Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Loads of prominent people who express pro Unionist 'thoughts' in the south...Conor Cruise, Bruce Arnold, John Bruton, Ruth Edwards, that guy that stood for the Conservative and Unionist party in Cork back in the middle of the conflict/war, all the members of The Reform Group, the Unionist senator who was co nominated by SF etc etc and I never heard of any of them getting their windows broken.
    And some of the above have had windows broken and do have security. John Bruton, who you mention above, was not even a Unionist anyway, he was leader of Fine Gael, a nationalist party who wanted and want a 32 county Ireland. Does he still have Garda protection?
    Look at the protestant Fine Gael politician murdered by Republicans during the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

janfebmar wrote: »
    I never stated the above, get your facts right.

You still can't bring yourself to pretend to be a unionist? You can't hate them that much?
    Are you or are you not a unionist?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

timthumbni wrote: »
    Seriously? You are just taking the piss here.

They are talking civil unrest which only means one thing and it isn’t dialogue. Now without the British state to help them out they probably won’t get too far but can’t take any chances.

And some of the above have had windows broken and do have security. John Bruton, who you mention above, was not even a Unionist anyway, he was leader of Fine Gael, a nationalist party who wanted and want a 32 county Ireland. Does he still have Garda protection?
    Look at the protestant Fine Gael politician murdered by Republicans during the troubles.

J man I feel for you. You sound conflicted. You would vote unionist if there was some but can't bring yourself to refer to yourself as one. Here's a great article about the Orange Order in Donegal. It actually seems like a nice day out. Have you ever been?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/thousands-descend-on-donegal-for-rossnowlagh-orange-order-parade-38288514.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not that I know of yet, PSNI stated that it was a deliberate attempt to kill/injure police, so...

I'd keep the jury out on who is behind them. I heard it go off it was that close to me.
    Closing the road with a device on the day of the Ulster Final and the day of the year for many Gaels struck me as a strange thing to do.

I must ask who my cousins glazier is, what with him getting his windows broken and worse all the time, what with him being a card carrying, sash wearing, banner flying Orangeman right in the middle of Monaghan. Except it hasn't happened. He's thought of as a little odd by some, mostly because he goes in for mad conspiracies online, but in real life, successful business man. His father was the same. My best mates father the same.

The reason most Unionists from the Republic are being quiet is simply because they are dying out.

As a fellow Monaghan man, I agree, except in the 'quiet' comment. Unionists on the southern side of the border are well able to speak up for themselves and do not hide. I deal with them all the time in business and in various groups.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    J man I feel for you. You sound conflicted. You would vote unionist if there was some but can't bring yourself to refer to yourself as one. Here's a great article about the Orange Order in Donegal. It actually seems like a nice day out. Have you ever been?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/thousands-descend-on-donegal-for-rossnowlagh-orange-order-parade-38288514.html

Glaziers cleaning up in Donegal too?

Never been, and have no interest in marching old chum, it does not matter if it was an orange order parade in Donegal as you show above or the Sinn Fein parade in Strabane where your one the MEP danced on the spot the poor protestant child was murdered and screamed three times chuckie ar la. And no, I can not be bothered spelling it properly.

Never been, and have no interest in marching old chum, it does not matter if it was an orange order parade in Donegal as you show above or the sinn vein parade in Strabane where your one the mep danced on the spot the poor protestant child was murdered and screamed three times chuckie ar la. And no, I can not be bothered spelling it properly.

Well dude I think it's the height of disrespect towards the unionist community to continually pretend you care about them while simultaneously expressing disgust about them. Surely the poor Protestant child deserves better than someone trying to pretend/deny he's from their community?

Never been, and have no interest in marching old chum, it does not matter if it was an orange order parade in Donegal as you show above or the Sinn Fein parade in Strabane where your one the MEP danced on the spot the poor protestant child was murdered and screamed three times chuckie ar la. And no, I can not be bothered spelling it properly.

