Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

blanch152 wrote: »
    More spin. Save yourself and the rest of us more time would'ya?
    You are moving the goal posts once again. The British had concentration camps before the Nazis. Historical fact.
    You may as well dispute what a prison is based on how the inmates are treated. Still a prison.

Equating the Nazi extermination camps to previous iterations of concentration camps is just another disingenuous Republican tactic.

The majority of Nazi concentration camps were not extermination camps. The majority of Nazi concentration camps were quite similar to the British concentration camps. This does not diminish the horror of the Nazi extermination camps, but is a matter of historical fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I see he was depicted in it, but did he actually come up with it?

I'm aware it's totally off topic, but genuinely a nice bit of trivia that!

No, they had ad agencies even back them which originally had a campaign with posters saying 'You King And Country Need You', it was merely adapted when Kitchener was appointed as War Secretary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

janfebmar wrote: »
    And you are blaming the British for inventing prisons?

I'm not the one called the Queen mother a communist.

You don't think 6 million may have died in British concentration camps? Come on now, the British made many mistakes like everyone else, surely it was close to 6 million if not 6 million? I wonder how the South Africans were so agreeable to fight with the British in North Africa and elsewhere a relatively short time afterwards though?

You have some nerve accusing the British of killing 6 million in their concentration camps.
    Oops, you acknowledged them as having existed too. See how painless that was? Now let's discuss internment. How does that sit with the great western democracy of Britlandshire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

You don't think 6 million may have died in British concentration camps? Come on now, the British made many mistakes like everyone else, surely it was close to 6 million if not 6 million? I wonder how the South Africans were so agreeable to fight with the British in North Africa and elsewhere a relatively short time afterwards though?

So you're accusing the British of genocide now ? Typical republican propaganda ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

You have some nerve accusing the British of killing 6 million in their concentration ...

Look up the meaning of sarcasm while you look up the difference between a prison and an extermination camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Look up the meaning of sarcasm while you look up the difference between a prison and an extermination camp.

This would explain a lot. What percentage of your posts should we take seriously then?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    This would explain a lot. What percentage of your posts should we take seriously then?

Just the one where I replied to the inference implied by the claim about the British inventing concentration camps.

You have some nerve accusing the British of killing 6 million in their concentration camps.
    Oops, you acknowledged them as having existed too. See how painless that was? Now let's discuss internment. How does that sit with the great western democracy of Britlandshire?

What amazes me is how blanch and jan managed to avoid reading about Britain's concentration camps when they were acquiring their knowledge of the world.

There is only one education system in the world that I know of that avoids talking about the downsides of the Empire.

So you find concentration camps a subject of amusement? A new low Jan. Is this because the British invented them? Very poor.

• Advertisement

So you find concentration camps a subject of amusement? A new low Jan. Is this because the British invented them? Very poor.

No, I find your comparison to what went on in that period in South Africa, in comparing it to the Nazi death camps, a new low.

The same people who the British had in "concentration camps" had no problem volunteering - yes volunteering - to travel half way around the world and fight with the British to help free Europe of Nazism. How come the victims of Britains "concentration camps" were so pro British, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

No, I find your comparison to what went on in that period in South Africa, in comparing it to the Nazi death camps, a new low.

The same people who the British had in "concentration camps" had no problem volunteering - yes volunteering - to travel half way around the world and fight with the British to help free Europe of Nazism. How come the victims of Britains "concentration camps" were so pro British, I wonder?

Since, as usual, with the more difficult posts, you decided to ignore it, I'll try again.

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension, Jan? How does this in any way relate to what my post actually says?

It's a really simple question - do you accept the historic fact that the British were the first to use concentration camps?

We're in full agreement that the Nazi camps were much worse, in a huge number of ways. I am particularly careful in my use of the term extermination camp in my previous statement to differentiate between the two. Dachau was a concentration camp, and had more in common with the British concentration camps of the Boer war than Auschwitz, which was an extermination camp.

So stop comparing them then. You started it, much like the British started concentration camps.
    Also I feel you should apologise to any British subjects on here for inferring the British killed 6 million people in their concentration camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    That`s correct Ed,by Kerry`s Lord Kitchener.

