what I really want is an Audi A1 E-Tron on the MEB platform :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I thought the Brexit rear lights were a option, not standard?

Jonny a car guy, though hes a bit quirky. Roberts more of a tech/environmentalist. Two channels to watch now, everyone's a winner.

Robert's explanation was that Jonny wanted to do more general car stuff (even pure ICE cars

More general (non EV) car stuff? As you say that wouldn't make much sense given the name and the spirit of the show. Also Jonny kept his own channel, he could do ICE reviews there separate from FCS

More general (non EV) car stuff? As you say that wouldn't make much sense given the name and the spirit of the show.

Yes, non-EV stuff... but that's Robert's view of how it played out. I think Jonny disputes it.

Also Jonny kept his own channel, he could do ICE reviews there separate from FCS

That's what I was thinking too. That would have been the best of both worlds.

FC needs someone with a car brain. Robert doesnt have it. Jonny was a nice fit. Water under the bridge now anyway by the looks of it.

... I think Jonny disputes it.....

Where did you see that?

Nikki was hinting at a fight and "two sides of the story" so I'd say KCross is reading that right, wherever it came from.

beauf wrote: »
    Where did you see that?

I didnt see it myself.... someone said on this forum in another thread that Jonny disputed it on twitter or facebook... cant remember which.

Sorry liamog for derailing your Mini vs ID.3 conundrum! :)

Mini-e sounds like a great car if you don't need the rear doors and about 200 km of range is sufficient for you needs. It's good to get one what looks like truly drivers' car offering in the group FWD or not. It does give an impression of a stopgap car alright and I bet the next offering will be a bespoke BEV platform.

The "Traveler" version would be sweet for extra luggage capacity but that's not even available anymore as an ICE version. The coutryman is bit of a tank in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Just drove one.
    Absolutely no rear space whatsoever,unexpected but then I've never even sat in mini before.
    Drives like a strangled i3,similar tide handling refinement
    Not as "go kart" like.
    BMW build quality and finish.
    In short buy a couple of year old i3 it's got seats
    And is just slightly more polished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭quokula

adunis wrote: »
    Just drove one.
    Absolutely no rear space whatsoever,unexpected but then I've never even sat in mini before.
    Drives like a strangled i3,similar tide handling refinement
    Not as "go kart" like.
    BMW build quality and finish.
    In short buy a couple of year old i3 it's got seats
    And is just slightly more polished.

Yeah the rear space is kind of part of the deal with the Mini. My partner won't drive any other car though, we've had an ICE mini for years and will be replacing it with the SE.

What you lose in internal space you gain in ease of manoeuvring and parking around town with an extremely short car. Without kids, and with the ability to fold the back seats down if you've got bulky luggage, space has never been a problem.

If / when we need more rear space it'll probably be an upgrade to a Countryman.

Today was crunch day. I love my e-Up! but want to upgrade to a car where I can forget to charge it on a winters night without having to worry about the 2nd half of my commute. The e-Up! was originally purchased as an interim car until the Kona was available.

I've been a day 1 reservation holder on the ID.3, as I think it's going to be a great car whose range I'd be happy with for around 5/6 years. However, after last Saturday's Mini test drive, I started to really question why I wanted it. I'm a big fan of small darty cars, so I started to review what was available in the Supermini class.

Available this year, I put the list as

1. Renault Zoe
    2. Peugeot e-208/Opel Corsa-e
    3. VW e-Up!, SEAT Mii electric, Skoda CITIGO e-IV
    4. Mini Cooper SE
    5. Honda e

The VAG triplets aren't available here, I removed the Zoe from the list, as I didn't like it at the time I purchased the e-Up!. From the videos of the Honda e, it looks fun but is just a little bit too Japanese for my liking.
    So that basically left me to decide between the e-208, the Mini Cooper SE, and keeping the ID.3 reservation.

Today I took the e-208 out for a test drive, well actually I took it out twice, the first garage had a local electricity issue so their car only had a low state of charge. I won't blame the garage, as I hadn't phoned ahead to book in.
    I'd let the salesman know that I was comparing the e-208 and the Mini. He took us out on a nice varied route, I'd called out that I wanted to take it around some tight roundabouts and streets with speed bumps, as a lot of my city driving involves those types of roads. Honestly it very comfortable, but just didn't have the same peppiness as the Mini, to be honest, the acceleration felt muted between 0-40km, which is the one area my e-Up! shines in. I felt a bit of roll in the e-208 on the tight roundabouts.

We then drove back down to the Mini garage, the same guy that had been dealing with me on Saturday took me out for a longer drive. This time I asked him to take me around a few more twisty roads to give me a good feel for how planted the car is. The driving dynamics and the punchy speed of the Mini are way above the e-208. By the time we switched drivers to allow wifey to drive, I'd basically made up my mind.

