Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

NIMAN wrote: »
    Derry City v Sligo.

Sure its a 6 pointer, but I'd hardly call it the biggest sporting event of the weekend.;)

Bigger derby than Harps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    Maybe you want the contract to change the signs on and in, and all the documentation in, the new Childrens hospital, just to confuse everyone and f*** up the costs even more.

7 billion though? Who would cash the cheque?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stop digging Jan...always a good start. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Nothing to do with the fact that Protestants only numbered 6-7% of the population then?

More to do with the fact that all those decades ago Dev endorsed job discrimination against protestants. Remember all that controversy when a protestant got a job a a librarian in Mayo? Not good enough, she may have given out books to corrupt good catholic minds.

Loyalist flute band concert in Portrush on Saturday night, should not have anything like that on keep all that nonsense out of sport

This Saturday coming?

More to do with the fact that all those decades ago Dev endorsed job discrimination against protestants. Remember all that controversy when a protestant got a job a a librarian in Mayo? Not good enough, she may have given out books to corrupt good catholic minds.

6-7% of the population Jan.

Would that account for the disparity you sensationally drew attention to? Hmmm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Jan,the finest Irish boxer ever-Barry Mcguigan was threatened and hounded out of Ireland (Monaghan to be exact)by IRA thugs and his "crime "was he tried to promote peace-I'm not suggesting any posters here have that outlook but it sadly appears to be very popular with a lot of Republican extremists.
    I didnt realise that happened, i would also be interested in reading more about that,could you point me to some links please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

6-7% of the population Jan.
    And less than 1% of public sector jobs. However that was a long time ago, thankfully Ireland has changed hugely since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Guesstimate explained earlier, based partly on the Irish Times figure of the past cost of translating EU documents in to Irish of £42 per page.

Thats insufficent information to make an estimate, so essentially you just made up a figure.

I didnt realise that happened, i would also be interested in reading more about that,could you point me to some links please?

janfebmar should be able to help you out as well, she called it 'historical truth'.

janfebmar wrote:
    All you are doing there lawred2 is making a personal attack on someone who dares speak the historical truth. You cannot dispute the truth so you say they are "living in the past".

And less than 1% of public sector jobs. However that was a long time ago, thankfully Ireland has changed hugely since then.

Glad to see you have put down the shovel on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Guesstimate explained earlier, based partly on the Irish Times figure of the past cost of translating EU documents in to Irish of £42 per page.

Oh, right, your estimate is based on there being just over 166 million pages that need to be translated. It all makes sence now. :D:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Jan

Irish is an official language of an Eu member state.
    The other 27 countries also translate all Eu legislation into their languages.
    Are you aware of that?
    What’s your point here?

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Oh, right, your estimate is based on there being just over 166 million pages that need to be translated. It all makes sence now. :D:rolleyes:

I think her 'estimate' was based on making it a more than 3 times the estimate the most belligerent Unionist could make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Maybe you want the contract to change the signs on and in, and all the documentation in, the new Childrens hospital, just to confuse everyone and f*** up the costs even more.

How do you change the signs in a hospital that has not been built yet Jan? Hopefully the people responsible for building the Childrens Hospital will be responsible enough to ensure that all signage complies with the Oficial Languages Act in the first place and as such will not need to be replaced, so that we can have bilingual signage at no extra cost.

Speaker for the House of Commons John Bercow made a clear statement on the ongoing LGBT-inclusive lessons debate, saying: “You can’t appease bigots and homophobes.”

Wow. Rather pointed and said during session.
    I can’t imagine who his intended audience might be haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Down as far as them getting knickers in a knot about a different language on a few road signs, up as far as actively denying LGBT people equality and denying women their right to bodily autonom. Catholic and Protestants from both are affected though both to be fair

I shouldn't react to you patronising nonsense.

I could ask you why nationalists get their knickers in a not about fires in unionist areas and how they suddenly have such concern for the H&S of protestants.

The vast majority of unionists support equal marriage etc.

The abortion is is more complex and has many in each community wrestling in their own minds about it. The people who p*ss me off in the aborthion debate are those who imply on either side that it is a simple B&W issue and they are correct

downcow wrote: »

I could ask you why nationalists get their knickers in a not about fires in unionist areas and how they suddenly have such concern for the H&S of protestants.

Because they are racist and bigoted displays of Unionist suprematism that draws little to no criticism from Unionist leaders.

Irish on a road sign is not in the slightest way remotely the same thing.

The abortion is is more complex and has many in each community wrestling in their own minds about it. The people who p*ss me off in the aborthion debate are those who imply on either side that it is a simple B&W issue and they are correct

Wasn’t patronising anyone DC.

You know why nationalists get upset about bonfires. Maybe check the thread we’re in and read it again?

Your abortion comment doesn’t make any sense tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

so much wrong with this post.

"why nationalists get their knickers in a not about fires in unionist areas" - I think its the bigotry, the KAT and various other flags and the general hatred people dont like. Plus make bonfires in unionist areas - not on public property leisure centre carparks

"The people who p*ss me off in the aborthion debate are those who imply on either side that it is a simple B&W issue and they are correct" - they piss you off yet they are, as you say, correct? Nothing is a B&W issue .. life is complicated

It’s truly depressing to see the Queen’s English so horribly abused and so often.

You could also see it as kind of Joycean though. In a way.

