Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

timthumbni wrote: »
    I see violent Irish republicans trying to bomb their way into a UI again in the news. What is wrong with these idiots.

I thought by another poster all these people were into education and travelling. Lol. He forgot to mention bomb making 101.

The people that planted that device can go and get ****ed as well.

There's absolutely no need for that kind of ****e. It's also the 2nd time in a month that particular road has been closed off because a device has been found on/warned about.

It was also found less than 5 miles away from where a number of people gathered on Saturday night, from all over Ireland, both North and south, and further afield (A biker gathering, the Border Lords. When I heard about the road being closed, I initially thought it was a fatality coming from it.)

It's also the main road between Monaghan and Cavan, where the road crosses the border a number of times. It does, however, show how much disruption a hard border will cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

blanch152 wrote: »
    Finally, calling Irish the native language is deliberately provocative as it is not native in the North where native speakers of Irish died out in the 1970s before it was artificially revived. In fact, I am not aware of anyone who can speak Ogham so there really aren't any native speakers at all left. All who came since are invaders of one kind or another.

You wouldn't be aware of anyone who can speak Ogham. As far as I'm aware, it was a purely written form of primitive Gaeilge, which evolved into modern Gaeilge.

I could be mistaken, but it's how I've always understood Ogham anyway.

It's the equivalent of complaining that the English language is no longer written/spoken in the style of Chaucer, except with the guts of a thousand years more development from primitive to modern Gaeilge.

On the point about calling Irish the native language of the North, native speakers of specific dialects of the language in our part of the world certainly died out (and we know the reason why of course) but that doesn't change it's status as the native language of the place. I'd suggest you look up the difference between a language and a dialect on this point too. It may be useful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    You wouldn't be aware of anyone who can speak Ogham. As far as I'm aware, it was a purely written form of primitive Gaeilge, which evolved into modern Gaeilge.

I could be mistaken, but it's how I've always understood Ogham anyway.

It's the equivalent of complaining that the English language is no longer written/spoken in the style of Chaucer, except with the guts of a thousand years more development from primitive to modern Gaeilge.

On the point about calling Irish the native language of the North, native speakers of specific dialects of the language in our part of the world certainly died out (and we know the reason why of course) but that doesn't change it's status as the native language of the place. I'd suggest you look up the difference between a language and a dialect on this point too. It may be useful

Excellent post. Maith an fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The people that planted that device can go and get ****ed as well.

There's absolutely no need for that kind of ****e. It's also the 2nd time in a month that particular road has been closed off because a device has been found on/warned about.

It was also found less than 5 miles away from where a number of people gathered on Saturday night, from all over Ireland, both North and south, and further afield (A biker gathering, the Border Lords. When I heard about the road being closed, I initially thought it was a fatality coming from it.)

It's also the main road between Monaghan and Cavan, where the road crosses the border a number of times. It does, however, show how much disruption a hard border will cause.

Has anyone claimed these yet?

This is how predicted the peace will break down if there is a return to a hard border and the GFA is ripped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Has anyone claimed these yet.

I’m not a gambling man but I would bet every day on this being from the great and the good Irish republican community. I would be quids in every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

janfebmar wrote: »
    They did get him and his comrades to not only stop the killing of protestants and others (like the census worker in Derry), they got them to surrender their semtex and weapons / get them put beyond use.

J what I don't understand is why you describe the unionist community as continual victims and talk about their plight in such convincing terms yet sometimes display the opposite sentiment.

You attack people for not respecting the unionist community but when described as a unionist you recoil in disgust often claiming offence at the thought.

For instance:
    I never voted for a Unionist party. Now get back to the thread subject.

It was the pIRA, back before they realised they could not win and before the pira got riddled with informers, so much so that members were afraid to go out on " on active servive" before sneaking back behind civilians again.

Again then why not vote unionist and help the community? Why the revulsion at the suggestion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

This is how predicted the peace will break down if there is a return to a hard border and the GFA is ripped up.

No prizes for guessing it is the extremist Republicans, they are yearning for a return to their violence, as happened in the past. Until you and others in the sf movement condemn the pira, the new / real / continuity / whatever IRA will see themselves as the glory boys, seeking your assured approval.

I’m not a gambling man but I would bet every day on this being from the great and the good Irish republican community. I would be quids in every time.

There are two sets of people who want an end to the GFA, the DUP/Loyalists and Dissident republicans.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Again then why not vote unionist and help the community? Why the revulsion at the suggestion?

People who express unionist thoughts in the 26 counties get their windows broken, and worse. Intimidation is rife from Republicans in the 26 counties, hence you do not get many people standing as Unionists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Do you still oppose the GFA yourself? Or have you adopted the same stance as the DUP who now cower behind it as the consequences of a crash-out Brexit appear on the horizon?

