Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I find this really weird. If the Brits [British state] had so many Provos on their payroll as well as high level SF people then why did they allow them to continue shooting RUC/UDR/BA and bowing up towns and cities in the north and Britain?

I don't think you realise the appalling vista this opens up for Unionism - you're snickering at your own people being used as pawns in the Brits' attempts to defeat the PIRA and then its former commander ends up as Deputy First Minster of NI.

Let that sink in.
    It's no IF

Oh I completely understand that it was a very dirty war and colluding, agents, double agents abounded. Its you that seems shocked by this

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

downcow wrote: »
    It's no IF

Oh I completely understand that it was a very dirty war and colluding, agents, double agents abounded. Its you that seems shocked by this

So you're happy that the British paid the IRA a wage for killing unionists? Do you mind me asking why?

blanch has sunk to white knighting for the Gregory Campbell's of this world. :)

Yep it's just defending bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

steddyeddy wrote: »
    So you're happy that the British paid the IRA a wage for killing unionists? Do you mind me asking why?

Hold on till I get the popcorn.

There'll be some bowing and scrapping done here I'll bet.

Hold on till I get the popcorn.

There'll be some bowing and scrapping down here I'll bet.

I'm genuinely curious. It's not like the IRA surrendered or anything so it's not a victory. The GFA was considered a capitulation to the IRA by some of the more lunatic unionist community members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I don'y recall saying I was happy. I am a realist.

I just find it interesting and wonder does the ordinary nationalist not know who agent J118 was and what he was up to. Why were they so upset with Stakeknife etc but no issue with the Fisherman - Or is it just to difficult to comprehend.

Any republican on here like to tell us that J118 was not our friend who arranged for Patsy .. to be turned into a human bomb and then said he deserved to die, and the friend that organised the blowing up of Lord mountbattens boat knowing kids would die.

You see most unionists have never elected such people. so if BA were running UVF men who were double crossing their comrades, its not the same issue for us.

I'm genuinely curious. It's not like the IRA surrendered or anything so it's not a victory. The GFA was considered a capitulation to the IRA by some of the more lunatic unionist community members.

The import of what he is saying is quite incredible really.

How would you look a Unionist victim in the face if you could stand over 'your' government being involved in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yep it's just defending bigotry.

Showed his true colours there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I see violent Irish republicans trying to bomb their way into a UI again in the news. What is wrong with these idiots.

I thought by another poster all these people were into education and travelling. Lol. He forgot to mention bomb making 101.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Tiocfaidh Ar Lar?

Post of the day, Matt.

Correcting phonetically spelled slang with incorrectly spelled Irish. You couldn't make it up.

Blanch my old pal, great input as usual. Supporting an intentional disrespect of Irish culture and you claim to be about respecting heritage?
    My comment stands but you may drool at the win, you got a point off me there good boy *pats head*

• Advertisement

I just find it interesting and wonder does the ordinary nationalist not know who agent J118 was and what he was up to. Why were they so upset with Stakeknife etc but no issue with the Fisherman - Or is it just to difficult to comprehend.

Any republican on here like to tell us that J118 was not our friend who arranged for Patsy .. to be turned into a human bomb and then said he deserved to die, and the friend that organised the blowing up of Lord mountbattens boat knowing kids would die.

You see most unionists have never elected such people. so if BA were running UVF men who were double crossing their comrades, its not the same issue for us.

The ordinary nationalist wants a United Ireland and is not necessarily a SF supporter. Just an FYI like.

timthumbni wrote: »
    I see violent Irish republicans trying to bomb their way into a UI again in the news.

Make up your minds. A minute ago it was the British pulling the strings and sanctioning the violence.

And you talk about francieland!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The poster in question was deliberately being derogatory to the native language and another poster misspelled it. Yet you single out the poster that made a mistake.
    blanch has sunk to white knighting for the Gregory Campbell's of this world. :)

I found the exchange very amusing.

One poster getting indignant about another phonetically spelling an Irish phrase and then mispelling it himself. It was both ironic and funny.

On the phonetic spelling of Irish (or other languages) there is a time when it is genuine inability to understand, a time when it is a funny joke, but also a time when it is sectarian or racist. It is wrong to deliberately be derogatory to any language or dialect, and there are many on both sides of the debate on here who have been derogatory in that regard.

Finally, calling Irish the native language is deliberately provocative as it is not native in the North where native speakers of Irish died out in the 1970s before it was artificially revived. In fact, I am not aware of anyone who can speak Ogham so there really aren't any native speakers at all left. All who came since are invaders of one kind or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

If it's true then why didn't 'the Brits' stop him? Are you saying 'the Brits' allowed him to direct the killing of their own British soldiers?

It is wrong to deliberately be derogatory to any language or dialect, and there are many on both sides of the debate on here who have been derogatory in that regard.

So you white knighted for the 'deliberately derogatory' - good that you are aware of what you did anyhow.

I found the exchange very amusing.

One poster getting indignant about another phonetically spelling an Irish phrase and then mispelling it himself. It was both ironic and funny.

On the phonetic spelling of Irish (or other languages) there is a time when it is genuine inability to understand, a time when it is a funny joke, but also a time when it is sectarian or racist. It is wrong to deliberately be derogatory to any language or dialect, and there are many on both sides of the debate on here who have been derogatory in that regard.

