Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XR - Worth Buying?

Options
  • 10-07-2019 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

My iPhone SE is on the way out and I need to replace it. I'd have happily kept it for another few years but it's not up to the task so I'm reluctantly going to buy another one soon and seeing as I only buy a new phone every 3 years or so I'm no expert on what the new models are like. From what I've read it seem that the XR is the one I should go for as I'm not after any gimmicks and I don't particularly want to spend €1000+ on a phone that apparently does little more than my 3 year old SE so the cheapest one would do me I'd say.

Do many people here have the XR? If so, do they recommend it?
    Is the battery life actually any good?
    Is 128GB suitable for this model or does it need more?
    And the most important question - I'm going to the US in a few weeks - would I be better off holding out til then and buying one there?

I'm only looking for a factory sim free one and came across this ad - what's the catch here? 100% positive feedback - how is he selling them that cheap? https://www.adverts.ie/apple/new-iphone-xr/18331424

Sorry for all the elementary questions but I'm genuinely clueless about these nowadays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I actually got myself an XR just last week and so far I’m very happy. Battery is a monster (by midnight last night I had 50% left and I’d been using it normal throughout the day), I’m impressed by the camera (coming from an 8+) and so yeah I’m happy. It’s nothing exciting but that’s fine. I only ever get 64g phones now because I am apple across iPad, iPhone and Mac so everything is stored in cloud. I don’t do mad amount of gaming or intensive apps on my phone, I’ve my iPad for that if I want.

Coming from an SE you’ll see a massive jump I reckon, especially in size so be prepared for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I got an XR about a month ago, my first apple phone.

Have to say I love it. It's battery life, as mentioned above, is a cut above any phone I've ever used. It's performance is lightning fast, the camera is excellent and the screen, despite things you might read about it, is bright, clear and vibrant. Couldn't really ask for more from a hardware perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

Simple answer is yes

I was with apple for years moved to Samsung S8 and returned to XR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Thanks for the replies all, great to hear such positive comments, especially regarding the battery life which has been a major issue on every iPhone I’ve had up to now. Would love to hear more thoughts and opinions from those that are familiar with it.
    Coming from an SE you’ll see a massive jump I reckon, especially in size so be prepared for that.

Yeah I love the size of the SE but I’ve accepted now that there’s no modern alternative the same size and that I’ll have to get used to having a mini iPad in my pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Went from an iPhone 5 to an XR four months ago after much deliberation and research on all the other models, mainly because of the price. I also have iPad and Mac so storage not an issue. Battery life is awesome, the camera is great and Face ID is really good. The biggest change I had to overcome is the sheer size of it, but it now just feels normal sized to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd have no trouble recommending the XR except for one thing which has already been said but is worth repeating: it's a lot bigger and heavier than the SE. I'd recommend handling it in person before you decide to buy. I went from the 6s to the XR and while I've mostly gotten used to the larger size and not being able to comfortably use it one-handed, I still find the bulk of it a bit too much. If the next gen X has better battery life I may switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I'd have no trouble recommending the XR except for one thing which has already been said but is worth repeating: it's a lot bigger and heavier than the SE. I'd recommend handling it in person before you decide to buy. I went from the 6s to the XR and while I've mostly gotten used to the larger size and not being able to comfortably use it one-handed, I still find the bulk of it a bit too much. If the next gen X has better battery life I may switch.

I swapped form the XR to XS for this very reason. Just found the bulk & weight of it was too much for me. Had it for a couple of weeks. Absolutely delighted with the XS overall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Had the xr for 6mths. Superb all rounder. Daughter bought it and I’ve just upgraded to XS Max. Battery life on xr was superb (better that the max). Screen gets a lot of flack on review forums but more than good enough. And as for the size: 99% of converts from a smaller handset would never go back. You will not regret it. If you still had reservations about the size, then the XS would be the optimum upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I was debating for weeks whether to get an XR or XS (previously had a 7+). I decided in the end that it's only a phone and the crazy price of the XS wasn't worth it. No regrets at all, the XR is a lovely phone. The battery is great, always have some left at the end of the day. The screen is perfectly good too. I got the 128Gb as that's what my 7+ was, although I store stuff in the cloud so I can access on my ipad and download movies to the ipad for travel so I rarely go over 64Gb used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Received my new XR today. I based my decision on the replies to this thread, so thanks everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Received my new XR today. I based my decision on the replies to this thread, so thanks everyone :)

Thinking of going for one myself. Was going to get the S10 Plus but security and simplicity still pulls me back to Apple every time.

Let me know here how ya get on with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

moved from SE to XR this week. So far so good.

It is big, and your thumb wont reach to the top left corner (and is the reason Steve jobs didnt like big screens) but I'm more than happy. The screen quality is also spot on. Maybe theres better, but from my perspective upgrading from the SE, its great.

I'm even noticing much better internet speeds over 3g (stupid work contract doesnt have LTE) which could be coincidence but it seems to have a better aerial or something. I thought I'd hate the face recognition thing, and nearly went for the 8 to still have a button, but finding it grand. The switching between apps is different when youve no button, but possibly now is even better. You arent going between button and screen the whole time, you just interact with the screen.

Advertisement