Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,844 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    Naw, it is up if you look for it. It is even on Wiki. I told you to google for it. I even think another poster gave a link earlier to make it even easier for you. I feel sorry for you. :D:D:D:D:D:D You are nearly as bad as Matt who said:

Link jan to constituency breakdowns like you said were sparse, but are available for EVERY other referendum in both jurisdications at the same time. It isn't on this page
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Northern_Ireland_border_poll

You are talking nonsense until you can link to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Link jan to constituency breakdowns like you said were sparse, but are available for EVERY other referendum in both jurisdications at the same time. It isn't on this page

You are talking nonsense until you can link to that.

I never mentioned, nor am I overly interested in ," constituency breakdowns ". They may or may not be available someplace if I looked for them, I could not be bothered when the result of the referendum is well known. " constituency breakdowns" do not affect the overall result.

As your comrade in post no.4374 states
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    No one is arguing that the poll was rigged, .
    So why look for constituency breakdowns?

You are engaging in deflection again and I am not falling for it.

Unlike Matt Barrett, do you accept there was a referendum? Because everyone else does. Not had a good day, have you Francie. You have been proved wrong on so much.

I never mentioned, nor am I overly interested in ," constituency breakdowns ". They may or may not be available someplace if I looked for them, I could not be bothered when the result of the referendum is well known. " constituency breakdowns" do not affect the overall result.
    So you made a claim...now when you cannot back it up...you hand wave it away as not being important.

What a lying charlatan response that is.
    Unlike Matt Barrett, do you accept there was a referendum? Because everyone else does.

When did I ever deny it...I am the only one to link to ACTUAL fecking data on your referendum.

You absolute joke of a poster. :):)

...I am the only one to link to ACTUAL fecking data on your referendum.

You absolute joke of a poster. :):)

Another outright lie from you Francie. For example, on post no. 4357 of this very thread, another poster links to data on the Referendum ( by the way, it was not MY referendum )
    blanch152 wrote: »
    This is just silly republican propaganda.

"In addition to taking a majority of votes cast, the UK option received the support of 57.5% of the total electorate."

Even if every person who boycotted it came out and voted for Irish unity, the UK option would still have won. Those are hard facts, not propaganda, not excuses, not fantasies, just plain hard mathematical facts.

You absolute joke of a poster, Francie. :)

You have been caught out yet again Francie, for the hundreth time.

Another outright lie from you Francie. For example, on post no. 4357 of this very thread, another poster links to data on the Referendum ( by the way, it was not MY referendum )

You absolute joke of a poster, Francie. :)

That's the same link I used :):) to show there is the minimum of info available.. no constituency data or breakdowns at all. Exactly what you would do if you wanted to rig an election...hide the DATA.

The referendum was arranged to leave no trace. Because it was a sham from the beginning

• Advertisement

That's the same link I used :):) to show there is the minimum of info available..

If you google it you will find other info. There is more than enough information on that link about the referendum. You only used the link after it was provided to you.

That's the same link I used :):) to show there is the minimum of info available.. no constituency data or breakdowns at all. Exactly what you would do if you wanted to rig an election...hide the DATA.

The referendum was arranged to leave no trace. Because it was a sham from the beginning

You are the only one to think the poll was rigged. Although in other posts you seem to accept the result because of demographics then.

Quote:
    "No one is arguing that the poll was rigged, "

Stop Press: Francis has declared "Exactly what you would do if you wanted to rig an election."

So now Francie is "arguing that the poll was rigged", are you Francie? On what basis, you do not like the result?

If you google it you will find other info. There is more than enough information on that link about the referendum. You only used the link after it was provided to you.

You are the only one to think the poll was rigged. Although in other posts you seem to accept the result because of demographics then.

Quote:
    "No one is arguing that the poll was rigged, "

Stop Press: Francis has declared "Exactly what you would do if you wanted to rig an election."

So not Francie is "arguing that the poll was rigged", are you Francie? On what basis, you do not like the result?

Boards.ie resident comedian = janfebmar.

Can we vote on this?

Francie says Yeh.

Boards.ie resident comedian = janfebmar.

Can we vote on this?

Francie says Yeh.

Stop diverting, you were caught out again.

Diverting from you backing up your claim that ALL referendums in the 70's have sparse info available?

We know, by factual links who won that debate jan.

You are a charlatan, who lies at will to defend the British.

Diverting from you backing up your claim that ALL referendums in the 70's have sparse info available?

We know, by factual links who won that debate jan.

You are a charlatan, who lies at will to defend the British.

Lol. There is more than enough information available on the 1973 referendum, you said you were the only one to link to it, I showed you a poster who linked to it previously. Try Google for more links to it.

Stop deflecting to referendums on other matters in the 70's , the UK referendum on EEC entry for example was more complicated and affected many more people.

I do not have to lie to defend the British. The referendum was voted on by people born in Ireland, you should respect their democratic wishes. The fact you do not, and endorsed the terrorist campaign / armed struggle against them, is very sad.

• Advertisement

Lol. There is more than enough information available on the 1973 referendum,

Link me to the constituency breakdowns then. You cant because they don't exist...making this referendum unique.

No getting away from it jan.

That referendum was unique because it was the only border poll referendum in N Ireland. Do you accept the result of the referendum or not?

That referendum was unique because it was the only border poll referendum in N Ireland. Do you accept the result of the referendum or not?

Of course I accepted the sham result...I could have saved the government the hassle and money and told them the result months before.