For anybody considering the Mini versus the other superminis, I think the decision will come down to what you want out of a small car. None of these are motorway cruisers, but all come with enough range to make our charging network tolerable. The e-208 was a softer more comfortable ride, and will likely suit a lot of people. The extra range will help EV virgins but for me, the difference between 285km and 185km of estimated real-world range (ev-database.org) is basically a charge every 3rd day versus charge every 5th day, wifey still has her eyes set on the SEAT El-Born, so the need for a range monster has diminished.

Having just finished the Ioniq PCP, I'm happy to buy either car on a PCP deal. Comparing the e-208 GT Line, versus the Mini Cooper SE Level 2, the purchase price is approximately the same, but the GMFV is making a huge difference. I'm basically looking at an extra €130 a month to take the Peugeot. So today I've cancelled my ID.3 reservation and put down a deposit on the Mini, it's looking like a July delivery.

Level 2 is deffo the sweet spot. HUD etc is nice but not worth the extra 5k especially when there’s no difference in output / range.

So you felt the Mini did actually handle very well?

I did yes, it felt well planted when throwing it around roundabouts and a chicane, I'm comparing it to other EVs so those people who are more used to premium drivers cars may feel it's a little looser, but compared to any of the current EV supermini's it handled much better. I've haven't test drove an I3 as it's looks are offputting to me, we should really get Mad_Lad to test drive one!

I've driven an i3, wouldn't have said it was full of body roll but I would imagine the Mini is more planted alright.

So that basically left me to decide between the e-208, the Mini Cooper SE, and keeping the ID.3 reservation.

I'll be making a similar enough decision myself in the second half of this year. Probably not the mini though.

Leaning towards ID.3 for the RWD and the larger space as the kids wont be getting smaller.... it'll be down to the price when both cars are spec'd to my liking!
    Today I took the e-208 out for a test drive, ...Honestly it very comfortable, but just didn't have the same peppiness as the Mini, to be honest, the acceleration felt muted between 0-40km, which is the one area my e-Up! shines in. I felt a bit of roll in the e-208 on the tight roundabouts...The driving dynamics and the punchy speed of the Mini are way above the e-208...

Was the e208 in sport mode? I think it needs to be.
    The 0-100km/h times are very similar between Mini and e208.. Mini edges it by 0.6s, so not much in it, but maybe they have retarded the e208 at lower speeds to limit wheel spin?

A few things on the Mini... looking at mini.ie it looks like it is limited to 3.7kW AC charging or 11kW if on 3 phase? Did you check/confirm that? Would that matter to you?

And also limited to 50kW DC... that'll be a step down from the Ioniq. Does that matter to you? I guess your comparison is against the eUP, not the Ioniq?

Does the Mini have a more premium feel interior to the e208... I'd expect it does?

So today I've cancelled my ID.3 reservation and put down a deposit on the Mini, it's looking like a July delivery.

Best of luck with it.

What's the difference in range between the mini and the eUp?

Unfortunately for me if I was choosing one I'd need one with more interior space. The more practical of these seems to be the Zoe but probably the least interesting.

As a second car without those concerns the mini seems to be hard deal to beat.

Was the e208 in sport mode? I think it needs to be. The 0-100km/h times are very similar between Mini and e208.. Mini edges it by 0.6s, so not much in it, but maybe they have retarded the e208 at lower speeds to limit wheel spin?

Yes, the e-208 was in sports mode, it's not that it wasn't fast, it's just I didn't feel like it gave the same kick that came with the Mini, I suspect it's probably just a muted acceleration 0-30km to discourage slippage. The Mini is a more powerful car, it has a 135kW motor versus the 100kW on the e-208 and weighs about 100kg less.
    A few things on the Mini... looking at mini.ie it looks like it is limited to 3.7kW AC charging or 11kW if on 3 phase? Did you check/confirm that? Would that matter to you?

My understanding is that the Mini has the same 3 phase 16A charger as the I3 94Ah, it's capable of using 32A on a single phase. It could be that they are supplying a 3x16A cable. I'm not particularly fussed, I'll be keeping my 32A coiled cable and will just see what happens. So long as the car can get a decent charge in 8 hours we'll be OK. It's very rare that both cars need to charge in one night.
    And also limited to 50kW DC... that'll be a step down from the Ioniq. Does that matter to you? I guess your comparison is against the eUP, not the Ioniq?

You nailed it, the Mini is replacing my car, we'll be getting an El Born in 2021 which will have a better range and charging speed.
    Does the Mini have a more premium feel interior to the e208... I'd expect it does?

A very noticeable difference, the Mini felt much more premium inside.

If you need the space then I'd avoid the Mini, it's probably the perfect car for us DINKs, and would suit as the second car people will fight over when not taking the kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

test drove this at the weekend and thought it was great fun. doesn't feel overweight due its battery so handled quite nicely. ride was a little hard but ok.

i am trying to find out if it has adaptive cruise control as the standard driver assistance pack has it, but in the mini electric marketing it refers to this pack but does not mention 'active ' cruise control. does anybody know?

i may go back at the weekend but there was nothing obvious on the steering wheel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

I have a level 3 on order. I asked about the ACC and was told it was not available on the Mini ev.

Advertisement