Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

blanch152 wrote: »
    Of course you aren't. :D:D:D:D:D:D

I know who needs to get out more. 24/7/365 stuck to a screen is a clue. :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Dytalus wrote: »
    That the governing parties (and the transplanted colonists, and the few native irish given positions of power to keep them onside) of Ireland supported the Empire is not the same as saying the Irish were willing participants. By the same logic, India was a willing participant in the Empire.

Firstly, there is a difference between India and Ireland. India was a colony and always remained one. Ireland was a home country and was seen as such. With the Act of Union in 1800, that position of Ireland was copperfastened. India never got that status.

Secondly, the argument about willing participants would also apply to England, Wales and Scotland, as they all had similar democratic arrangements in place at the time.

That being said, both your view and mine, while mutually incompatible, are legitimate interpretations of events from several centuries ago for which there is no hard and fast evidence. We don't have opinion polls from the 17th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That the governing parties (and the transplanted colonists, and the few native irish given positions of power to keep them onside) of Ireland supported the Empire is not the same as saying the Irish were willing participants. By the same logic, India was a willing participant in the Empire.

Or the Belgian Congo was a willing member of the Belgian Empire. Or [insert colonised nation here] was a willing participant in [insert invading empire here]. The whole point of colonisation (where natives existed, rather than empty patches of land) was to usurp control of the region from the natives (or exterminate them, if one was feeling particularly cruel at the time), so of course the colonies would go along with the Empire. Ireland had the dubious 'privilege' of being a home nation by virtue of its extensive plantations of British colonists, by the subjugation of the local population (or their exile to the considerably lower quality land in Connaught - Cromwell's "To Hell or to Connaught!") and that the British were well in control of it long before they began their imperial expansion.

Do not mistake that to mean the Irish people supported the Empire, anymore than the Native Americans or native Indians did (or the Congolese supported Belgium, for that matter).

For the record, I on the whole view the Empire the way the Indians tend to (based on this article). I don't particularly care. It would be nice for Britain to own up to and apologise for the atrocities it committed...but most nations don't. Pretty much uniquely Germany does.

An understandable, if disappointing, fact of the world.

Most of my current distaste for Britain is directed almost entirely at its government, for its patronising (and at times outright insulting) treatment and view of Ireland and the (implied, if not overt) view that we're being a bit uppity for acting in our own interests in the wake of Brexit. Likewise, even that distaste for their political class has only blossomed post-Brexit (I'd kept my 'anti-Britishness' to cheering against them in Rugby, football, and Cricket...because it amuses me and as an Irish/Aussie I have other allegiances. Your cyclists in the olympics though...gosh they're some stunning athletes.). Sometimes I see some anti-Irish comment online, on Reddit or in news articles, or on Polls and Twitter feeds, and I let my anger towards Parliament lash out at the British public. It's not fair to do, and I'm ashamed when it happens, because I know that the average British person is well meaning - I lived in England, twice, and have pretty fond memories of both times. Ignorant of Ireland (in the genuine ignorant type way, not the bigoted type way) and our history and current relations they may be, but I chalk that up to a failing of education and their media and not maliciousness.

And WRT the Commonwealth.... I'd say most nations (and certainly their governments, if not their people) realise it's not fair to blame the current British government and people for the actions of their fathers (much like it's not fair to blame modern Germany for the Holocaust). As a result, joining the Commonwealth shouldn't be seen as a 'betrayal' of their independence fighters or anything like that. Modern Britain is not the Empire. That's not to say the lack of apologies or concessions or what-have-you isn't immune to criticism. I also criticise the Japanese for their whitewashing of their war crimes during WW2, even if I don't hold them actually responsible. You won't see me demanding the EU dismantle the FTA with Japan they negotiated.

Personally...'meh'. I don't particularly want to join because...what's the point? But like Fionn1952 I'm not exactly against it if it became an issue with unionists in a hypothetical UI. I'd probably even vote for it if there was a referendum, or if it was a UI requirement. I'd wager we're only not a member because when it came about there was no real momentum to join - we had a rather stupid 'we stand alone!' economic policy for quite a long time. I just don't see the point in doing it now.

