Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Thousands? It's only 20 or so comments in. :):)

Thousands :) janfeb is away on another spree of lies. :)

A figure of speech, how many did you trawl through to find the 20, one of which had the word Eire? I thought you would be delighted the sassanachs were using a cupla focail? If they use our term, maybe we should reciprocate and use their term?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    A figure of speech, how many did you trawl through to find the 20, one of which had the word Eire? I thought you would be delighted the sassanachs were using a cupla focail?

You do know how to use the internet jan? You scroll down. :rolleyes:

You do know how to use the internet jan? You scroll down. :rolleyes:
    Sounds easy. I thought you, with your interest in politics, would have done that to find out the basic details about the Government Minister in your county at some stage over the years. ;)

Sounds easy. I thought you would have done that to find out basic details about Government Minister in your county at some stage over the years.

Well I know you want to believe that I have all the locals demarcated by their religion but I don't.
    And something else janfebmar that I know you haven't acquired the skill, self respect and manners to do yet, as soon as I realised that I said something factually untrue, I admitted it and corrected it.

Well I know you want to believe that I have all the locals demarcated by their religion but I don't.

Not all the locals, just the Government Minister , Heather Humphries, in your constituency.

Quote from post no 3455 in the thread on Irish Reunification yesterday:
    I wouldn't have a clue who would be protestant in our present Government, nor would I care, particularly.

There are plenty of clues you could have picked up on over the years. Her name. The village she is from ( dubbed the only Protestant village in the Republic). The fact she has sometimes talked about being a Protestant. And so on.

• Advertisement

Not all the locals, just the Government Minister , Heather Humphries, in your constituency.

Quote from post no 3455 in the thread on Irish Reunification yesterday:

Yes Jan...and I told you I simply forgot about Heather.
    I am not like some...infallible.

I make mistakes myself sometimes too, but stop diggin' Francie, you will end up in Australia. :)

I make mistakes myself sometimes too, but stop diggin' Francie, you will end up in Australia. :)

As it seems to be important to you (why I don't know in a secular society) how many other protestants have you identified and catholics or muslims ..or no religion?

Have you breakdowns done out?

Stop diggin' Francie.

As someone else said:
    Everyone around here knows Heather Humphreys is a Protestant. Her name is a clue. It is false to say her religion plays no part in Cavan Monaghan. Protestants here vote for her and Fine Gael. Before her they voted for Seymour Crawford. Her father is in the Orange Order, a lot of people don't like that or them here so it wouldn't be on her election leaflets lets say.

Anyway the point is Francie if your a Monaghan man involved in politics or an interest in it you surely know all this. Its not really credible to say you don't know her religion or that it doesn't matter here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The actions of the RUC/British Army are being held to account in various investigations in Northern Ireland. Generally it was Catholics who suffered such injustices. Therefore the families of those who have caused to feel aggrieved and SF have led calls for such investigations. I guess the question is, is whether the IRA/SF will be asked to explain and own up to all it's actions which also caused grevious harm to both the Nationalist community, the RUC/British Army and Loyalist community. Yes I know many IRA people spent time in prison. Yes a lot were pardoned under the GFA but there is still a lot of unexplained injustice caused by their actions.
    Their needs to be a clearing of the decks by all sides. Some form of amnesty from prosecution in return for the unvarnished truth. People have a right to know the truth. The family of Robert Nairac spring to mind. However you view his actions his family had/have a right to bury him. SF search for justice seems to be very one sided. I could take them more seriously if they opened up their own books to the truth.

• Advertisement

Stop diggin' Francie.

As someone else said:

Yes jan and as I said the instant Heather was pointed out as a protestant, I FORGOT about her...it wasn't credible to forget about her. I know this.

Not only can you not apologise for a mistake, you can't evn fecking accept an apology either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Yes jan and as I said the instant Heather was pointed out as a protestant, I FORGOT about her...it wasn't credible to forget about her. I know this.

Not only can you not apologise for a mistake, you can't evn fecking accept an apology either.

In fairness to Francie, I'm from and living in the Cavan Monaghan region, and keep a reasonable eye on local politics, and I wouldn't have been able to name Heather Humphreys as protestant.

