Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    A U. I. would create a lot more problems than it would solve, and well you know it.
    mattser wrote: »
    Snowflakes chance in hell of it happening anyway.
    Ridiculous.

Handwaving it away isn't going to work if there is a border poll. And a border poll is inevitable if the UK exits with No Deal, and will probably happen within 5 years even if they exit with a deal.

So given that, look at the list I posted and tell me how you see a 'remain' in the UK campaign winning?

The British will have to produce a document (a White Paper I think it will be called) on what the future will hold for NI. If that does not solve business and farming issues created by the UK being out of the EU, then those interests will look at other options. They probably are already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have no doubt many unionists have thought about whether they would be better off in a UI or the UK outside of the EU.

When it comes down to it, your business, livelihood and familys future is most peoples No1 priority, and if some think they would be better of in a UI, then they'll vote for it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have no doubt many unionists have thought about whether they would be better off in a UI or the UK outside of the EU.

When it comes down to it, your business, livelihood and familys future is most peoples No1 priority, and if some think they would be better of in a UI, then they'll vote for it.

The Queen being dragged into this now.

Politics in the UK is in chaotic free fall at the moment, literally anything can happen and it won't be anything that is going to strengthen the bonds of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    This thread needs a distraction. I'm thinking of buying a Royal Enfield motorbike. I'm not being a smartass with the Royal bit.
    Just wondering if there's any bikers on here.

Thanks for the distraction, Mattser - always Japanese bike man myself, mostly rode Hondas, but there are some gorgeous Royal Enfield bikes.

Looking at a Bullet?
    I've got a 1972 Suzuki gt380,I'm trying to rebuild it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

RobMc59 wrote: »

Rob was it you up at lough foyle recently? Some history of the name and the myth around it

https://twitter.com/placenamesni/status/1166636406489452544?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

I liked you better when you were talking about motorbikes, Mattser! Haha

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

This thread needs a distraction. I'm thinking of buying a Royal Enfield motorbike. I'm not being a smartass with the Royal bit.
    Just wondering if there's any bikers on here.

Thanks for the distraction, Mattser - always Japanese bike man myself, mostly rode Hondas, but there are some gorgeous Royal Enfield bikes.

Looking at a Bullet?

I'd say that makes for a nice evening's work, Rob. Always enjoy a nice sunny Saturday, 6 pack of beers and a bike to work on! Used to have a lovely Ducati (in my faster years) that spent as much time in bits in the garage as it did on the road! Great fun on the road, but a heartbreaker for reliability. Only non-Japanese or British bike I've ever owned. By always Japanese, I meant I favoured them, but I've dipped the toe with a few old Triumphs

Down to just an '88 Shadow VT1100 nowadays.

As we seem to have taken a vehicular deflection, here is insecurity about 'identity' in a vehicular context.

If in doubt about 'Britishness', put a 'fleg' on it. :):)

mini-union-jack-tail-lights-now-available-for-pre-facelift-model-126948-7.jpg

As we seem to have taken a vehicular deflection, here is insecurity about 'identity' in a vehicular context.

You can't even do light comedy.
    Sad, really.

You can't even do light comedy.
    Sad, really.

As always with comedy, that depends on how receptive you are mattser. And your receptors just failed the test. ;)

• Advertisement

They are a people that go on holiday to Spain and wear nothing but Union Jack underpants while sitting by the pool sinning their pasty white bellies

I mean...where do you go after that

They are a people that go on holiday to Spain and wear nothing but Union Jack underpants while sitting by the pool sinning their pasty white bellies

I mean...where do you go after that

Grammar school, perhaps.

Grammar school, perhaps.

You are funny after all. Huzzah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Watched documentary last night about the chain of events after the Gibraltar shoot to kill fiasco.

Surprise... republicans came across far more reasonable than loyalists.

"My father and I were jumping for joy" (loyalist scumbag on the Milltown cemetery attack). This guy is actually a former loyalist paramilitary - and there he was, taking the moral high ground about republican atrocities.

Whereas republicans agreed the execution of the British soldiers captured by a mob on Andersonstown Road was appalling.

Ex security forces were mostly reasonable (in a polished way of course) but one former British soldier said he was in a bar with army and RUC personnel just after Milltown, and when footage of Stone attacking was shown on the news, there were shouts of glee and "Pity he didn't get more". Scum.

The one thing I'll say in the loyalist's favour (the guy who was jumping for joy with his dad) was that he acknowledged the nationalist community were unfairly demonised by the scummy tabloid media as though they were all provos, and that the loyalists got a free pass.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Watched documentary last night about the chain of events after the Gibraltar shoot to kill fiasco.

Surprise... republicans came across far more reasonable than loyalists.

"My father and I were jumping for joy" (loyalist scumbag on the Milltown cemetery attack). This guy is actually a former loyalist paramilitary - and there he was, taking the moral high ground about republican atrocities.

Whereas republicans agreed the execution of the British soldiers captured by a mob on Andersonstown Road was appalling.

Ex security forces were mostly reasonable (in a polished way of course) but one former British soldier said he was in a bar with army and RUC personnel just after Milltown, and when footage of Stone attacking was shown on the news, there were shouts of glee and "Pity he didn't get more". Scum.