Finally, calling Irish the native language is deliberately provocative as it is not native in the North where native speakers of Irish died out in the 1970s before it was artificially revived. In fact, I am not aware of anyone who can speak Ogham so there really aren't any native speakers at all left. All who came since are invaders of one kind or another.

You took a shot, fair enough, (chuffed I spelled 'Tiocfaidh' right to be honest) but in doing so supported an ignorant disrespect of your native language. You are Irish right? Don't want to be calling you a Unionist though because you jump in to support Unionism and the the British claim constantly. Even so you've been on here numerous times about respecting British culture you're obviously just playing for one side. So much for moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You took a shot, fair enough, but in doing so supported an ignorant disrespect of your native language. You are Irish right? Don't want to be calling you a Unionist because you jump in to support Unionism and the the British claim constantly. Even so you've been on here numerous times about respecting British culture you're obviously just playing for one side. So much for moving on.

I didn't support an ignorant disrespect of any native language.

As is usual on these threads one side (in this particular case, yours) took immediate offence at something someone else said and got on a high horse. It is very difficult to take that behaviour seriously. It is even more difficult to take it seriously when the offended then go on and mispell the Irish phrase themselves.

Many of the posters seem more interested in scoring points and securing "wins" on these threads. Not interested in that myself, but I do find some responses amusing, and I won't apologise for that.

My view of the Irish language debate in the North is quite simple. It is being used as a political tool in the North by Sinn Fein, not for its own sake, but to score political points against the Unionists. That is as much offensive to the language as "chucky", in fact it is more offensive, as it is hypocritical as well.

If you want to respect other cultures, I assume you won't be making any derogatory remarks towards Ulster Scots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Listen up pal. Judging by your posting history you would be the last person I would want on my bridge anyway, so everyone’s a winner.

We aren't 'pals'. Just fyi.

Odhinn wrote: »

Sad face....

• Advertisement

Of course you didn't. But you didn't criticise it like you are criticising now, trying desperately to appear like the sage nonpartisan voice of reason.

Did somebody mention finding stuff amusing or hypocritical?

As is usual on these threads one side (in this particular case, yours) took immediate offence at something someone else said and got on a high horse. It is very difficult to take that behaviour seriously. It is even more difficult to take it seriously when the offended then go on and mispell the Irish phrase themselves.

Many of the posters seem more interested in scoring points and securing "wins" on these threads. Not interested in that myself, but I do find some responses amusing, and I won't apologise for that.

My view of the Irish language debate in the North is quite simple. It is being used as a political tool in the North by Sinn Fein, not for its own sake, but to score political points against the Unionists. That is as much offensive to the language as "chucky", in fact it is more offensive, as it is hypocritical as well.

If you want to respect other cultures, I assume you won't be making any derogatory remarks towards Ulster Scots.

What time limit would you give for an offense to make itself known to you? Would you go off and have a think about it and then after a time decide you're offended?
    Hey, Blanch, the person was taking the piss out of the Irish language. I called the person on it. You are quick to promote a respect for British/Unionist heritage, just expecting the same for all sides equally.

You use the Irish language as a tool. The DUP use the language as a tool. The language has been around a long time, it doesn't need spin. Irish people want their Irish language to be recognised and respected, the blagards..

Look I respect anyone's wish to use/celebrate their culture. Ulster Scots can replace English if they like, but it should have no bearing on the native Irish language on the Island of Ireland. Unionist culture or not.

Imagine thanking that post btw . There is a barrel and then there is scraping the bottom of it. Hilarious indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Imagine thanking that post btw . There is a barrel and then there is scraping the bottom of it. Hilarious indeed.

Imagine using Lyra McKee's death to score points on an internet forum btw . There is a barrel and then there is scraping the bottom of it. Hilarious indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

If it's true then why didn't 'the Brits' stop him? Are you saying 'the Brits' allowed him to direct the killing of their own British soldiers?

They did get him and his comrades to not only stop the killing of protestants and others (like the census worker in Derry), they got them to surrender their semtex and weapons / get them put beyond use.

gwalk wrote: »
    Imagine using Lyra McKee's death to score points on an internet forum btw . There is a barrel and then there is scraping the bottom of it. Hilarious indeed

Derry the nationalist city he detests with a passion. Oh and west Belfast. The bitterness is well engrained.

On the Martin McGuinness being a British agent story...what is it with the British and their acolytes mindset that they have do this 'we are smarter than the average bear' stuff in every conflict/war they have been involved in. It is almost as if they are pushing a notion they are superior to everyone else, it wouldn't be that would it? :):)

How did they manage to lose the Empire one wonders?

janfebmar wrote: »
    They did get him and his comrades to not only stop the killing of protestants and others (like the census worker in Derry), they got them to surrender their semtex and weapons / get them put beyond use.

And after making them surrender, forced them into top political positions and forced them into an agreed peace....sure :)
    Does Prince Charles know MI5 blew up his uncle?

And after making them surrender, forced them into top political positions and forced them into an agreed peace....sure :)

Not to mention not letting senior government ministers in on the secret, like Michael Gove, who spat bitter fire about the GFA 'surrender'.

It all makes sense eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

It was the pIRA, back before they realised they could not win and before the pira got riddled with informers, so much so that members were afraid to go out on " on active servive" before sneaking back behind civilians again.

Advertisement