Simply because I don't care what church she does or does not attend. And I don't try to deduce their religion from their name.

In fairness to Francie, I'm from and living in the Cavan Monaghan region, and keep a reasonable eye on local politics, and I wouldn't have been able to name Heather Humphreys as protestant.

Simply because I don't care what church she does or does not attend. And I don't try to deduce their religion from their name.

What difference does it make in a secular state anyhow. Does janfebmar want to re-sectarianise our politics?

Absolute nonsense from her again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Rob must've forgot to set his alarm for the late shift of backing Jans nonsense up,

or was he only contaracted by downcow who appears to have gone into hiding out of shame

What difference does it make in a secular state anyhow. .

If it never made any difference, how come the pira murdered that other Fine Gael protestant politician in Co. Monaghan, Billy Fox?

The last few pages are really interesting from the point of view of those who say 'things can never change'.

It is kind of bizarre that somebody (janfebmar) who has been lashing out the claim that republicans are sectarian (and that I and others condoned or supported sectarian killings) is having the head staggers because I forgot that a TD was a Protestant and that I am unconcerned what the make-up of government is, religion wise.

I was thinking about it last night and it really is a sign of how quickly things can change, sometimes without you realising. Even here on the border, it really doesn't matter and there is no reason that it cannot change quickly in northern Ireland.
    But it won't happen as long as you have people like janfebmar keeping track of religions and who is who.
    She really is a dying breed if she is living in the south.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I have researched local tds and councilors before Elections to get an idea of their competence and their effectiveness. I’ve never once tried to find out their religion. It’s never even crossed my mind to. Find it rather bizarre that anyone would know or care to know what faith their local representatives were. That’s rather a strange idea you’d only really see in American politics. Calls me to doubt that certain posters are debating in good faith.

I have researched local tds and councilors before Elections to get an idea of their competence and their effectiveness. I’ve never once tried to find out their religion. It’s never even crossed my mind to. Find it rather bizarre that anyone would know or care to know what faith their local representatives were. That’s rather a strange idea you’d only really see in American politics. Calls me to doubt that certain posters are debating in good faith.

Well, it certainly shows who wants to keep society sectarian anyhow. Those who track the religions of public reps and who think it is important and organisations like the OO. It is toxic and extremely dangerous stuff.

*I see janfebmar wants to drag the conversation back to a brutal killing nearly 40 years ago to try and draw some significance out of this. Sad sad, permanently stuck in the past, stuff.

I see janfebmar wants to drag the conversation back to a brutal killing nearly 40 years ago to try and draw some significance out of this.

It was not a killing, it was a murder. Peoples religion does not matter to me, but It seemingly mattered to those who murdered that day.

Peoples religion does not matter to me,

What??? :D

Across two threads you have been trying to make Heather Humphries religion 'matter' for two days now.

Don't add hypocrisy to your attempt to re-sectarianise Irish politics janfebmar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

gwalk wrote: »
    Rob must've forgot to set his alarm for the late shift of backing Jans nonsense up,

or was he only contaracted by downcow who appears to have gone into hiding out of shame
    Janfebmar doesn't need any help keeping francie and his new sidekick stop moaning on the back foot,which is made easier when the pair of them keep tripping themselves up with their disingenuous clap-trap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yes, basically that is what they are doing, aligning themselves with some lovely Brexiteers in the process.
    Read some of the reactions on this tweet. :):) 'including Éire' :)
    https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1125709245209567232

The absolute, pure, unadulterated ignorance on display here is what caused them to be in the mess they're in now. Similarly, following the Brexit vote one of the most Googled questions was "what is the EU"?.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Janfebmar doesn't need any help keeping francie and his new sidekick stop moaning on the back foot,which is made easier when the pair of them keep tripping themselves up with their disingenuous clap-trap. :)

G'wan and say...'she's wiping the floor with you', Rob.

Reminds me of 'The Germans were sweeping Europe while Baldrick was sweeping the basement'. :):):)

What??? :D

Across two threads you have been trying to make Heather Humphries religion 'matter' for two days now.

