Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

timthumbni wrote: »
    I don’t need any thanks. Sometimes I do not agree with you. You don’t agree with me etc. The shinnerbots have to hive together though. Not very secure in individually.

Or what you say is complete nonsense. You are gone quiet on Derry today but am sure another rant is bubbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Or what you say is complete nonsense. You are gone quiet on Derry today but am sure another rant is bubbling.

Yeh, the tagteam are back in the 30 and 40's now looking for pogroms to deflect away from more recent ones and the one organisation left that most resembles the Nazis today - the cuddly, culturefull OO.

Yeh, the tagteam are back in the 30 and 40's now looking for pogroms to deflect away from more recent ones and the one organisation left that most resembles the Nazis today - the cuddly, culturefull OO.

Ahh throw in a bouncy castle and it makes the orange day all fine for the family. Forget the bile and hatred spewed.

Ahh throw in a bouncy castle and it makes the orange day all fine for the family. Forget the bile and hatred spewed.

I made the point and posted links earlier, even the KKK had the family days out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Nazis or the rest of the world? Who’s better? In your mind there is a dilemma. No one else has concerns but I suppose if you hate the dastardly brits that much then you can even consider the nazis as the better option.

And stop putting the word liar in front of my name.

Have some manners.

This whole line is a lie perpetrated by you. Everyone following the thread knows it. You are a liar.

We were talking on support for the Germans and I posted:
    Back then given an option one might choose German over British. In retrospect, not so much.

All your guff above is lies derived from that quote.
    Then you doubled down with nasty inferences about Catholics and Jews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

janfebmar wrote: »
    Hounded them out of Limerick. Let little or no refugees in here before, during or after the war. Sent condolences to Germany on the death of Hitler (another born and bred Catholic) only weeks after the Nazi death camps were exposed to the world.

You're thinking of Eamon De Valera. And So what has that to do with anything? Do you even remember what your pretend point was?
    Hating Catholics is it now?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am just back to the thread now for a few minutes only, after a few hours break....I pointed out before how Davycc has thanked Francie thousands of times but never posted anything himself. LOL.
    The obsession with who thanks who on this site never ceases to amaze me. There is no need to highlight this, and it serves no purpose.

Discuss the topic and not other posters

Any questions PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

This whole line is a lie perpetrated by you. Everyone following the thread knows it. You are a liar.

We were talking on support for the Germans and I posted:

All your guff above is lies derived from that quote.
    Then you doubled down with nasty inferences about Catholics and Jews.

You are really into the liar scenario pal, aren’t you? On the verge of being obsessive in fact. Don’t lie here, but are you ok?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You are really into the liar scenario pal, aren’t you? On the verge of being obsessive in fact. Don’t lie here, but are you ok?
    Comment on the post, not the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The majority of what your post says about irelands war of independence and civil war isn't on the radar in the UK-there are vague notions that Ireland stabbed the UK in the back during the Great war by trying to form an alliance with the Germans but that's as far as it goes.Most people wouldn't have heard of Pearse or any of the others from 1916 .WW1 was and is what is remembered in the UK.
    I'm not saying this to offend,it's the truth.
    In regards to the 30s and 40s the main interest was rising tensions with the nazis and WW2-Britains own struggle against the axis powers was the only interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The majority of what your post says about irelands war of independence and civil war isn't on the radar in the UK-there are vague notions that Ireland stabbed the UK in the back during the Great war by trying to form an alliance with the Germans but that's as far as it goes.Most people wouldn't have heard of Pearse or any of the others from 1916 .WW1 was and is what is remembered in the UK.
    I'm not saying this to offend,it's the truth.
    In regards to the 30s and 40s the main interest was rising tensions with the nazis and WW2-Britains own struggle against the axis powers was the only interest.

Working between the UK and US R and I have to agree with you. It's nothing that we should be offended by though. Their lack of knowledge of history is in part responsible for the Brexit mess we're in now. The Good Friday agreement dictates how part of the UK should be run in close cooperation with the republic and yet most people here seem not to know much about it. I've met people here who didn't know that Dublin is in Ireland and Belfast in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I've met people here who didn't know that Dublin is in Ireland and Belfast in the UK.

I have met people in America who did not know where Ireland was.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have met people in America who did not know where Ireland was.

Same! The education system leaves a lot to be desired.

Same! The education system leaves a lot to be desired.

I guess if you ask many people in Ireland about far away countries that have a population of say 4 million, they may not know too much about them either. Talking about "The education system leaves a lot to be desired", did you know "1 in 6 adults has literacy difficulties in Ireland. The OECD Adult Skills Survey shows that 17.9% or about 1 in 6, Irish adults are at or below level 1 on a five level literacy scale. ... 25% or 1 in 4 Irish adults score at or below level 1 for numeracy compared to just over 20% on average across participating countries."

blanch152 wrote: »
    De Valera let this country down badly, we shouldn't be afraid to admit that. After all, the British have more or less disowned Chamberlain, shouldn't we disown De Valera?