Although seeing Ireland in the Commonwealth Games could be kinda neat.

We would need to be very careful with joining the Commonwealth. Some in Britain wish to use it as a replacement for the EU, which would bring us as a member into a compromising position.

mattser wrote: »
    I know who needs to get out more. 24/7/365 stuck to a screen is a clue. :D:D:D:D:D:D

And there it is! :D:D

My job has me 'stuck' in front of 3 screens every day mattser. Writing this post was a 10 sec distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Firstly, there is a difference between India and Ireland. India was a colony and always remained one. Ireland was a home country and was seen as such. With the Act of Union in 1800, that position of Ireland was copperfastened. India never got that status.

Secondly, the argument about willing participants would also apply to England, Wales and Scotland, as they all had similar democratic arrangements in place at the time.

That being said, both your view and mine, while mutually incompatible, are legitimate interpretations of events from several centuries ago for which there is no hard and fast evidence. We don't have opinion polls from the 17th century.

Oh you'll hear no argument from me. From a legal and political standpoint Ireland was definitely a member-state of the UK and not a colony in the Empire. My view is simply on whether it had any legitimacy from the perspective of the Irish (specifically, the native Irish rather than the planted inhabitants). Both Ireland and British India (and the Belgian Congo to keep with previous examples) had their political structures put in place by the conquerors. I'm just conscious that 'legal' does not always mean 'right'.

At least Scotland had their own monarch ascend to the English throne, so it wasn't quite the same circumstances - our monarch was the English monarch (I'm unfamiliar as to what happened to Wales, I only know that by the time Scotland and England merged their thrones and parliaments, Wales was already part of the Kingdom of England).

You and I can probably debate and discuss our views endlessly (and I'd wager it'd be interesting to do so) but it's ultimately a difference in how to view the Union and opinions on its legitimacy - both of which have a basis in the historical occurrences. Opinions (especially on such ancient happenings) are not easily changed and we'd probably just go round in circles.

Agree to disagree, then. Thanks for being civil about it, and for recognising both our views are legitimate interpretations. It's a fun topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh you'll hear no argument from me. From a legal and political standpoint Ireland was definitely a member-state of the UK and not a colony in the Empire. My view is simply on whether it had any legitimacy from the perspective of the Irish (specifically, the native Irish rather than the planted inhabitants). Both Ireland and British India (and the Belgian Congo to keep with previous examples) had their political structures put in place by the conquerors. I'm just conscious that 'legal' does not always mean 'right'.

At least Scotland had their own monarch ascend to the English throne, so it wasn't quite the same circumstances - our monarch was the English monarch (I'm unfamiliar as to what happened to Wales, I only know that by the time Scotland and England merged their thrones and parliaments, Wales was already part of the Kingdom of England).

You and I can probably debate and discuss our views endlessly (and I'd wager it'd be interesting to do so) but it's ultimately a difference in how to view the Union and opinions on its legitimacy - both of which have a basis in the historical occurrences. Opinions (especially on such ancient happenings) are not easily changed and we'd probably just go round in circles.

Agree to disagree, then. Thanks for being civil about it, and for recognising both our views are legitimate interpretations. It's a fun topic.

No need to thank me for being civil, it is always interesting to engage with reasoned arguments, and sometimes minds can be changed, or alternative viewpoints can be absorbed for a slightly different overall perspective.

The legitimacy viewpoint is interesting, but if you consider that most of us Irish have some of the planters in our ancestry, then if their legitimacy is questionable, what about ours? Sometimes it comes down to who is Irish, but also are there more than Irish living on this island, and what say do they have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

And there it is! :D:D

My job has me 'stuck' in front of 3 screens every day mattser. Writing this post was a 10 sec distraction.

You have the screen in the bookies and two phones? Yes Francie, you are well known by now. Even though you do not vote Sinn Fein and never have, according to yourself, how come you defend their position 24/7?

janfebmar wrote: »
    You have the screen in the bookies and two phones? Yes Francie, you are well known by now. Even though you do not vote Sinn Fein and never have, according to yourself, how come you defend their position 24/7?

