Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

You’re entire presence on boards is to denegrate all things Irish jan. You often have regular pops at Catholicism too let’s be fair.

Rubbish, I do not denigrate all things Irish, there is a lot to be proud of that is Irish. Just because I have respect for the 100,000 Irish men who fought the Nazis in WW2 does not mean I denigrate all things Irish, it is you who denigrates them. And I do not have regular pops at Catholicism either, it was the abusers in the Church and those who covered it up who I was having a pop at.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

janfebmar wrote: »
    Rubbish, I do not denigrate all things Irish, there is a lot to be proud of that is Irish. Just because I have respect for the 100,000 Irish men who fought the Nazis in WW2 does not mean I denigrate all things Irish, it is you who denigrates them. And I do not have regular pops at Catholicism either, it was the abusers in the Church and those who covered it up who I was having a pop at.

Actually J by your own logic you denigrate them by voting for nationalist parties and expressing disgust at unionist voting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

janfebmar wrote: »

Well we can agree on something. I’d go further and say they’re church as a whole should be held responsible and those in government at the time that allowed them to and didn’t take them to task. They still have paid out the reparations owed to victims of abuse here. Why might that be you’d wonder.
    I never denigrated anyone who joined up to fight the nazis? Can you sow me where I said that? My own father just recently retired from the army and I know well what it’s like to have your father gone for long periods to war torn countries to keep peace and the fear they might never come back. He did many tours and came back safe from each one thankfully. Have massive respect for anyone who serves. Even if it’s for the wrong reasons of you look at American invasive adventures overseas and the massive losses of their own soldiers lives as a result. Same as with German soldiers on World War Two. How many of them truly knew what hey were signing up to?
    You’d wonder.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Actually J by your own logic you denigrate them by voting for nationalist parties and expressing disgust at unionist voting.

I do not know what you are talking about. I have not really expressed disgust at Unionist voting, I believe in the democratic process and they can vote for who they want. Seldom if ever in my long lifetime have I seen them voting for a paramilitary eg UDA or UVF, certainly not in any numbers.

I have sometimes voted for one of the mainstream parties down here because what choice is there? There is also a lot more to politics than the national question, so if you want to vote you can always vote for the "least green" party if you want to. I mostly vote for reasons to do with the economy anyway. "It's the economy stupid. "
    Sometimes I have voted for someone that I knew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

gwalk wrote: »

Doesn't really surprise me. We had members of the unionist community of here defending the presence of serial killers in their lodges. It wouldn't surprise me that they wouldn't protect their members at the expense of the public.

Looking forward to the lodges in question playing victim in response to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Doesn't really surprise me. We had members of the unionist community of here defending the presence of serial killers in their lodges. It wouldn't surprise me that they wouldn't protect their members at the expense of the public.

Same here, no surprise. Every organisation in the country handled things like this badly but anyone would think listening to some that it was perpetrated and encouraged by one organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Eddy,not sure if you remember the border thread a while back,regular republican posters here were hero worshipping a convicted ira murderer(thomas81 as I remember)so I'd take their attempts to pontificate from the high moral ground with a massive pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Eddy,not sure if you remember the border thread a while back,regular republican posters here were hero worshipping a convicted ira murderer(thomas81 as I remember)so I'd take their attempts to pontificate from the high moral ground with a massive pinch of salt.

Who is this convicted person?

His boards name was thomas81 as I recall

• Advertisement

Not the guy who was praising, the guy being praised......

Odhinn wrote: »

Not the guy who was praising, the guy being praised......
    His boards name was thomas81,he claimed he was a hunger striker,he stopped posting when told not by mods.

His boards name was thomas81,he claimed he was a hunger striker,he stopped posting when told not by mods.

Sorry, I thought that an actual combatant was being referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

When the abuse stuff about the Provos came out I was surprised it was so few cases seeing as how dysfunctional society in the north was and how many people were involved with the paramilitaries.

I was expecting a flood of people coming forward with revelations about all abuse perpetrated by all the protagonists in the north but it seems to be remarkably few.

When the abuse stuff about the Provos came out I was surprised it was so few cases seeing as how dysfunctional society in the north was and how many people were involved with the paramilitaries.

I was expecting a flood of people coming forward with revelations about all abuse perpetrated by all the protagonists in the north but it seems to be remarkably few.

This abuse story in Fermanagh has been bubbling for quite a while now. Seems the lid is about to come off the whole story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

armaghlad wrote: »
    I know I will never get an answer, but why is it that the unionist love-in for the killers at Bloody Sunday is somehow excused or justified by what the IRA has done? Why does this mentality exist? It wasn’t 14 SF or IRA members murdered. In fact some of the victims’ relatives actually despise SF. Why does this mentality exist?

Maybe this will help many on here to reconsider their condemnation of those in the unionist community who are standing with soldier f in their belief that his hounding is unjust.
    This is a mother of a BS victim confirming that most families have no desire to see him singeled out.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newsletter.co.uk/news/crime/soldier-f-veterans-group-welcomes-no-jail-call-by-bloody-sunday-sister-1-9051520/amp
    So citytillidie etc, it seems I might be more in touch than some of you locals.