People who express unionist thoughts in the 26 counties get their windows broken, and worse.

So let me get this straight, the reason you don't vote unionist and never will is that people will find out you do and break your windows. OK well you might not have realised but you're on an anonymous forum J. No one will find out who you are.

Do you still oppose the GFA yourself? Or have you adopted the same stance as the DUP who now cower behind it as the consequences of a crash-out Brexit appear on the horizon?

They appear to be developing an alarming schizophrenic condition alright. Sammy was on the radio this morning claiming it was pointless trying to secure the border after decades demanding that it be done. :D

So let me get this straight, the reason you don't vote unionist and never will is that people will find out you do and break your windows. OK well you might not have realised but you're on an anonymous forum J. No one will find out who you are.

You obviously live in a different world if you think unionists stand for election in the 26 counties.

You obviously live in a different world if you think unionists stand for election in the 26 counties.

Like your "I never vote unionist posts". You yourself have claimed to be from the north and south multiple different times. Have you moved back to the south?

Like your never vote unionist post you yourself have claimed to be from the north and south multiple different times. Have you moved back to the south?

I have read this post a few times and I’m still none the wiser. Wtf are you trying to say?

I have read this post a few times and I’m still none the wiser.

Edited Tim. It shouldn't be a difficult read for you now.

Like your "I never vote unionist posts". You yourself have claimed to be from the north and south multiple different times. Have you moved back to the south?

I live in the 26 counties and have done so for most of my life. I never said I was from the North.

I live in the 26 counties and have done so for most of my life. I never said I was from the North.

So if you don't mind me saying could we ask for the definitive version because previously you've stated:
    • Disgust at the idea of voting unionist
    • That you're from "the North"
    • That you're from the south/26 counties
    • That you never would vote unionist but would vote nationalist
    • You're not a unionist/would vote unionist

Someone on another forum stated that they're a SF voter posting to make unionists look bad. It all just seems a bit messed up so clarification would be nice.

Are you or are you not a unionist?

People who express unionist thoughts in the 26 counties get their windows broken, and worse. Intimidation is rife from Republicans in the 26 counties, hence you do not get many people standing as Unionists.

You think you would actually get some votes if you did find the ‘courage’ to run? The secrecy of the ballot box and all

• Advertisement

The only people in NI who are trying to murder in the most part nowadays are violent Irish republicans. That is a fact.

And then they will try to blame the brits..

The only people in NI who are trying to murder in the most part nowadays are violent Irish republicans. That is a fact.

That's very true, however, the people doing the most damage to NI are the DUP and those dragging NI out of the single market against the will of the majority.

Loads of prominent people who express pro Unionist 'thoughts' in the south...Conor Cruise, Bruce Arnold, John Bruton, Ruth Edwards, that guy that stood for the Conservative and Unionist party in Cork back in the middle of the conflict/war, all the members of The Reform Group, the Unionist senator who was co nominated by SF etc etc and I never heard of any of them getting their windows broken.

And we have loyalists threatening violence every day if Brexit doesn’t go ahead/ Irish language rights are accepted/ or any backstop solution as well as terrorizing their own communities. They also want to tear up the peace agreement signed.

So if you don't mind me saying could we ask for the definitive version because previously you've stated:
    • Disgust at the idea of voting unionist
    • That you're from "the North"
    • That you never would vote unionist but would vote ...

I never stated the above, get your facts right.

That's very true, however, the people doing the most damage to NI are the DUP and those dragging NI out of the single market against the will of the majority.

Single market? What does that mean exactly.? The square root of f all probably.

I predict that f all will happen when we leave the Eu.

But I don’t want this to turn into a EU thread as life is too short.

Single market? What does that mean exactly.? The square root of f all probably.

I predict that f all will happen when we leave the Eu.

But I don’t want this to turn into a EU thread as life is too short.

You don't know what the single market is but you predict we'll be fine out of it. I haven't got all night to explain this man.

You don't know what the single market it but you predict we'll be fine out of it. I haven't got all night to explain this man.

Who needs facts eh. Lets all follow English nationalists into the economic abyss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Not that I know of yet, PSNI stated that it was a deliberate attempt to kill/injure police, so...

I must ask who my cousins glazier is, what with him getting his windows broken and worse all the time, what with him being a card carrying, sash wearing, banner flying Orangeman right in the middle of Monaghan. Except it hasn't happened. He's thought of as a little odd by some, mostly because he goes in for mad conspiracies online, but in real life, successful business man. His father was the same. My best mates father the same.

The reason most Unionists from the Republic are being quiet is simply because they are dying out.

• Advertisement

And we have loyalists threatening violence every day if Brexit doesn’t go ahead.

Seriously? You are just taking the piss here.

Advertisement