Actually, contrary to the usual nauseating British propaganda, Éamon de Valera served the Irish people very well in WWII. If the worst he did was the condolences, then that's implicit testimony to all the Irish lives his policies saved.

Had he been another lackey of the British Empire in the mode of John Redmond in WWI, you and the rest of the bloodlust-loving poppy pushers would no doubt be lauding de Valera for sending 100,000 poorer Irish people to their deaths on behalf of the British Empire. This is the same British Empire that after over 6 years of collaborating with Nazi Germany finally decided, as late as September 1939, that the Nazis were the bad guys. You'll all make excuses for when the British look out for their national interest, and suddenly get offended when any other state does the same if it goes against the newfound British national interest. All very predictable, actually.

I love the way people have a 20/20 hindsight of 1930/40’s Europe. Ireland was a very different place. We had just coming out three wars - war of independence, civil war and economic war. Britain were our bitterest foe. Everyone knows now how evil nazism actually was but that was not as clear back then. If hitler stuck to attacking Jews in Germany or Austria no one would have done a thing. So less of the moral high grounds.

I wouldn't even bother defending it, ML. I'd be on the attack, detailing the more than 6 years of British state collaboration - or "appeasement" as they euphemistically term it - with Nazi Germany between 1933-1939, when they belatedly decided - having sold out the French, Jews, Czechs and practically everybody else - that the British were against fascism. It was always such a hard call, given that for the majority of the British Nazism was the... bulwark... against... communism. That was their excuse; Hitler was the lesser of two evils. Which of course helps explain why the British refused to join with Stalin to fight Hitler in the late 1930s and indeed why the British refused to invite Stalin to the Munich Conference in September 1938, which ultimately drove Stalin to follow the British and also do a deal with Hitler.

This is the very same British state that in the 1940s was presiding over the deaths of millions of people in the Bengali famine, not to mention financing and internationally defending the herrenvolk settler-colonial régime against the natives in the north-east of Ireland (a state which infamously inspired the Apartheid South African minister for Justice B.J. Vorster as recently as 1963 to say in parliament that he'd surrender all his proposed apartheid legislation for a single clause of the 1922 Special Powers Act used against the Irish in the Six Counties). All of which was quite apt for a British state which opened the 20th century by presiding over the deaths of tens of thousands of women and children in British concentration camps in South Africa. Not forgetting the tens of thousands they executed in kangaroo British colonial courts in Kenya in the 1950s, and the internment of almost 1 million Kenyans in "enclosed villages" in the same decade. I'd be making points like this, this, this, this, and this, among others.

The idea of the British getting all moral about "defeating Nazism" is entertaining. All puffed-up jingoistic nonsense when one considers that in a single Russian battle against Nazi Germany more people died than all British deaths in WWII. The way the poppy brigade go on, you'd swear Hitler was single handedly defeated by the British "standing alone".

, Éamon de Valera served the Irish people very well in WWII.
    He executed 6 captured IRA men in Irish prisons during the war. I agree with you that served the Irish people very well in WW2. No need to read the rest of your rant.

I've met people here who didn't know that Dublin is in Ireland and Belfast in the UK.

Belfast in the UK? Some posters on this very thread would likely get very annoyed if you said Belfast was not in Ireland!

I wouldn't even bother defending it, ML. I'd be on the attack, detailing the more than 6 years of British state collaboration - or "appeasement" as they euphemistically term it - with Nazi Germany between 1933-1939, when they belatedly decided - having sold out the French, Jews, Czechs and practically everybody else - that the British were against fascism. It was always such a hard call, given that for the majority of the British Nazism was the... bulwark... against... communism. That was their excuse; Hitler was the lesser of two evils. Which of course helps explain why the British refused to join with Stalin to fight Hitler in the late 1930s and indeed why the British refused to invite Stalin to the Munich Conference in September 1938, which ultimately drove Stalin to follow the British and also do a deal with Hitler.

This is the very same British state that in the 1940s was presiding over the deaths of millions of people in the Bengali famine, not to mention financing and internationally defending the herrenvolk settler-colonial régime against the natives in the north-east of Ireland (a state which infamously inspired the Apartheid South African minister for Justice B.J. Vorster as recently as 1963 to say in parliament that he'd surrender all his proposed apartheid legislation for a single clause of the 1922 Special Powers Act used against the Irish in the Six Counties). All of which was quite apt for a British state which opened the 20th century by presiding over the deaths of tens of thousands of women and children in British concentration camps in South Africa. Not forgetting the tens of thousands they executed in kangaroo British colonial courts in Kenya in the 1950s, and the internment of almost 1 million Kenyans in "enclosed villages" in the same decade. I'd be making points like this, this, this, this, and this, among others.

The idea of the British getting all moral about "defeating Nazism" is entertaining. All puffed-up jingoistic nonsense when one considers that in a single Russian battle against Nazi Germany more people died than all British deaths in WWII. The way the poppy brigade go on, you'd swear Hitler was single handedly defeated by the British "standing alone".

Our partitionists and Unionists have fallen for the usual British stunt...'blame everybody else'.

