Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

gwalk wrote: »
    Seo libh canaig, amhrán na bhFiann.

Nothing about soldiers in that according to google

This is a song, a song of the Fianna

Pedro K wrote: »
    Except you haven't been calling it the Soldiers Song generally, have you? You've been calling it 'the SS.'

Transparent and childish. Don't pretend like you don't know well what you're doing.

I find this a wee bit unbelievable. I really am pinching me self.
    I use abbreviations of the two anthems in the same sentence gstq and ss and it seems it is offensive to shorten the soldiers song to abbreviations (I think - still not completely sure if that is the issue mind you seem to have confused some southerners to)
    Just be clear with me. Is this the issue? Is this a bit like Americans find it offensive if their flag touches the ground yet you can use my flag as a beach towel and it’s no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

downcow wrote: »

Google says Fianna is a band of warriors and the definition of warrior is a soldier or fighter..

So I’ve checked and apparently Amhràn na bhFiann translates as the soldiers song. So I now have no idea what the issue is and no one will enlighten my except in riddles.
    If the problem is that I am referring to the English version, I apologise and will use the abbreviations anb from now on. Although I must point out that it was composed in English and then translated (I think by the shinners) into Irish.

So I’ve checked and apparently Amhràn na bhFiann translates as the soldiers song. So I now have no idea what the issue is and no one will enlighten my except in riddles.
    If the problem is that I am referring to the English version, I apologise and will use the abbreviations anb from now on. Although I must point out that it was composed in English and then translated (I think by the shinners) into Irish.

I have to say I do find it remarkable that not only are people defending the playing of anb at all island sports but it seems they want us northerners to sing it in a language that we can’t even speak. You couldn’t make it up.

• Advertisement

My Irish before tonight was limited to:
    Pogue ma hole
    Borde na mona
    Ogla na hern
    Fianna fail
    Tfalendh(chuckie) ar la
    Borde failte
    Fleadh
    Feile
    And some names like siobhan

Now I can add Amhràn na bhFiann

Oh yes. And (I don’t know how to spell this) if someone says gea ditch to me I hope I am correct when I try to be polite by saying gea Mara ditch

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Google says Fianna is a band of warriors and the definition of warrior is a soldier or fighter..

Ok that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 68,854 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Pogue ma hole
    Borde na mona
    Ogla na hern
    Fianna fail
    Tfalendh(chuckie) ar la
    Borde failte
    Fleadh
    Feile

Oh yes. And (I don’t know how to spell this) if someone says gea ditch to me I hope I am correct when I try to be polite by saying gea Mara ditch

Imagine there are Unionists afraid of seeing words like those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

A wild white knight appears...shock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Pogue ma hole
    Borde na mona
    Ogla na hern
    Fianna fail
    Tfalendh(chuckie) ar la
    Borde failte
    Fleadh
    Feile

I was surprised when listening to Ronnie Drew narrating Irish myths and legends that Setanta was a name for Cu Chulainn-I`d heard it previously used as an Irish sports channel name!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Ok that makes sense

Now can you go back and elaborate on my supposed encounters you were speculating about before Sir Robert of Liverpool arrived to your defence

I was surprised when listening to Ronnie Drew narrating Irish myths and legends that Setanta was a name for Cu Chulainn-I`d heard it previously used as an Irish sports channel name!

Interesting. Never new that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Pogue ma hole
    Borde na mona
    Ogla na hern
    Fianna fail
    Tfalendh(chuckie) ar la
    Borde failte
    Fleadh
    Feile

"Tiocfaidh ar la"

His uncle was Conchobar MacNessa, the King Of Ulster...all of Ulster, not a bit of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Yeah I thought it wasn’t pretty bad last week to eulogise the ira on the spot they murdered a baby. But I wouldn’t ban them from it

They are more interested in myths and legends and re-writing history than in anything else.

You'd almost think downcow, jan and Rob set that weak punchline ^^ up among themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I have to say I do find it remarkable that not only are people defending the playing of anb at all island sports but it seems they want us northerners to sing it in a language that we can’t even speak. You couldn’t make it up.

You speak on behalf of all northerners?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Never heard it called anything but SS and that includes by Tyrone gaa straw hat wearing deliverance types. And there are plenty of those I can tell you. Great banjo players though..

timthumbni wrote: »
    Never heard it called anything but SS and that includes by Tyrone gaa straw hat wearing deliverance types. And there are plenty of those I can tell you. Great banjo players though..

Nice anecdote! I was more querying the terminology used though. "Northerners" in this context, as opposed to say....unionists?

I see After the few nights of petrol bombing in Londonderry during the week that included the gem of the cops saying very young teenagers were involved and asked anyone of influence to call a halt to their scummery.