So what you spouted was actually fiction when presented with facts. Then try and deflect by going onto SF and a petty Irish language insult. Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

That woman is an embarrassment to all ireland, forgetting about politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well wallow in your bias just don't bore us with any faux outrage if you view others who are as one sided as yourself Jan.

So what you spouted was actually fiction when presented with facts. Then try and deflect by going onto SF and a petty Irish language insult. Grow up.

All the while pretending to care about a poor Protestant boy. A previous incarnation of the chap/lad in question nearly took the head of me when I asked if they were a Protestant.

Well Tim thank god you forgot about politics that has been a confusing issue for J on this thread.

Well dude I think it's the height of disrespect towards the unionist community to continually pretend you care about them while simultaneously expressing disgust about them.

When did I express disgust about them? I respect their right to March / parade in areas where they are wanted , which is most of the time.

Many Unionists I know do not parade but are Unionists all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You mean John Bruton who was referred to by Albert Reynolds as "John Unionist"?

The man who wanted to introduce a tax on childrens shoes?

When did I express disgust about them? I respect their right to March / parade in areas where they are wanted , which is most of the time.

Well that depends on the thread in question.

I actually don’t like her either but up there you could put up any combination of dup/sf and both will get through. One issue dominates - tribal warfare.

Well Tim thank god you forgot about politics that has been a confusing issue for J on this thread.

Not fitting the republican shoe then?

Not fitting the republican shoe then?

Actually yes T he/she is. On previous threads/incarnations claimed to vote nationalist and would never vote unionist.

Sorry J I just seen your edit to this post.

So let's play catch up.
    1. You have friends that you know are unionist.
    2. Yet no one in Ireland would admit to being unionist
    3. You've previously denied voting unionist
    4. You stated you're not a unionist
    5. You refuse to label yourself a unionist

So which and which isn't true?

• Advertisement

So let's play catch up.

When he changes the username to July he will then be a proud Unionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'd keep the jury out on who is behind them. I heard it go off it was that close to me.
    Closing the road with a device on the day of the Ulster Final and the day of the year for many Gaels struck me as a strange thing to do.

As a fellow Monaghan man, I agree, except in the 'quiet' comment. Unionists on the southern side of the border are well able to speak up for themselves and do not hide. I deal with them all the time in business and in various groups.

For some reason, I thought you were more Emyvale/Glaslough direction.

I didn't mean quiet as in holding their tongue, I just meant less voices making noise.

EDIT: I'm also skeptical of who planted what, mostly because of where it was. There's better places to target PSNI rather than a road they are rarely/never on, is the 'Skea barracks even manned these days?

So let's play catch up.

How exactly would you welcome your unionist friends into any potential UI summed up in one post. Charming...

You mean John Bruton who was referred to by Albert Reynolds as "John Unionist"?

Exactly. That was a subtle form of slander here, calling someone who understood unionist views a Unionist. I have heard of tyres slashed of cars over not much more.

How exactly would you welcome your unionist friends into any potential UI summed up in one post. Charming...

T this seems a bit like your single market post in that it's a simple subject yet you've turned it into something else.

How would I welcome my unionist friends into a UI? I'm actually defending the unionist community here. The poster in question changes allegiance every second thread and I'm questioning that.

When he changes the username to July he will then be a proud Unionist.

What a pathetic sectarian post.

Exactly. That was a subtle form of slander here, calling someone who understood unionist views a Unionist. I have heard of tyres slashed of cars over not much more.

Right so you're stating you don't claim to be unionist in real life despite your friends claiming to be unionist.

So why not claim it on Boards? Will your tires be slashed on the Car forum?

The poster's not a unionist T. I would welcome anyone into a united Ireland.

Here is what you said janfebmar
    People who express unionist thoughts in the 26 counties get their windows broken, and worse.

Nobody said John was a Unionist. He has though expressed unionist thoughts. Like yourself. But I see your contradictions there are being tested. And you ain't winning. :)

• Advertisement

What a pathetic sectarian post.

Are you for real? It was a joke.

The man who hates all nationalist cities/areas and when asked to contribute constructively runs off or ignore it.

Advertisement