The one thing I'll say in the loyalist's favour (the guy who was jumping for joy with his dad) was that he acknowledged the nationalist community were unfairly demonised by the scummy tabloid media as though they were all provos, and that the loyalists got a free pass.

That period and chain of events should be compulsory viewing for those who luxuriate in the notion that the GFA was the end of something.

I genuinely thought the north was going to tip into an all out bloodbath at that point. Scary times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Isn't mini owned by BMW?

Isn't mini owned by BMW?

Yes it is Rob. the 'Bavarian Motor Works' I believe. But the wee Mini is still allowed to 'identify' as British as the 'fleg' lights show.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sell many of them round parts of Belfast, Derry or West of the Bann!

I remember people refusing to wear Reebok branded items cos of the Union Flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yes it is Rob. the 'Bavarian Motor Works' I believe. But the wee Mini is still allowed to 'identify' as British as the 'fleg' lights show.

Kinda like the Royal family. Germanic Sax-Gothe-Coburg, but Identify as Windsor and British ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

holyhead wrote: »
    "Your incorrect terminology, referring to Belfast as Britain (which is not the same as the United Kingdom) seems to be the core behind this lack of clarity"

I'm sorry but that is semantics. I looked up the address for the Titanic Experience in Belfast and got the following address

1 Olympic Way, Queen's Road BT3 9EP, United Kingdom

I'm sorry but in common parlance UK is Britain.

At the end of the day people are entitled to believe what they wish too but when it flies in the face of practical reality it is a head scratch!

Great Britain is the largest Island here ie the land mass that makes up England, Scotland and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gwalk wrote: »
    Here in Liverpool I make a point of using Northern Irish sterling I have on me from visits home when throwing in for collections in work for Birthdays, People Leaving etc, because I'm that petty :D

Liverpool is one of the few places that will take Northern money with the amount of people who will be over there for university and football games, never had an issue spending northern money there

Our unionist pals have gone quiet

Not one responded to the video I posted of the DUP member losing her mind screaming at news crews upon the GFA being signed.

Can’t imagine why.

Let’s watch it again shall we? Any comments from rob or Jan or blanch or anyone would be greatly appreciated. Would love to hear you thoughts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I wasn't alive during the troubles but I would imagine I would have had a grin on my face hearing news stories of murdered soldiers or loyalists, I can't imagine any other response, don't get me wrong though I'm sure many IRA members deserved to be blown to bits too but I respect their cause.

I bet The Sun rag wasn't calling unionists the scum of the earth after the shankill butcher saga like what they did after the Casement saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not one responded to the video I posted of the DUP member losing her mind screaming at news crews upon the GFA being signed.

Can’t imagine why.

Let’s watch it again shall we? Any comments from rob or Jan or blanch or anyone would be greatly appreciated. Would love to hear you thoughts.

I know that some posters act as de facto spokespersons for various political parties and political movements, and have to defend every little thing right down to child abuse and murder but I don't. I have no interest in that woman whoever she is. Can't be bothered watching the video.

From what you say it's about some person, somewhere, years ago reacting badly to the GFA, so why should I care or give a damn?

If you want to watch it again in the privacy of your bedroom or whereever, off you go.

Edit: I see you have taken to posting it in some other thread as well, looking for a reaction. Off you go.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I know that some posters act as de facto spokespersons for various political parties and political movements, and have to defend every little thing right down to child abuse and murder but I don't. I have no interest in that woman whoever she is. Can't be bothered watching the video.

From what you say it's about some person, somewhere, years ago reacting badly to the GFA, so why should I care or give a damn?

If you want to watch it again in the privacy of your bedroom or whereever, off you go.

Edit: I see you have taken to posting it in some other thread as well, looking for a reaction. Off you go.

From the way you have diverged away from from FG on Brexit policy, I get the feeling you were not fond of the GFA yourself.

Blanch the self same dup are now hiding behind the GFA claiming the backstop and Dublin are trying to tear up the GFA

They’re coming out as somehow trying to defend a peace agreement they haven’t yet signed up to

You don’t see the hypocrisy there?

Pls I’ll post where I like. You a Mod now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I wasn't alive during the troubles but I would imagine I would have had a grin on my face hearing news stories of murdered soldiers or loyalists, I can't imagine any other response, don't get me wrong though I'm sure many IRA members deserved to be blown to bits too but I respect their cause.

I bet The Sun rag wasn't calling unionists the scum of the earth after the shankill butcher saga like what they did after the Casement saga.
    I would never lower myself to their level by celebrating loyalist deaths. It's not good that anyone was murdered. Plus it hardened their resolve.

But you're absolutely right about the Scum. There was an extraordinary level of ignorance, that the conflict was entirely republican made. And here was no exception for that ignorance.

This was and still is the DUP position.

Your pals screaming about Sean Russell and nazis in the 1930s as an argument against all things Irish and we’re all somehow complicit in an act 90 years ago, seem to have melted away as they often do when they haven’t an argument or answer when challenged with evidence.

Not even one of them responded. It tells it’s own story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Can’t imagine why.

The video shows one person against the GFA, big deal, so what? You do not know what has gone on in her life -she could have lost her nearest and dearest, and the GFA would mean anyone convicted and jailed for the murder would be released?

Advertisement