Hhmmmm. Young teenagers perhaps 14 upwards. I wonder who could be responsible for them.???

Perhaps their parents possibly?

Stroke city is turning into a mini west Belfast. And unless you are into mass joyriding/anti social behaviour then that possibly isn’t positive.

But at least your Mep can do the drunk uncle dance...

• Advertisement

I see After the few nights of petrol bombing in Londonderry during the week that included the gem of the cops saying very young teenagers were involved and asked anyone of influence to call a halt to their scummery.

Hhmmmm. Young teenagers perhaps 14 upwards. I wonder who could be responsible for them.???

Stroke city is turning into a mini west Belfast. And unless you are into mass joyriding/anti social behaviour then that possibly isn’t positive..

You seem really concerned!

Stroke city is turning into a mini west Belfast. And unless you are into mass joyriding/anti social behaviour then that possibly isn’t positive.

But at least your Mep can do the drunk uncle dance...

downcow says, 'Leave them kids alone'.

You seem really concerned!

I can see Londonderry turning into a mini west Belfast. In fact it already is. You reap what you sow I suppose. Anti social heaven. But I’m sure their community will keep blaming the brits etc.

50 years ago from 1969 and violent Irish republicans are still rioting and shooting wee girls for no particular reason.

Take responsibility for your own actions ffs.

Read it again

“I have to say I do find it remarkable that not only are people defending the playing of anb at all island sports but it seems they want us northerners to sing it in a language that we can’t even speak. You couldn’t make it up.”

I wasn’t speaking for any northerners at all. My comment was about those who think all northerners should sing anb and in Irish

His uncle was Conchobar MacNessa, the King Of Ulster...all of Ulster, not a bit of it.

I thought you wanted to ‘reunite’ Ireland Now you are telling us about the King of Ulster Maybe we could reunite Ulster and bring the 3 counties that left back into the fold.

Would that be ok or are you determined to unify and island that has only ever been unified under British force? It’s ironic that you are going to copy what the brits done lol
    In your scenario the NE of the island would have new unwanted occupying forces. Surely you couldn’t countenance. Force them to learn Irish, wave a flag that never had anything to do with them and sing anb

I say get the bridge built and get us reunited with our kith and kin Dalriada lol

I thought you wanted to ‘reunite’ Ireland Now you are telling us about the King of Ulster Maybe we could reunite Ulster and bring the 3 counties that left back into the fold.

Would that be ok or are you determined to unify and island that has only ever been unified under British force? It’s ironic that you are going to copy what the brits done lol
    In your scenario the NE of the island would have new unwanted occupying forces. Surely you couldn’t countenance. Force them to learn Irish, wave a flag that never had anything to do with them and sing anb

I say get the bridge built and get us reunited with our kith and kin Dalriada lol

I made the concept simple for the willful outsiders. I want to 'unite' the island.

Why complicate it with notions the willful outsider will never understand because he/she doesn't want to understand? He/she fears most that his/her tribe will understand.

I made the concept simple for the willful outsiders. I want to 'unite' the island.

You condoned shooting and bombing the wilful outsiders here (as you call them), even though most have been here longer than white man has been in America, Australia or New Zealand.

How are your plans for resettlement of the outsiders , in the event of a "United Ireland', coming along Francie? You sure the money raised by confiscating the stolen lands will cover the relocation costs of those nasty imperialists and the indoctrination costs of those "partionists" (as you call them) left behind?
    Any costings yet on how much it will cost to translate everything in to the first national language, rename roads and train stations in N Ireland etc after our patriots like Bobby Sands etc?

When tribes don't assimilate, they continue to be outsiders.

downcow tells us he hasn't even bothered to learn about the environment he is living in, in fact he is PROUD of that fact. He is proud of the fact he knows nothing of the native customs and language.

That is being a 'willful outsider'.
    Partitionists of course, aid and abet that, because they either benefit from the outsider being here or have such a low self esteem that they mimic the outsider.

I thought the GFA was about parity of esteem, not condemnation of one side, and those who understand them by claiming they have low self esteem.

At least your true colours are coming out now Francie. Still not willing to admit you are a shinnbot, even though you never voted and do not vote for them?

Thankfully most Irish people are not like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

janfebmar wrote: »
    I thought the GFA was about parity of esteem, not condemnation of one side, and those who understand them by claiming they have low self esteem.

At least your true colours are coming out now Francie. Still not willing to admit you are a shinnbot, even though you never voted and do not vote for them?

Leaders of Unionism and parity of esteem? You must be having a laugh. Irish language rights gay rights women’s rights all available throughout the Uk except the north. Unionist policies are all about subjugating anything with a tinge if green. Even the denigration here by Unionist posters of the Irish language indicates a sick mindset.

Advertisement