Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Who said he had sectarian views?

I said he was winding the sectarian chants up that night. Turning to the crowd and urging them to keep it up.

It's history now ...that night. I doubt we here are going to rewrite it.

More nonsense. This whole urban myth revolves around one hand gesture BB made to the fans behind him. A little raised hand gesture encouraging even more noise. I have seen endless players and managers do it. The NI players do it very often, i think because of that special connection between them which few teams reach. Its a call for 'help us, we need a lift'. I was behinb BB and Nothing sectarian was being sung at the time. Just amazing how that encouragement from Billy has been misconstrued, but sf etc are masters at that

GSTQ is the anthem the English use why would you use it for a combined UI team?
    I'd imagine the decision was made because it was deemed a stupid choice.

Francie, why are you harping on at this. I have told you several times that I do not want either anthem played because neither anthem represents all the players. Its that simple! and i am not expecting to to agree but simply respect my position

• Registered Users Posts: 68,860 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    More nonsense. This whole urban myth revolves around one hand gesture BB made to the fans behind him. A little raised hand gesture encouraging even more noise. I have seen endless players and managers do it. The NI players do it very often, i think because of that special connection between them which few teams reach. Its a call for 'help us, we need a lift'. I was behinb BB and Nothing sectarian was being sung at the time. Just amazing how that encouragement from Billy has been misconstrued, but sf etc are masters at that

Billy was at it, during the match and before it. He stoked up the atmosphere with as many 'war' metaphors' he could. Remember the 'Republic mercenaries' comment?
    His reputation has suffered because of that night and I don't think a Unionist who advocates for the rights of 'kids, to engage in provocation and bigotry' is going to rehabilitate him and his team tbh.

Billy was at it, during the match and before it. He stoked up the atmosphere with as many 'war' metaphors' he could. Remember the 'Republic mercenaries' comment?
    His reputation has suffered because of that night and I don't think a Unionist who advocates for the rights of 'kids, to engage in provocation and bigotry' is going to rehabilitate him and his team tbh.

Sad Francie that you can only see the 'bad' in others. Its a pitty , you can take a horse to water etc etc

Francie, why are you harping on at this. I have told you several times that I do not want either anthem played because neither anthem represents all the players. Its that simple! and i am not expecting to to agree but simply respect my position

The anthem represents Ireland downcow, as the Scotland or Welsh one represents those countries. GSTQ is the English anthem. Ireland's call is a concession to a province without an anthem.

• Advertisement

Sad Francie that you can only see the 'bad' in others. Its a pitty , you can take a horse to water etc etc

It's no big deal downcow, it is you who are trying to rewrite the millions of words about that night.

Remember, the people of the south previously went wild with support for your team when they qualified.
    That night of infamy spoiled all that. That water is well under the bridge now.

The anthem represents Ireland downcow, as the Scotland or Welsh one represents those countries. GSTQ is the English anthem. Ireland's call is a concession to a province without an anthem.

Sadly Francie you refuse to accept the reality. In international law NI is distinct from ROI. Many sporting organisations allow the two countries to play together as one unit - quite a concession, can you imagine if Portugal and Spain told FIFA we ant to play as one unit.

So the reality in every world other than Francie's is that the SS is not the Anthem of NI.
    But sure you just continue to live in Francie's world

It's no big deal downcow, it is you who are trying to rewrite the millions of words about that night.

Remember, the people of the south previously went wild with support for your team when they qualified.

Well Francie, to continue my honesty, I will certainly not go wild for your team if they qualify for something lol or for that matter any rival team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

The anthem represents Ireland downcow.

The soldiers song does not represent everyone in Ireland. It gives comfort to Republicans though. Even though there will not be a United Ireland in our lifetime, I think the soldiers song should be changed to something more inclusive.

Sadly Francie you refuse to accept the reality. In international law NI is distinct from ROI. Many sporting organisations allow the two countries to play together as one unit - quite a concession, can you imagine if Portugal and Spain told FIFA we ant to play as one unit.

So the reality in every world other than Francie's is that the SS is not the Anthem of NI.
    But sure you just continue to live in Francie's world

No downcow, what I am seeing here is yet another example of a Unionist who would rather burn the house down than accept a compromise...Ireland's Call - which anthemises 'the four proud provinces of Ireland'.

Again, NI does not have an anthem of it's own. Why that is, is for another thread.