You can see them doing it again with Brexit...'it's everybody else that is the problem'. How long until you get more Eoghan Harris's on here doffing the hat and blaming us for Britain's shambles?
    They are happy to point at everything and everyone to cover for their abject failures in the run up to and during WW2.
    Dev and Russell were bit players in the scheme of things and you are absolutely right that Dev keeping us out of the war is why we have survived as a nation.
    Like every other leader, he had his good and his bad side, but because of one misjudgment he has to be 'disowned'. :)

The 'traitor' faux pas takes the absolute biscuit and I can only guess that it came from a mindset that is still colonised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

"A petrol bomb has been thrown by a group of young people during disorder in the Oldpark area of north Belfast." - Belfast Telegraph

Oldpark - Loyalist Area

Again young people having hatred bred into them by that sectarian organisation

• Advertisement

Good article in the Belfast Telegraph about Derry and a ‘shared city’

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/alban-maginness/alban-maginness-why-apprentice-boys-support-for-shared-city-is-proof-of-distance-it-has-travelled-in-londonderry-38420449.html

Makes sense why timthumb would have such detest for the place.

Dev and Russell were bit players in the scheme of things and you are absolutely right that Dev keeping us out of the war is why we have survived as a nation.

We survived as a nation because the UK was between us and Nazi occupied Europe, and because the UK and commonwealth stood up to Hitler. The Nazis invaded lots of neutral countries in Europe, exterminated their Jews, homosexuals, communists, gypsies etc and enslaved their men folk in war factories etc. Hitler did not think the celts were a cultured or Ayran race, he would have done the same to us or worse.
    Dev and the Republican traitor to humanity Russell done shag all to liberate Europe.

gwalk wrote: »
    "A petrol bomb has been thrown by a group of young people during disorder in the Oldpark area of north Belfast." - Belfast Telegraph

Oldpark - Loyalist Area

Again young people having hatred bred into them by that sectarian organisation

It was at the interface with Hillview,so you are right, that sectarian organisation as you call it Sinn Fein would likely have been involved.

Another reason not to have a United Ireland.

We survived as a nation because the UK was between us and Nazi occupied Europe, and because the UK and commonwealth stood up to Hitler. The Nazis invaded lots of neutral countries in Europe, exterminated their Jews, homosexuals, communists, gypsies etc and enslaved their men folk in war factories etc. Hitler did not think the celts were a cultured or Ayran race, he would have done the same to us or worse.
    Dev and the Republican traitor to humanity Russell done shag all to liberate Europe.

We’d all be speaking German only for the usa and Russians. Let’s not kid ourselves. They saved the day and carved up the spoils. Yes the British provided resistance but pearl Harbour saved us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

It was at the interface with Hillview,so you are right, that sectarian organisation as you call it Sinn Fein would likely have been involved.

yes that is Jan, blame "themmuns"

your faux concern is outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Threads like this have put paid to that idea for fair minded people.

We’d all be speaking German only for the usa and Russians. Let’s not kid ourselves.

In the early years of the war, they were not even in the war. It was the UK and her commonwealth which stood alone against Hitler in 1939 / 1940. Go and learn your history.

In the early years of the war, they were not even in the war. It was the UK and her commonwealth which stood alone against Hitler in 1939 / 1940. Go and learn your history.

I am well aware of world war 2 history. Like I said the British out of self interest like all countries provided resistance, the war was won by USA and Russian though. I am surprised you are not having a lash at the USA for not getting involved until after pearl Harbour.

Hitler did not think the celts were a cultured or Ayran race, he would have done the same to us or worse.

And Churchill was much better?

He thought that allowing us to become a republic was akin to giving a country to a 'miserable gang of human leopards in West Africa'.
    A sentiment you no doubt, giving your anti Irish posting history concur with.
    I am glad and always will be that Dev didn't trust Churchill and that he made the right decision not to involve his fledgling nation in a war, because Dev probably was all too aware of Churchill's history too. Caught between a rock and a hard place he navigated the right course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Actually, contrary to the usual nauseating British propaganda, Éamon de Valera served the Irish people very well in WWII. If the worst he did was the condolences, then that's implicit testimony to all the Irish lives his policies saved.

Had he been another lackey of the British Empire in the mode of John Redmond in WWI, you and the rest of the bloodlust-loving poppy pushers would no doubt be lauding de Valera for sending 100,000 poorer Irish people to their deaths on behalf of the British Empire. This is the same British Empire that after over 6 years of collaborating with Nazi Germany finally decided, as late as September 1939, that the Nazis were the bad guys. You'll all make excuses for when the British look out for their national interest, and suddenly get offended when any other state does the same if it goes against the newfound British national interest. All very predictable, actually.

Criticising the British for only realising in 1939 that the Nazis were the bad guys is extremely hypocritical for someone defending the Irish position of never realising that the Nazis were the bad guys.

Nazi Germany was the most evil regime of the 20th century, and we sat on our hands, one of the most shameful acts of Irish history. In fact, some of us - Sean Russell - actively collaborated with and encouraged the Nazis.

Advertisement