• Advertisement

Loyalist flute band concert in Portrush on Saturday night, should not have anything like that on keep all that nonsense out of sport

Excellent. They will all see amazing ulster scots culture on display. This is where the mask slips. If these events were as you describe then you would be pleased that the visitors will see disgraceful misbehaviour, but you actually know they are going to witness something that will really impress them.

Would you be saying the same if there was a fleadh in town for the golfers to witness

More spin from the usual suspects as you will evidence from this link that it is the Saturday after the 13th of July every year
    http://www.bandparades.co.uk/event/sons-of-ulster-16

I am sure they'll all love the spectacle Here's a wee clip from last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jMvw_M_0Ko

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dytalus wrote: »
    ... They cannot be aimed at the head (in the UK at any rate) because at anything but the lowest power serious injury can occur. ...

They are not even allowed to be used in England, Scotland or Wales without prior, express permission from the respective parliaments. In fact, I don't think England, Scotland or Wales even possess any water cannon.

Excellent. They will all see amazing ulster scots culture on display. This is where the mask slips. If these events were as you describe then you would be pleased that the visitors will see disgraceful misbehaviour, but you actually know they are going to witness something that will really impress them.

Would you be saying the same if there was a fleadh in town for the golfers to witness

More spin from the usual suspects as you will evidence from this link that it is the Saturday after the 13th of July every year
    http://www.bandparades.co.uk/event/sons-of-ulster-16

I am sure they'll all love the spectacle Here's a wee clip from last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jMvw_M_0Ko

So youd welcome the Wolfe tones playing a halftime set at linfield?

Thats very progressive of you DC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

El Weirdo wrote: »
    They are not even allowed to be used in England, Scotland or Wales without prior, express permission from the respective parliaments. In fact, I don't think England, Scotland or Wales even possess any water cannon.
    Boris bought 1 or more for London but had no legal right to use it .

When the new mayor came in , he scrapped it as a publicity stunt .

It cost a lot of money but got fook all for scrap .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Jan,the finest Irish boxer ever-Barry Mcguigan was threatened and hounded out of Ireland (Monaghan to be exact)by IRA thugs and his "crime "was he tried to promote peace-I'm not suggesting any posters here have that outlook but it sadly appears to be very popular with a lot of Republican extremists.

He was 'hounded out of Ireland and Monaghan to be exact' because 'he tried to promote peace'?

Have you a link to that?

And you need to be on your toes here, at around 11 or 12 years of age I sparred with Barry and hung around with him, here in the street where we both grew up and know his seed, breed and generation. (I was Ireland's finest boxer by the way, until that day I hurt my big toe and had to retire prematurely ;) )

The Barry I know, was heavily criticised for declaring for Britain (Northern Ireland) in order to take part in the Commonwealth Games.
    It died down completely when it was clear that it was a career decision and nothing political. What I admire about McGuigan was that he never addressed the conflict or tried to 'promote peace' vocally, he just got on with the fight and people made their own minds up when they saw both communities supporting him.
    The flag with the white dove that he fought under, ONLY appeared for his title fight and I know the origins of that too.

So, if you cannot back up your 'hounded out of Monaghan and Ireland' claim, could you kindly withdraw it? Far too many lies and sensationalising going on in this thread.
    I read his autobiography a few years back in which he mentioned the ira threatening him,I had the chance to watch him fight in London back in the 80s and still regret not going to this day.
    You knowing him is interesting and you are lucky to have sparred with him,he is a true boxing legend imo!
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irish-boxing-legend-barry-mcguigan-carried-a-gun-due-to-threat-of-ira-123091558-237391401

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

El Weirdo wrote: »

They do not, no. The only water cannons in the UK are owned by the PSNI. I believe there was some talk of them being brought in to quell potential riots post-Brexit, but I'd wager that was a purely hypothetical solution from HMG and nothing that got any traction. Certainly not aware of any attempts to acquire any anyway.

So youd welcome the Wolfe tones playing a halftime set at linfield?

Thats very progressive of you DC

A strange comparison. But if there was an annual Fleadh in Portrush this Saturday night i would not expect it to be cancelled because the golf was in town, rather i would expect the golfing fraternity to go out and enjoy the culture and engage

What is your problem with it exactly??

A strange comparison. But if there was an annual Fleadh in Portrush this Saturday night i would not expect it to be cancelled because the golf was in town, rather i would expect the golfing fraternity to go out and enjoy the culture and engage

What is your problem with it exactly??

I don’t have any. Chap posting above mentioned it would be a sporting event hijacked. It is rather inflammatory

I don’t have any. Chap posting above mentioned it would be a sporting event hijacked. It is rather inflammatory

Is it because the golfers are wealthy that he has flipped it around. The annual event is the parade so if anyone is doing the hijacking then its the golfers

• Advertisement

I read his autobiography a few years back in which he mentioned the ira threatening him,I had the chance to watch him fight in London back in the 80s and still regret not going to this day.
    You knowing him is interesting and you are lucky to have sparred with him,he is a true boxing legend imo!
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irish-boxing-legend-barry-mcguigan-carried-a-gun-due-to-threat-of-ira-123091558-237391401

Be man enough to withdraw the statement: 'He was hounded out of Monaghan and Ireland' please.
    He wasn't.

Nor is there a single mention of the IRA in that article. Many many people where schooled in protection during the conflict/war and saw themselves as victims of potential kidnappings. No surprise or revelation there.

And yes, it does feel a bit odd to be cherishing the fact that I took a battering from a much smaller man! ;)

Advertisement