No, I am saying you, who has an extraordinary interest in politics, were and are not credible when you claimed you "would not have a clue who is protestant in our present government." It had to be pointed out to you only the well regarded long serving Government Minister in your constinuency...

I am not anti Jewish or anything, but out of general knowledge I would have known who the Jewish politicians were in Ireland over the past few decades. And I respect them. If I had a track record of say 20,000 posts about Jews and Ireland , it would not be credible to say I would not have a clue who any Jewish politicians were, especially if one was minister in my own constituency.

Rob I’d love if you took part rather than taking really rather childish potshots. And its obvious to all who owns the market on claptrap all twelve months of the year, not just the three* in her name :)

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The absolute, pure, unadulterated ignorance on display here is what caused them to be in the mess they're in now. Similarly, following the Brexit vote one of the most Googled questions was "what is the EU"?.

That ignorance always existed. Unionists successfully portrayed Great Britain as a place that 'cared' about them and lived in a myth that they were a part of GB. while in fact they are a part of the more nebulous UK.
    The reality always was, that the real GB knew little about NI and cared even less. Polls now show that Brexiteers are prepared to cut NI lose if it means being 'Brexiters'.
    What has sadly happened is that aided and abetted by a strain of Unionism that cannot back down, nor see the implications of what it is doing, they have elected that ignorance into power, with unknown but fairly predictable consequences.

No, I am saying you, who has an extraordinary interest in politics, were and are not credible when you claimed you "would not have a clue who is protestant in our present government." It had to be pointed out to you only the well regarded long serving Government Minister in your constinuency...

I am not anti Jewish or anything, but out of general knowledge I would have known who the Jewish politicians were in Ireland over the past few decades. And I respect them. If I had a track record of say 20,000 posts about Jews and Ireland , it would not be credible to say I would not have a clue who any Jewish politicians were, especially if one was minister in my own constituency.

I forgot janfebmar...shouldn't that be a cause of rejoicing for somebody pointing the finger ad nauseum at 'sectarian extremist republicans'?

The fact is, that despite you keeping headcounts of the various religions of our public reps, it doesn't matter anymore, even in a border constituency.

The world has moved on janfebmar and we need to work towards a day when you, downcow, Rob etc also forget the religions of public representatives.

Can someone tell me the relevance of knowing what a politicians faith is?

To Francies point, politicians of all stripes in NI feel ignored by Britain. Imagine how ordinary people up there feel

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1166267606732607493?s=21

• Advertisement

Can someone tell me the relevance of knowing what a politicians faith is?

Because (and it is why I suspect janfebmar has a closer relationship with NI than she lets on) in northern Ireland organisations like the OO make it relevant. It is important to keep political representation sectarian.

I was reading a paper on Canada's declining Orange Order and the author gives the reason for it's decline:
    Changes in the
    country have made it difficult for the Order to appeal to new
    members or to wield power and influence. Houston and Smyth note
    that ‘Canada as a nation underwent a fundamental change of
    identity after the catharsis of the First World War and imperial
    sentiment waned as national self-confidence grew’. (p.187) As a
    result, the Order’s monarchical and pro-British stance seemed dated,
    especially when an increasingly heterogeneous immigration policy
    led to the development of a more multicultural civic culture. As
    Canadian political culture modernised, religion became less
    influential in secular matters.
    The development of the Canadian
    welfare state also undermined the Order’s role as a provider of
    sickness and death benefits to members. Thus, the values of an
    organisation founded in eighteenth-century Ireland have become
    increasingly irrelevant in twenty-first century Canada.

People like janfebmar are trying to reverse the bolded bit here.
    A 'secular state' is anathema to them. Survival depends on sectarian conflict or difference, not an end to it.
    And it isn't just 'de taigs' that are the threat, as the Canadian experience shows, it is 'multiculturalism' itself - anything that is seen as capable of diluting their identity.
    Hence the attacks on different immigrant groups in the north and resolutions from the Order that state categorically what they perceive to be a threat to their 'British identity'
    “We reaffirm our opposition to the introduction of any form of legislation for the Irish language. Such a move would have far reaching detrimental consequences for our British identity and would rightly be acknowledged as a landmark victory for republicanism in their ongoing cultural war against our community.”

Advertisement