• Advertisement

Well Francie, to continue my honesty, I will certainly not go wild for your team if they qualify for something lol or for that matter any rival team

But the reality was, the south celebrated with you when you qualified for Spain. It was the antics of Bingham and his squad and your supporters that ruined that. Nothing else.

You always have to be the 'victim' though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was in Mosney in 82, and NI were cheered on enthusiastically by every viewer in the TV room when the games were on. Religion and politics didn't come into it at all.

I have always cheered on both soccer teams, every athlete, team no matter what side of the border they come from. To me, they are all Irish.

As for comparing the 2 separate entities of Ireland in sports to Spain and Portugal, sorry but it doesn't compare. At all.

But the reality was, the south celebrated with you when you qualified for Spain. It was the antics of Bingham and his squad and your supporters that ruined that. Nothing else.

I completely understand. Its a bit like the stuff around poaching that has ruined possibility of an harmonious relationship between the two associations - not to mention the recent rebel song singing by your great chief when he thought no one was recording.

I am very opposed to the two teams ever considering uniting so its all music to my ears

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Lol-this makes a change,you're normally putting us all straight on how bad the England football team is and how bad the fans are-usual francie anti British clap-trap ...

I completely understand. Its a bit like the stuff around poaching that has ruined possibility of an harmonious relationship between the two associations - not to mention the recent rebel song singing by your great chief when he thought no one was recording.

I am very opposed to the two teams ever considering uniting so its all music to my ears

....and deflect with a bit of Never Never Never thrown in. It is never far away from your rhetoric downcow is it?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was in Mosney in 82, and NI were cheered on enthusiastically by every viewer in the TV room when the games were on. Religion and politics didn't come into it at all.

I have always cheered on both soccer teams, every athlete, team no matter what side of the border they come from. To me, they are all Irish.

As for comparing the 2 separate entities of Ireland in sports to Spain and Portugal, sorry but it doesn't compare. At all.

I get that NIMan and I know lots of unionists who support the ROI when they get to major tournaments and i'm fine with that. For me it would be like expecting an everton fan to support Liverpool in the UEFA cup - some may do it but its not for me.
    And don't imply the religion card. I support the NI players equally whether they are catholic or play for celtic etc - doesnt have any bearing whatsoever.

As for sports wher NI doesnt have its own team eg olympics, I support all the players whether they are from croydon, glasgo, swansea or belfast. they are all my country men/women in that situation. And I strongly affirm you doing likewise if you are nationalist with regard to whether they are from Cork or Belfast

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Lol-this makes a change,you're normally putting us all straight on how bad the England football team is and how bad the fans are-usual francie anti British clap-trap ...

I have theories on how a certain belligerent set have attached themselves to English football Rob. I debate those like others debate theirs. Have you a problem with that?
    The English, contrary to what some of them believe, is not Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

You don't want the British anthem at soccer games but you think it is sectarian not to have it at rugby games?

The British anthem is neither yours nor ours downcow, it is the UK's or Britain's and neither the NI soccer team nor the Irish Rugby team represent the UK, they have their own national teams.
    Another debunking of the notion that NI is a 'country'.

Francie you are twisting again.
    I want neither SS or GSTQ at rugby games. I think you know that by my approach to NI games

It's called Amhrán na bhFiann not "SS" you maggot

Again with your ****e like the Marton McGuinness carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Don’t forget the greatest night in Northern Ireland football in 82 had Northern Ireland in green white and orange on the score board

https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/sport-3073883a

I get that NIMan and I know lots of unionists who support the ROI when they get to major tournaments and i'm fine with that. For me it would be like expecting an everton fan to support Liverpool in the UEFA cup - some may do it but its not for me.
    And don't imply the religion card. I support the NI players equally whether they are catholic or play for celtic etc - doesnt have any bearing whatsoever.

As for sports wher NI doesnt have its own team eg olympics, I support all the players whether they are from croydon, glasgo, swansea or belfast. they are all my country men/women in that situation. And I strongly affirm you doing likewise if you are nationalist with regard to whether they are from Cork or Belfast

NI doesn't have it's own rugby team, do you support the Irish rugby team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

More urban myth. What do you believe about the location of the stadium??