When is the last time Sinn Fein were mentioned on this thread?

Were you not complaining about 'attacks on the player, not the ball' just last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

how nice of Britain to invade a few countries and give Ireland a better status than the other countries they were raping. how jolly decent of them and us Irish should doff the cap more often for the privilege.

thats basically what you were saying, yes?

Correct and great post. Very fair.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    how nice of Britain to invade a few countries and give Ireland a better status than the other countries they were raping. how jolly decent of them and us Irish should doff the cap more often for the privilege.

thats basically what you were saying, yes?

The willful ignoring of the the fact that it was the Anglo Irish ascendancy that took onto itself the title of 'home nation' is clear.
    For the rest of the population it looked like a colony, operated like a colony, and was rejected like a colony.

Our royalists and partitionists haven't gotten over that. The UK itself might have come and gone before they do.

When is the last time Sinn Fein were mentioned on this thread?

The thread is about 12th July, SF was mentioned lots of times and is probably more relevant than complaining about what the British did or did not do hundreds of years ago.

The thread is about 12th July,

The penny finally drops with 'The Great Deflector'.

The penny finally drops with 'The Great Deflector'.

So now the penny has finally dropped with you, and we have established Ireland was a home country, maybe we can get the thread back on topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

RobMc59 wrote: »
    People like Kitchener and The Duke of Wellington-English/(not)Irish/anglo irish people but definitely NOT Irish,now the latest-the countries of the 19th century UK did`nt exist and were merely entities on a map-you could`nt make it up unless you were a script writer for fawlty towers or some other hilarious comedy of that ilk.

Who said they weren't? We said they didn't represent the Irish people. See we'd no democracy then, we were occupied and ruled by a sub set of vested interests/lackeys for the crown. FYI: As Kitchener was Irish so is everyone else born on the Ireland, under British rule or not. I agree.

You are saying because he is English, that explains his denial and a superiority complex? Charming.

TBF Jan, they currently occupy a portion of the Irish province of Ulster for no other reason than they took it and kept it. The whole faux democracy baloney came later.

So now the penny has finally dropped with you, and we have established Ireland was a home country, maybe we can get the thread back on topic?

Ireland will always be a 'home country' for the hat doffers and with those who haven't confronted their inferiority complexes.

And up onto the high moral ground goes the poster who came onto the thread to ask 'whatabout Sean Russell', who had been discussed and finished with pages ago. :rolleyes:

He was last seen giving whataboutery regarding Nuns and Churchill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

You are saying because he is English, that explains his denial and a superiority complex? Charming.

TBF Jan, they currently occupy a portion of the Irish province of Ulster for no other reason than they took it and kept it. The whole faux democracy baloney came later.
    As recognized by your own nation in the GFA Matt.

I recognise it. It would be odd to try deny it wouldn't it? Some of us want the country united though. Nobody voted for the status but for peace voted to recognise it, weird coming from rabid nationalists huh?

• Advertisement

And your government recognised as legitimate the aspiration to get rid of them Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No offence Blanch but I think the reason you've avoided my question on how the Irish were regarded is because you can't answer it without realising your argument is pretty weak.

The Irish were thought of as an inferior race as evident by the pictures below depicting a member of the Young Ireland Party and an anthropological depiction of the Irish phenotype. Anthropologists were sent to Ireland to examine the question of how an "inferior race" could live so close to England. Attempts were made to distinguish the average Irish man from an English or Scottish person by suggesting he was of African lineage. Hopefully this was before out of Africa theory.

A lot of the anti-Irish sentiment that arose in Britain goes hand in hand with colonial propaganda. If you want to justify colonising somewhere they would do well to suggest that the people they’re colonising need civilising.

Dr. Mary Hickman of the University of London will give a better introduction than I can.
    Dr Mary Hickman, director of the Irish Studies Centre at the University of London, says in her book, Religion, Class and Identity, that since the Anglo-Norman invasion in the 12th century the English have tried to justify their attacks on Ireland by racism. She said yesterday: "Many people assume that current English hostility or discrimination towards the Irish is the result of events in Northern Ireland so they see it as regrettable but understandable."

