Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

downcow wrote: »
    The minority community left.

The ones associated with, or who made a living from, the occupation forces left. The ones that stayed prospered relatively.

gwalk wrote: »
    What hope does the future hold when such hatred and bigotry is bred into them by the 12th, an the "Culture"

Balkanization of the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Was on a train from Cullybackey to Belfast yesterday evening,

large group of teenagers who got on at Ballymena probably off to some event or something, few alcopops between them but sure weren't we all young once

All fine and well (apart from one of them knocking an older woman's glasses off her head, although she was quick enough to put him in his place, maith an cailìn) until they start shouting and singing their anti catholic songs and sectarian bile, got the full kill all taigs, we hate Catholics etc.

What hope does the future hold when such hatred and bigotry is bred into them by the 12th, an the "Culture"

It’s not culture though. It’s ignorance and hatred. Can you imagine anyone in the south who even cares what religion you are now? Unfortunately what passes as culture in the unionist community needs to be eradicated. It has no place in a modern society and just breeds hatred. Of course the dup love it as they thrive on such hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

large group of teenagers who got on at Ballymena probably off to some event or something, few alcopops between them but sure weren't we all young once

All fine and well (apart from one of them knocking an older woman's glasses off her head, although she was quick enough to put him in his place, maith an cailìn) until they start shouting and singing their anti catholic songs and sectarian bile, got the full kill all taigs, we hate Catholics etc.

Its all them'uns fault. Thankfully most people have a little more rounded attitude to the problems

You do have some strange encounters. I have lived in the north all my life and i have never heard things like that sung on public transport by either side in my life. you must be a magnet for it

• Advertisement

Its all them'uns fault. Thankfully most people have a little more rounded attitude to the problems

What you don’t get is that Unionist/ loyalist celebration of the 12th is about supremacy. Those days are long gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The only reason anyone would thank that is because it will annoy Downcow which is pretty sad. ..

Says the guy harping on the periphery, trying to annoy.

It is just more evidence, if evidence is needed, that outside of the 'bubble' we are all seen as Irish first, mixed identities second.
    Everyone's on the periphery compared to you francie...Also,if you did your research instead of waffling you'd know GSTQ is the official national anthem of the whole of the UK.The Scottish and Welsh anthems are unofficial-which means England and NI using it is correct,although NI or England could have their own unofficial ones if desired.

What you don’t get is that Unionist/ loyalist celebration of the 12th is about supremacy. Those days are long gone now.

You can't have it both ways . Either the unionists are supremacists are not

You can't have it both ways . Either the unionists are supremacists are not

You can think and act like you are but the reality is far different. The culture breeds thoughts of supremacy which of course leads to such a polarized society.

You can think and act like you are but the reality is far different. The culture breeds thoughts of supremacy which of course leads to such a polarized society.

So unscrambling that riddle, it seems you are saying we are not supremacists?

• Advertisement

So unscrambling that riddle, it seems you are saying we are not supremacists?

Supremacist attitudes but not supremacy institutionally - thus the reason that the DUP are perfectly happy to freeze everything as it is and have the north ruled from London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

You do have some strange encounters. I have lived in the north all my life and i have never heard things like that sung on public transport by either side in my life. you must be a magnet for it

Care to elaborate on these encounters?

Are you honestly telling me you've never heard drunk people make sectarian chants?

Are you an ostrich? Is your head constantly in the sand

Are you honestly telling me you've never heard drunk people make sectarian chants?

You undermine yourself in this post imo.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Calling it 'the SS' is transparent and childish. You're fooling nobody. You're harping on about the need for compromise, yet in this same thread, you've expressed an irrational fear of the Irish language and a refusal to have both languages on signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Because you're oblivious to it. You defended the presence of a serial killer in an orange lodge. There's not much that could shock you.

How?
    You tell of how a group of drunken yobs were out of order on the train with their sectarian chants but then go on to say in your next post that's what drunken yobs do.

Its teenagers Rob they are obviously being tought this hatred and having it bred into them at home or something form their bigot parents

I didnt say that's what drunken people do..., I asked Downcow if she could honestly say that she had never heard drunken sectarian songs?

And as per usual you dive in 2 footed to defend her honour

Pedro K wrote: »
    Calling it 'the SS' is transparent and childish. You're fooling nobody. You're harping on about the need for compromise, yet in this same thread, you've expressed an irrational fear of the Irish language and a refusal to have both languages on signs.
    folks yous need to stop the riddles and get real
    My father who was an irish language speaker (not voluntarily, rather it was beat into him) could sing the anthem in Irish. he always called it the Soldiers song.
    Now several people on here seem upset that i am referring to it as this.
    I have no idea why and i genuinely want to know as I will not use a term that offends if i can understand what it is about.
    I google it and google refers to it as the ss.
    So someone please enlighten me - genuine question

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Because you're oblivious to it. You defended the presence of a serial killer in an orange lodge. There's not much that could shock you.

hahaha eddy i have asked you several times if your think murderers should be banned from all organisations eg GAA and SF and I think it was rob or jan said there was no chance you would answer. but you have the ordasity to come on again about it without answering.

i think guys yous have been caught on!

PS i see in the newspapers today M McG is being named as the key person in the killing of the children on Lord Mountbattens boat - would you throw him out of the GAA and SF if he was still alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

My father who was an irish language speaker (not voluntarily, rather it was beat into him) could sing the anthem in Irish. he always called it the Soldiers song.
    I have no idea why and i genuinely want to know as I will not use a term that offends if i can understand what it is about.
    I often heard it and refer to it as the soldiers song .
    Is that an issue now on boards . What's the last line in English?

cjmc wrote: »
    What's the last line?

Seo libh canaig, amhrán na bhFiann.

i have asked you several times if your think murderers should be banned from all organisations eg GAA and SF

I'll answer. No.

Now if the GAA or SF want to march through a town explicitly supporting a killer who shot three innocent Protestants in a pub there then I'd say that was absolutely disgusting.

Would you agree that would be disgusting?

Sorry I meant in the english version

cjmc wrote: »

Sorry I meant in the english version

Dont know the english version sorry

Everyone I know refers to it as Amhràn na bhFiann

Oh grand and believe me I'm not for one second spouting an orange position but I thought a soldiers song was the english translation of amhran na fiann. It's just that downcow seems to think that using that term belittles our anthem when I wouldn't have thought that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Except you haven't been calling it the Soldiers Song generally, have you? You've been calling it 'the SS.'

Transparent and childish. Don't pretend like you don't know well what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,854 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think the consensus here anyhow downcow is that you aren't kidding anyone.

Somebody who defends the right of (and who would happily teach his children) somebody to engage in provocation and bigoted taunting is not somebody to be believed when he wants to come across as a reformer of the bigotry within NI soccer elements.

I'll answer. No.

Now if the GAA or SF want to march through a town explicitly supporting a killer who shot three innocent Protestants in a pub there then I'd say that was absolutely disgusting.

Would you agree that would be disgusting?

Yeah I thought it wasn’t pretty bad last week to eulogise the ira on the spot they murdered a baby. But I wouldn’t ban them from it

• Advertisement

Your telling me you can’t translate it. Come on. This getting rediculous. I’ll try to see if google can translate it.

Advertisement