Yes indeed. Son of a British army officer from the Anglo-Irish ruling class. There's no surprise he was of questionable character.
    He also came up with the iconic 'your country needs you'recruiting poster and slogan.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/zob9gJ1vwH8D4KKL6

I see he was depicted in it, but did he actually come up with it?

I'm aware it's totally off topic, but genuinely a nice bit of trivia that!
    I believe francie is correct that it was a graphic artist.The idea was copied by the US with their 'Uncle Sam needs you' posters.

I believe francie is correct that it was a graphic artist.The idea was copied by the US with their 'Uncle Sam needs you' posters.

Those other copycat Empire builders liked it too.

488702.jpg

So stop comparing them then. You started it, much like the British started concentration camps.

The British did not invent concentration camps, and I did not compare them, old chap. ;)

The British did not invent concentration camps, and I did not compare them, old chap. ;)

Is this sarcasm J?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The British did not invent concentration camps,.................

But they did use them, up until the 1960's, afaik.

Odhinn wrote: »

Jan reckons the brits killed 6 million in them.

Odhinn wrote: »

That shows you know f. All. :)

I bet some here reckon they continued them until the 80's at least, some Republicans called Long Kesh a concentration camp. It is an insult to the victims of Nazi Germany to refer to British camps as concentration camps when discussing WW2.

N.B. Mrs Thatchets concentration camps were a holiday camp compared to Develeras prisons, where he executed 6 captured IRA prisoners. And they in turn were hugely different from the places in Europe where the Nazis murdered millions.

• Advertisement

Jan reckons the brits killed 6 million in them.

The Nazis murdered 6 million plus in their extermination camps, the British did not, despite the sick attempts of some posters to link them.

I bet some here reckon they continued them until the 80's at least, some Republicans called Long Kesh a concentration camp. It is an insult to the victims of Nazi Germany to refer to British camps as concentration camps when discussing WW2.

N.B. Mrs Thatchets concentration camps were a holiday camp compared to Develeras prisons, where he executed 6 captured IRA prisoners. And they in turn were hugely different from the places in Europe where the Nazis murdered millions.

Nope they use to just grab people off the street and torture them.

They had them. That's what you spent pages trying to dismiss. Give over now. It's quite amusing to watch you try dogie paddle mind. DeV's what now are you at? :) To quote Irish girl band B*witched, "What are you like?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I bet (........................)millions.
    That shows somebody is clueless, true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Detention_Camps_during_the_Mau_Mau_Uprising

Nope they use to just grab people off the street and torture them.

They had them.

Long Kesh? Naw, it is quite amusing seeing someone so sick and brainwashed trying to compare others to the Nazis. Not surprising seeing as your comrade Sean Russell tried to collaborate with the Nazis I suppose. How did he die on the German Submarine again?

The Nazis murdered 6 million plus in their extermination camps, the British did not, despite the sick attempts of some posters to link them.

Then why did you claim they did earlier? It's getting hard to understand.

So we are all agreed...The Nazis used the same methods as the British used right up to the Mau Mau rising.
    It was just the numbers dead that differ?

Did anyone copy Internment...oh yea...the Americans did.

Long Kesh? Naw, it is quite amusing seeing someone so sick and brainwashed trying to compare others to the Nazis. Not surprising seeing as your comrade Sean Russell tried to collaborate with the Nazis I suppose. How did he die on the German Submarine again?

That would be yourself Jan :)

Mosleyblackshirts.jpg

JS4287879Library-filer-date.jpg?w968h681

6630386-16x9-700x394.jpg

_40716791_sun203ok.jpg

Sorry, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Those other copycat Empire builders liked it too.

488702.jpg
    Didn't notorious dev have that very picture on his wall..

I think a lot of the spirit of things has been lost on this thread. Ireland was right to stay out of the war in my opinion. As a result of the famine we're the only country in Europe who's population is less than it was 150 years ago. Then we had the war of independence and the civil war. As a country we suffered enough.

• Advertisement

Didn't notorious dev have that very picture on his wall..

Give it a few pages of posts and somebody we know will be posting that as the truth. :)

Advertisement