Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you recommend attic stairs?

• 09-07-2019 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭

So my builder asked us if we want stairs for the attic or just leave it with a small entry.

We live in an apartment so not sure if attic is a good place to store things and looking for suggestions from your personal experience.

And ofcourse it will cost extra, how much am I looking at?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So my builder asked us if we want stairs for the attic or just leave it with a small entry.

We live in an apartment so not sure if attic is a good place to store things and looking for suggestions from your personal experience.

And ofcourse it will cost extra, how much am I looking at?

Apartment.
    You need permission from the management company.
    Also, you may be materially altering the building and it’s current Fire Safety Certificate.

You need professional advice on site IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Apologies my previous post wasn't clear enough.

We are currently living in an apartment but going to move to a semi detached house new build house soon. The new house is still under the construction and have the opportunity to have stairs for the attic.

My query is whether attic space is really useful? As we are living in an apartment at the moment and never felt the need for attic space. Do you use attic frequently to store things?

The new house has an attic but builder will charge an extra to have foldable stairs attached to the attic, how much do I expect to pay for these foldable stairs?

We are currently living in an apartment but going to move to a semi detached house new build house soon. The new house is still under the construction and have the opportunity to have stairs for the attic.

My query is whether attic space is really useful? As we are living in an apartment at the moment and never felt the need for attic space. Do you use attic frequently to store things?

The new house has an attic but builder will charge an extra to have foldable stairs attached to the attic, how much do I expect to pay for these foldable stairs?

Foldable stairs can be fitted later for about €200 or less. I paid €165 about 10 years ago in my old house for a standard metal fold down one.

If the house is still under construction I would seriously consider an extra wide opening hatch and proper fold down stairs for things like Christmas trees, hiding kids santa presents, bulky items you need once a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

Totally agree with above. I have wanted a attic stairs for years... finally got one the other day.. mind you it did cost me €425 from stira but surely the builder gave you a price for this seeing as he recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Get a foldable wooden ladder ( not one of those aluminium things). Get the ope as big as you can. Get the attic decked. Get the place well lit. Heck, if you can get a Velux in there whilst at it.

It costs buttons in the scheme of things and you will most definitely use it: decorations, suitcases, bulk shopping deals, winter duvets, childrens clothes given you but not yet fitting.

Unless you are a particularily ruthless minimalist you will accumulate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

100% agree we use attic stairs all the time, if you have budget get proper flooring too making it easy to store stuff and avoid a foot through the ceiling!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Make sure it’s suitably air-sealed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Definitely get an attic stairs, its invaluable. You'll be cursing it otherwise every time you need access, messing around with step ladders (dangerous too!) and tiny hatches that you can't fit anything bulky through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

ipodrocker wrote: »
    ...if you have budget get proper flooring too making it easy to store stuff and avoid a foot through the ceiling!

Agree! I have put grooved chipboard flooring in my attic, to make it easier I have not put the chipboard all the way under the roof edge. When putting the floor, consider putting it on raisers to allow wiring and piping to lay on floor rafters.

BryanF wrote: »
    Make sure it’s suitably air-sealed

+1 on this also.
    You need to check the route of your thermal envelope and Air Tightness layer as cutting a big hole for a stairs will be madness without addressing it.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.

So yea i will get the builder to make a bigger opening with a latch door and wooden stairs. Althoght not sure if I will have the budget for attic flooring.

It's so good that people mentioned examples of what we can keep up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I was doing a big job on my house.. wiring, plumbing, plastering.. got the attic done (plaster,floors, skirting,radiator, sockets, light).

If i had the budget I'd have put velux windows and maybe even a proper staircase up to it.. but had to settle with a staire (or something similar) and a bright lightbulb.

It looks great and cost so little to do all the work, vs the cost and disruption of getting in tradesmen years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

...not sure if I will have the budget for attic flooring...

Do it yourself? Chipboard is not expensive; slightly difficult part is to cut it nicely around roof struts and other obstacles, but it is doable with a pencil and a handheld saw.

UPDATE:

In the process of getting a new built semi D home, still under construction and requested builder to get an attic, to store items later on. Got this quote :

Supply & fit folding attic stairs €550
    Supply & fit attic flooring 3.2m wide x 4.6m long €530
    Altered Insulation under attic flooring €175

Plus VAT of 13.5%

Is this a good quote? Any opinions please?
    Or any additional item to be fitted in attic?

Thanks

UPDATE:

In the process of getting a new built semi D home, still under construction and requested builder to get an attic, to store items later on. Got this quote :

Supply & fit folding attic stairs €550
    Supply & fit attic flooring 3.2m wide x 4.6m long €530
    Altered Insulation under attic flooring €175

Plus VAT of 13.5%

Is this a good quote? Any opinions please?
    Or any additional item to be fitted in attic?

Thanks

To get it done during construction then I’d pay a small premium.
    Remember the hassle to get it done afterwards, especially the wider opening and pull down stairs.

I’d get as much flooring as possible but bear in mind this will effect the attic insulation placement so they’ll have to build it up on stilts as such.

Also get a light and maybe a socket or 2.

A Velux to the rear for some natural light would be a big bonus.

Thanks so much.

The electric wiring is costing a lot to get to the attic. So I am thinking to get LED lights with battery in them.
    kceire wrote: »
    To get it done during construction then I’d pay a small premium.
    Remember the hassle to get it done afterwards, especially the wider opening and pull down stairs.

I’d get as much flooring as possible but bear in mind this will effect the attic insulation placement so they’ll have to build it up on stilts as such.

Also get a light and maybe a socket or 2.

A Velux to the rear for some natural light would be a big bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Thanks so much.

The electric wiring is costing a lot to get to the attic. So I am thinking to get LED lights with battery in them.

Could you do a safe botch-job.. Like running a tidy extension lead to the attic somehow, or sacrificing a socket in another room to get a wire into the attic that you could at least plug a free-standing lamp into?
    You're spending so much money already.. Battery LEDs sound horrible.

Advertisement