Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTX 2070 recommendation

Options
  • 10-07-2019 7:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I am looking to upgrade from a GTX 970 to a GTX 2070 but there's so many options. Price range is €500 max delivered to Germany. I am familiar with ASUS and MSI.

I believe my monitor is capable of gsync and free sync (ASUS VG278Q).

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 2070 is pretty redundant now with the 2060 Super released, it's cheaper and pretty much identical performance wise.

Also the new Radeon 5700XT for the same price and it's faster, though currently only mediocre reference cooler models available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The 2070 is pretty redundant now with the 2060 Super released, it's cheaper and pretty much identical performance wise.

Also the new Radeon 5700XT for the same price and it's faster, though currently only mediocre reference cooler models available.

Redundant? The card is less than a year old :eek:. What does the 2060 compete with?

So the reference cooler for the 5700xt is not that great?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Redundant? The card is less than a year old :eek:. What does the 2060 compete with?

Yeah I don't think NVidia are going to sell the standard 2070 anymore. Look at the 2060 Super alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Basically Nvidia are shifting their product stack.
    So the 2060 Super is basically a 2070 Lite, while the 2070 Super is a 2080 Lite. :pac:

Also, "1 year" is a long time between graphics cards. At least it's not like the old days, when next-gen basically made the previous gen completely redundant!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asus-rog-strix-rtx2060s-8g-gaming-graphics-card-2-free-games-495-postage-at-box-3260314

£365 for an Asus ROG Strix 2060 Super from Box. Think that's cheaper than the 2070 was?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It is cheaper but that's what we all expected? It was always planned to sell for the same price as the 2060 RRP, while the older card would see a price cut.

That is a good deal though considering it's a Strix card.

It makes sense for some people to buy a cheaper 2060 over a 2060 Super, but right now the 'old' RTX2070 doesn't make any sense at all. Costs a fair whack more than the 2060 Super despite being basically the same card.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

It is cheaper but that's what we all expected? It was always planned to sell for the same price as the 2060 RRP, while the older card would see a price cut.

That is a good deal though considering it's a Strix card.

It makes sense for some people to buy a cheaper 2060 over a 2060 Super, but right now the 'old' RTX2070 doesn't make any sense at all. Costs a fair whack more than the 2060 Super despite being basically the same card.

Any thoughts on this Card?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K7QX37Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P98T83Q2GFN1&psc=1

Zadkiel wrote: »

It's very good.
    Best-in-class noise & thermals, as expected of Palit Super Jetstream cards.

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/132452-palit-geforce-rtx-2070-super-js/?page=11

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It's very good.
    Best-in-class noise & thermals, as expected of Palit Super Jetstream cards.

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/132452-palit-geforce-rtx-2070-super-js/?page=11

Thanks for the reply K.O

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Scratch that, it is a super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yeah, maybe only get the RTX 2070 'non-super' if they start selling the old stock at a discount. At the moment they seem to be around the €500 price point.

Also, be careful with those Palit cards, some of them are called "Super Jetstream", but aren't actually RTX Super cards (if the release date is 2018, then it probably wouldn't be a RTX super card).

Damn, I got caught out by that as well - @Zadkiel don't buy that card, it's a regular RTX 2070.

The seller is sketchy AF, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Op just wait for the 5700xt and 2070 supers with decent coolers. Probably next month for both.

Bit more time for the dust to settle on benchmarks as well. It's going to be pretty close between the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Super cards are a paper launch so for any showing up this soon will have a huge early adopter tax on them. Best to wait a month at least imho.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Damn, I got caught out by that as well - @Zadkiel don't buy that card, it's a regular RTX 2070.

The seller is sketchy AF, too.

Good call ! Thanks

Polar101 wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe only get the RTX 2070 'non-super' if they start selling the old stock at a discount. At the moment they seem to be around the €500 price point.

Also, be careful with those Palit cards, some of them are called "Super Jetstream", but aren't actually RTX Super cards (if the release date is 2018, then it probably wouldn't be a RTX super card).

Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MSI RADEON 5700 XT 8G for £339 but shipping showing as 1-3 months.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TSKQ3B1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_w8UjDbE0B10G9

Edit: sorry see you asked specifically for a 2070.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I am kind of same boat as OP, I had an msi gtx970 for 4 years now, been a great purchase. However, I started dabbling in VR lately and I am kind of finding it to be showing itself as minimum spec (which it is). Was thinking of taking the leap to a 2070 but now with the super, I am on hold again. Is it worth placing a pre order now on an S and waiting? Also are there any particular brands that are better quality these days, as I am kind of out of the loop on this stuff. I was always a msi kind of person but was looking at evga also. Any particular thoughts would help, thanks.

I've an EVGA card. No problems with it and very quiet under load too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

EVGA got stung a little bit on their first generation of Pascal cards. This had the effect of making them paranoid and slapping about a bazillion sensors on the newer boards. Personally I like sensors :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Thanks, I am leaning more towards evga now. Any recommended retailers to pick one up from. I understand they are new, so will take a while for a steady supply. Some sites offer pre orders, evga themselves only seem to offer a notification. Should I cool my eagerness and wait for more reviews to come in before taking the leap?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm pretty sure I ordered direct from EVGA for my 1080ti as I got a PSU with it. Overclockers for the 1080. But tbh unless there is a massive difference in price I almost exclusively use Amazon these days as the returns policy is so good.

EVGA got stung a little bit on their first generation of Pascal cards. This had the effect of making them paranoid and slapping about a bazillion sensors on the newer boards. Personally I like sensors :pac:

Yea. The FTW3 is plastered in them. :D

Advertisement