The referendum was one vote per adult of voting age. The people spoke. Why do you not accept democracy / the democratic result of the referendum?

steddyeddy wrote: »

No one is arguing that the poll was rigged, .

Comrade Francie says it was a sham, because he does not like the result of the referendum, where more that half of the electorate voted to stay in the UK.

Comrade Francie says it was a sham, because he does not like the result of the referendum, where more that half of the electorate voted to stay in the UK.

'Only' just over half the electorate voted, you mean. The just 'over half' that we all knew wanted to stay in UK, funnily enough...a huge waste of money from start to finis, that actually made things worse rather than better.

Voter turnout was about the same as in other referendums, here and elsewhere, despite the threats of pira violence and intimidation, who were letting off bombs on an almost daily basis in N Ireland at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The referendum was one vote per adult of voting age. The people spoke. Why do you not accept democracy / the democratic result of the referendum?

I don't get what you mean by this. Are you saying vote once on a topic, and be done with it, only to never revisit the topic?

Voter turnout was about the same as in other referendums, here and elsewhere,

Less than 1% of the Catholic vote turned out.

The total turnout was 57% which was well short of the turnout at votes even in the same year.

District Council Elections 1973 = 68.1%

Northern Ireland Assembly Election 1973 = 72%

Full constituency breakdowns are available for the above two elections in the exact same year.

There are NONE for the referendum...all democrats can decide for themselves why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

In 1918 Sinn Fein won 70% of the seats in ireland. So going by your logic the country should never have been partitioned. Surely that vote supersedes the vote in 1973

• Advertisement

I don't get what you mean by this. Are you saying vote once on a topic, and be done with it, only to never revisit the topic?

No, I said the people voted in 1973, but the the extremist Republican movement continued an armed struggle for decades afterwards, despite the wishes of the people being widely known.

Less than 1% of the Catholic vote turned out.
    There are no statistics to show or prove that. In one area one journalist thought only 1% of Catholics voted - that is different to 1 % of Catholics voted overall. Then as now much more than 1% of Catholics want to stay part of the UK. People were not asked their religion when they voted so there are no statistics showing what % of Catholics voted. You are lying again Francie. And do not bring up the BBC journalist who "thought" where he was that 1 % of Catholics voted.

CptMackey wrote: »
    In 1918 Sinn Fein won 70% of the seats in ireland. So going by your logic the country should never have been partitioned. Surely that vote supersedes the vote in 1973

janfebmar is currently trying to reverse out of one of her familiar cul de sac's. Don't be complicating things for her! :)

janfebmar is currently trying to reverse out of one of her familiar cul de sac's. Don't be complicating things for her! :)

One election / referendum at a time. Francie does not accept the results of one in living memory.

The election 100 years ago was different. We have no control over what was agreed then.

There are no statistics to show or prove that. In one area one journalist thought only 1% of Catholics voted - that is different to 1 % of Catholics voted overall. Then as now much more than 1% of Catholics want to stay part of the UK. People were not asked their religion when they voted so there are no statistics showing what % of Catholics voted. You are lying again Francie. And do not bring up the BBC journalist who "thought" where he was that 1 % of Catholics voted.

Ah, eventually you admit there are NO statisitics. That's something.

What we have is widely reported evidence and acceptance that it was boycitted by Nationalists and a contemporaneous account on the BBC that states clearly that less than 1% of Catholics voted...which CURIOUSLY enough tallies exactly with how one would have expected the vote to turnout in this predictable sham of a referendum.

One election / referendum at a time. Francie does not accept the results of one in living memory.

The election 100 years ago was different. We have no control over what was agreed then.

:D:D:D:D

I think janfebmar has crashed spectacularly again...she never did get the hang of that reversing technique. :):) ::) Funny funny stuff

Ah, eventually you admit there are NO statisitics. That's something.

What we have is widely reported evidence and acceptance that it was boycitted by Nationalists and a contemporaneous account on the BBC that states clearly that less than 1% of Catholics voted...which CURIOUSLY enough tallies exactly with how one would have expected the vote to turnout in this predictable sham of a referendum.
    Funny enough in another area 25% of Catholics voted, but there was a bombing campaign by the pira on at the time, you do not remember that Francie?

Overall well over half the electorate voted to stay in the UK.

Funny enough in another area 25% of Catholics voted, but there was a bombing campaign by the pira on at the time, you do not remember that Francie?

Overall well over half the electorate voted to stay in the UK.

There was a conflict/war on at the time jan.

It had been going on for a number of years and continued for many years after too.

Did you think getting the half of the electorate who wanted to stay in the UK out to vote was going to change anything, when the conflict/war was about the artificially created majority created by partition in the first place?

Was there anyone that stupid and naive to believe that even at the time?

Did you think getting the half of the electorate who wanted to stay in the UK out to vote was going...?

It was a lot more than half the electorate, as you well know, due to demographics at the time. What % of the population was protestant again back then? And do not forget the Catholics back then, some of whom like now want to stay part of the UK.

• Advertisement

It was a lot more than half the electorate, as you well know, due to demographics at the time. What % of the population was protestant again back then? And do not forget the Catholics back then, some of whom like now want to stay part of the UK.

It was 57% jan in a referendum were claims about wide spread impersonation were made.

If we had constituency breakdowns we would be able to examine those claims, but FOR SOME REASON it was decided not to have constituency breakdowns.

Advertisement