Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Took my aunt home this evening - her post box had been stolen!!!

Options
  • 10-07-2019 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

I'm a little shocked, and a bit upset really for my elderly aunt, who arrived home this evening to discover that her cast iron (I think that's what it was) postbox, attached to the front of the house, with a rose on it, had been stolen - all the bolts, screws taken off - front of house completely undisturbed - no real mark left - it's a mid terraced house in a well-regarded estate in North Dublin. I suppose we have people breaking in taking mummys from Church crypts, so an elderly lady's postbox is not nearly so dramatic, but still upsetting, quite a low thing to do really. My aunt this evening was afraid now to stay in her house, and I am starying with her for tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Hannaho wrote: »
    so an elderly lady's postbox is not nearly so dramatic, but still upsetting, quite a low thing to do really. My aunt this evening was afraid now to stay in her house, and I am starying with her for tonight.

It's really sad as its the feeling of not being safe in her home which will linger.

Please report it to the Garda and if she had not emptied it check if she would have had any important letters comming.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,795 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It isn't possibly a managed estate? May have been removed on orders of the management company

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hannaho

No, it isn't a managed estate. Lots of the other houses have post boxes stuck to the outside of their walls, near their front doors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's awful - the cheek! Have you done the rounds of the neighbours, asking if they saw anything unusual? Or if there's a Facebook page for the estate maybe someone posted in it about someone behaving strangely. Our estate have a page and people are good about posting that sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

L1011 wrote: »
    It isn't possibly a managed estate? May have been removed on orders of the management company

Even if it is a manage estate, what kind of a ridiculous rule is that? wtf is wrong with Ireland and the sterile house?

Who the hell steals a post box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,795 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even if it is a manage estate, what kind of a ridiculous rule is that? wtf is wrong with Ireland and the sterile house?

Managed estates have rules on appearance and occasional little Hitlers who enforce them to an incredible extent

As goes who may otherwise steal one - its metal, it has some scrap value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

L1011 wrote: »
    Managed estates have rules on appearance and occasional little Hitlers who enforce them to an incredible extent

Oh I know about management rules, and they can be absolutely idiotic. Especially when implemented after the units have been purchased. I certainly wouldn't abide by such nonsensical rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

That's really lousy OP! Reminds me of a friend who bought a an expensive designer Christmas wreath to hang on her front door last Christmas. It was stolen the next day!! Someone stealing it so that they could celebrate the season of "goodwill"!! Somehow I think the irony was lost on the thief!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My dads neighbour went out to water her hanging baskets and they were gone! They live in a cul de sac in a cul de sac so wasn't just an opportunist passing by. Having said that there have been a spate of attempted break ins and actual break ins on the road recently. AGS have recommended CCTV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

We used to regularly get our postbox blow apart by bangers. Rural location and kids would drive out of town late at night and "bomb" every postbox in the area, time you got out to them they'd driven off.

Just put up a new box inside the gate where its not obvious from the road and no trouble since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I caught 3 young lads robbing them off houses in fox rock years ago... There were doing it for a laugh ...

They weren't finding it as funny when the guards showed up. They were from the area and it was only fluke I was there as wasn't from there.

Dovies wrote: »
    My dads neighbour went out to water her hanging baskets and they were gone! They live in a cul de sac in a cul de sac so wasn't just an opportunist passing by. Having said that there have been a spate of attempted break ins and actual break ins on the road recently. AGS have recommended CCTV!

There is a certain group that will take anything that's easy as they go looking for skips and scrap....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One Mother's Day we got up to find that all the daffodils had been nicked.

is_that_so wrote: »
    One Mother's Day we got up to find that all the daffodils had been nicked.

Ah reminds me the year all the car reg plates were taken off a very long main road....

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Thanks for all the replies. I don't feel so bad now that I know others have had similar experiences. Her house is in a small cul de sac of about 10 houses. Several years ago - 2011- I think, her house was broken into while she was away. It was broken into around 5 p.m. on a May evening - the neighbours called me when they saw the upstairs front window hanging off, and they knew she wasn't there. Amazingly, no one saw anything or saw the burglar trying to take off the upstairs front window.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Once when i was living in the UK neighbours did their front garden out with new shrubs, potted plants etc. they were stolen a day or so later but dopey thieves used a wheelbarrow and left a trail upto the next cul de sac, cue a raid to get the plants back and destroy the rest of the robbers garden.
    Them were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

But the post office has been stolen
    And the mail box is locked
    Dylan from " Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again "
    First thing that came to my mind.

Advertisement