I admire their gesture. This will have a significant effect in the unionist community. Indeed I would go so far as to say it would be a lovely follow up gesture for the soldier f banners to come down in response to this gesture from the families.
    Her statement has transformed my opinion of BS families. Now if BS Trust, RFJ, Finucan, etc would get off there backs and stop the political points scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    armaghlad wrote: »
    I know I will never get an answer, but why is it that the unionist love-in for the killers at Bloody Sunday is somehow excused or justified by what the IRA has done? Why does this mentality exist? It wasn’t 14 SF or IRA members murdered. In fact some of the victims’ relatives actually despise SF. Why does this mentality exist?

Maybe this will help many on here to reconsider their condemnation of those in the unionist community who are standing with soldier f in their belief that his hounding is unjust.
    This is a mother of a BS victim confirming that most families have no desire to see him singeled out.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newsletter.co.uk/news/crime/soldier-f-veterans-group-welcomes-no-jail-call-by-bloody-sunday-sister-1-9051520/amp

I admire their gesture. This will have a significant effect in the unionist community. Indeed I would go so far as to say it would be a lovely follow up gesture for the soldier f banners to come down in response to this gesture from the families.
    Her statement has transformed my opinion of BS families. Now if BS Trust, RFJ, Finucan, etc would get off there backs and stop the political points scoring

It doesn't in any way change my opinion on Soldier F. The man, like any other suspected of murder, should not just get to walk into the sunset without consequences.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    It doesn't in any way change my opinion on Soldier F. The man, like any other suspected of murder, should not just get to walk into the sunset without consequences.

Do you also think these 3,000 guns should also be dna tested. That may result in many empty sf seats in councils etc around the country?

It is nobody's fault but the British and those who supported the whitewash that one particularly vicious and afaics unrepentant soldier is in the dock.

Her statement has transformed my opinion of BS families.

What was your opinion of them before this? Uppity Fenians?
    Now if BS Trust, RFJ, Finucan, etc would get off there backs and stop the political points scoring

Whenever we march over country and town
    In ditches and cellars the croppies lie down.
    Down, down, croppies lie down.

Even when you think you're being magnanimous you're making an utter show of your resentfulness when it comes to British justice being applied to British Army killers. You're utterly irredeemable.

• Advertisement

It is nobody's fault but the British and those who supported the whitewash that one particularly vicious and afaics unrepentant soldier is in the dock.

I am really touched by the attitude of those who really suffered. Contrast that to the the political points scoring of the ‘victims’ on here

What was your opinion of them before this? Uppity Fenians?

Whenever we march over country and town
    In ditches and cellars the croppies lie down.
    Down, down, croppies lie down.

Even when you think you're being magnanimous you're making an utter show of your resentfulness when it comes to British justice being applied to British Army killers. You're utterly irredeemable.

That mothers words have got kindness and hope written all over them.
    Your words have got bitterness and no hope written all over them.
    You would benefit from a cup of coffee with that mother.

I am really touched by the attitude of those who really suffered. Contrast that to the the political points scoring of the ‘victims’ on here

What political 'point scoring'?

Do you not think that the British whitewashed and ran away from responsibility for what happened in Derry that day?

These families still want him tried for what happened that day btw. Even though what he did was obscene, they realise, like everyone else does, that he is a sacrifice to token British Justice.

The fact that they are humane people is not lost on you, which is one small mercy I suppose.

That mothers words have got kindness and hope written all over them.
    Your words have got bitterness and no hope written all over them.
    You would benefit from a cup of coffee with that mother.

You're completely consumed by resent and bitterness when justice is being applied to killers from 'your side' and it's plain for everyone to see. You couldn't just accept the graciousness of one of the Bloody Sunday families, no, it had to be followed up by everyone else who suffered at the hands of the British state's killers following suit.

As I said, you're utterly irredeemable.

What political 'point scoring'?

Do you not think that the British whitewashed and ran away from responsibility for what happened in Derry that day?

These families still want him tried for what happened that day btw. Even though what he did was obscene, they realise, like everyone else does, that he is a sacrifice to token British Justice.

The fact that they are humane people is not lost on you, which is one small mercy I suppose.

I completely recognise the humanity in her motives of her not wishing soldier f is singled out and hounded. Question is do you recognise the humanity in the motives of those unionists who feel exactly the same about him?

You're completely consumed by resent and bitterness being applied to 'your side' and it's plain for everyone to see. You couldn't just accept the graciousness of one of the Bloody Sunday families, no, it had to be followed up by everyone else who suffered at the hands of the British state's killers following suit.
    e.

What are you saying. I have no idea

I completely recognise the humanity in her motives of her not wishing soldier f is singled out and hounded.

You are stretching her humane remarks here to mean she does not want him tried. That is wrong. She very clearly says that she doesn't need or particularly want him to go to jail 'if found guilty'.
    Question is do you recognise the humanity in the motives of those unionists who feel exactly the same about him?

No, to be strenuously frank, the Unionist comment and agitating I see wants these soldiers exonerated, they don't care about a single soldier, they CARE about holding a soldier and his masters responsible, because of what that means - it's an utter failure to accept responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Do you also think these 3,000 guns should also be dna tested. That may result in many empty sf seats in councils etc around the country?

I think anyone suspected of murder should face legal proceedings. End of story, no grey area, no, 'oh buts', no exceptions.

Interesting question. The PSNI has 3000 guns captured during the troubles - should they not be tested with modern DNA equipment or would any killers implicated walk free again?

• Advertisement

I think anyone suspected of murder should face legal proceedings. End of story, no grey area, no, 'oh buts', no exceptions.

And do you think the 200 who got the secret amnesty letters should also face legal proceedings if any are suspected of murder?

Advertisement