Dr Hickman, who is conducting a nationwide study of discrimination against the Irish for the Equal Opportunities Commission, argues that Ireland is important to the security of England and successive generations have tried to justify invasion and colonisation by stereotyping the Irish as wild and uncivilised.The Pope sanctioned the Anglo-Norman invasion on the grounds that Ireland was alleged to be only nominally Christian. Dr Hickman says: "The evidence for dominating Ireland has involved lengthy discussions on the Irish national character directly linked to notions about the Celts as a "race" or the Irish as a nation.

The emphasis prior to the 16th century was on the paganism, superstition and barbarism of the Irish. Before then, Dr Hickman says, the caricature concentrated on their wildness and savagery.

From the reign of Elizabeth 1, the English began systematically to colonise Ireland and the stereotype became more detailed: in particular the notion of the Irish as "stupid" became common. "Most of this was designed to show how English rule could be used to benefit the Irish," says Dr Hickman.

An anonymous contemporary of Shakespeare included a very ignorant and wild Irishman in the play Sir John Oldcastle, based partly, scholars think on MacMorris in Henry V.

During the 16th and 17th centuries, the stereotype changed: the half- human savage became a figure of contempt. In the 19th century more details of the stereotype, such as idleness and drinking, were filled in.

English attitudes to the Irish are closely connected to anti-Catholicism. Dr Hickman's book points out that a separate system of Roman Catholic schools grew up because of the hostility of English working class parents to having their children educated alongside Irish children. It was not the case that the Catholics insisted on their own schools.

main-qimg-0e75de99e97c072d136df4e943b551d5.webp

main-qimg-7a368cf33eccca2fa0c424f9f3e03df0.webp

These views were also expressed in laws. The penal laws or more specifically the popery laws discriminated against Irish Catholics who made up ~90% of the population in terms of housing, education and right to land. Since the acts were introduced a reduction in Catholic land ownership occurred.

Catholic land holdings:

1688: 25% of land
    1704: 14% of land
    1776: 5% of land

Some might say that this was a class thing, but they’re only partly right. The upper classes in Ireland were generally Protestant Anglo-Irish. The working classes were Catholic. Hence the distinction was made between Anglo and Hibernian as opposed to upper and lower classes.

And your government recognised as legitimate the aspiration to get rid of them Rob.

People could always have aspirations.

What a nothing comment. Ran out of material but still plenty of anti-Irish bile Jan? Did you know DeValera shot six IRA lads?

And people could be jailed, or shot for having those aspirations. The British now accept it is a legitimate aspiration and by so doing recognise that their presence is for some...illegitimate.

It is no small coincidence that you still haven't gotten over them recognising that in the south and packing their bags and leaving. But we live in hope that one day you might reconcile that long past event which is eating you up in almost every post you make.

As I said, like it or not, people could always have aspirations. For example, in 1973 in Northern Ireland, there was a border poll / referendum, voting open to all adults of course. People who has the aspiration for a United Ireland could have voted that way if they so wished.

Francie loses his argument yet again.

As I said, like it or not, people could always have aspirations. For example, in 1973 in Northern Ireland, there was a border poll / referendum, voting open to all adults of course. People who has the aspiration for a United Ireland could have voted that way if they so wished.

The British don't recognise our aspirations for a united Ireland?

People could always have aspirations. Be they a child who wanted to play for Man. Utd, an aspiration to win the lotto or an aspiration for a United Ireland, people could always have aspirations.

The British don't recognise our aspirations for a united Ireland?

Why do you think they had a border poll in 1973? If most people in N I wanted the "Brits out" , they would have gone long long ago, same as they did elsewhere in the world.

• Advertisement

5. We acknowledge the substantial differences between our continuing, and equally legitimate, political aspirations.

ii) recognise the legitimacy of whatever choice is freely exercised by a
    majority of the people of Northern Ireland with regard to its status,
    whether they prefer to continue to support the Union with Great Britain or
    a sovereign united Ireland;

'Legitimate' jan is the word you are furiously avoiding. It means, when the time comes they will pack up and go, like they did in the south.

Your pain and hurt is evident again.

Advertisement