The Village area to the north, was traditionally a unioinist area but for decades now it has been an eclectic mix of students of all denominations, ethnic minorities and yes still significant num,bers of unionists. To the front (east) (and main entry point) is the Lisburn Road - we are always reminded by nationalist politicians when flags go up, that this is a mixed but predominantly nationalist area. To the south is commercial mixed area with no housing. To the west and the other main entrance, is the Boucher Road 100% commercial area and no housing until just 500m where you enter republican West Belfast with the famous Rock Bar only 1km from Windsor.

The irony is that both Casement Park (gaa) and Kingspan (ulster rugby) are both situated in the heart of, and surrounded by single identity partisan residential populations, Windsor Park is in a very mixed and commercial area. But the amazing spin makes people in the South think the opposite.

It a bit like the claim that Windsor Park is named after royalty, which is also urban myth

Care to comment munsterlegend

I was referring to it being on in Belfast. It’s amazing how selective your hearing is when it came to greysteel chants and some nerve to lecture us on our non divisive anthem given your team still flies the sectarian flag.

The FAI had a duty to protect its players and supporters and were fully entitled to have requested it to be moved. Given the antics in the stadium that request was fully justified. Thankfully no one got seriously hurt mostly sure to republican fans not going. Anyway the north have zero chance of qualifying for a World Cup so the sooner they link up with us the sooner they might have a chance again. All Ireland league discussions are a positive move in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Don’t forget the greatest night in Northern Ireland football in 82 had Northern Ireland in green white and orange on the score board

The only reason anyone would thank that is because it will annoy Downcow which is pretty sad. ..

The only reason anyone would thank that is because it will annoy Downcow which is pretty sad. ..

Says the guy harping on the periphery, trying to annoy.

It is just more evidence, if evidence is needed, that outside of the 'bubble' we are all seen as Irish first, mixed identities second.

gwalk wrote: »

I always understood ss was a translation of the Irish name. Is it?
    My dad who was from roi and could sing it in Irish always called it the soldiers song. So apologies if that’s not correct. I am open to hearing what was so offensive about ss for you to feel the need to call me a maggot ?

The only reason anyone would thank that is because it will annoy Downcow which is pretty sad..

She's not going to sleep with you Rob, you can lay off the white knight act

Didn’t know that lol

I always understood ss was a translation of the Irish name. Is it?
    My dad who was from roi and could sing it in Irish always called it the soldiers song. So apologies if that’s not correct. I am open to hearing what was so offensive about ss for you to feel the need to call me a maggot ?

You're manipulating the name to suit your agenda against the irish language

Wise up

NI doesn't have it's own rugby team, do you support the Irish rugby team?

Complex question. It would be easier for me to duck it but that’s not my style.
    I have lots of middle class grammar school rugby playing friends who support them. Indeed many are orangemen etc. They seem to be able to detach the trappings from the guys on the pitch and clearly the reason is that their Ulster hero’s are playing.
    I put games on tv torn. Often genuinely wanting to support Rory and his team mates but by the time I have seen Rory etc endure two renditions of the ss I am turned off and ambivalent to who wins.
    Call me what you like but we are all a product of our experience and a very nasty history.
    If the anthem was dropped that would be transformational for me and I would forgive the hierarchy for all the broken promises about games alternatively north and south etc.
    I guess that is why I am so passionate about getting our own house in order by dropping gstq from ni matches.
    I am also not a huge rugby fan so maybe I don’t get the nuinces

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Complex question. It would be easier for me to duck it but that’s not my style.
    I have lots of middle class grammar school rugby playing friends who support them. Indeed many are orangemen etc. They seem to be able to detach the trappings from the guys on the pitch and clearly the reason is that their Ulster hero’s are playing.
    I put games on tv torn. Often genuinely wanting to support Rory and his team mates but by the time I have seen Rory etc endure two renditions of the ss I am turned off and ambivalent to who wins.
    Call me what you like but we are all a product of our experience and a very nasty history.
    If the anthem was dropped that would be transformational for me and I would forgive the hierarchy for all the broken promises about games alternatively north and south etc.
    I guess that is why I am so passionate about getting our own house in order by dropping gstq from ni matches.
    I am also not a huge rugby fan so maybe I don’t get the nuinces

Dublin is the national stadium and rugby needs the money to keep afloat. That arrangement was made in the amateur days.

• Advertisement

You're manipulating the name to suit your agenda against the irish language

Wise up

I have no idea what you mean. I told you it was an Irish speaker, my dad, that called it the soldiers song.
    It was also his party piece even in his 90s to baffle all his friends with the odd rendition lol

Advertisement