Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Rob I know you’re not native but I’d avoid Irish Central as a ‘news’ source.
    It’s an agenda driven outlet for Irish Americans who mostly have never been here and
    They regularly peddle bullsh!t like the Irish were slaves etc.

Not a reliable outlet whatsoever.
    Good recipes occasionally and a john hinde postcard image of Ireland for 3rd and 4th generation Americans who think they’re irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

It’s an agenda driven outlet for Irish Americans who mostly have never been here and

Good recipes occasionally and a john hinde postcard image of Ireland for 3rd and 4th generation Americans who think they’re irish.
    I'm surprised you didn't have a look yourself but here's another link,he did say it himself in his autobiography
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/barry-mcguigan-the-police-gave-me-a-gun-131630

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

downcow wrote:
    Is it because the golfers are wealthy that he has flipped it around. The annual event is the parade so if anyone is doing the hijacking then its the golfers

I wouldn't see an issue with it really, it's a massive deal to have the open hosted there. Something that would be totally impossible to host during the troubles.

If it's a band that plays every year there anyway as you say I don't see an issue. There are plenty of NI golfers that identify as British so it's huge for them to have the open held in the North. I never did like the idea of mixing anything political with sports but as I type it's great to see an Irish man still in the lead!

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you didn't have a look yourself but here's another link,he did say it himself in his autobiography
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/barry-mcguigan-the-police-gave-me-a-gun-131630

I’m not doubting he said it.
    I’d read that site with a huge level of caution is all I’m saying.

Ps he wasn’t ‘run out of Ireland.’

He was a national hero here. Same time as Dennis ______ the snooker player. Can’t recall his surname.
    Dammit old age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I’m not doubting he said it.
    I’d read that site with a huge level of caution is all I’m saying.

Ps he wasn’t ‘run out of Ireland.’

He was a national hero here. Same time as Dennis ______ the snooker player. Can’t recall his surname.
    Dammit old age
    Dennis Taylor who incidentally Alex Higgins threatened to get the UVF to sort out.

• Advertisement

Dennis Taylor who incidentally Alex Higgins threatened to get the UVF to sort out.

That’s him.

Did he??? Mad :)
    Used to watch the snooker with me granny. She loved Dennis.
    Even at 5 or 6 I’d laugh at Higgins and could tell he was locked and still played well somehow

They'll be the ones who funded the ira via noraid I imagine.

Here's a link to noraid if anyones interested.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NORAID

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The article does not say 'He was hounded out of Monaghan and Ireland' Rob. And nowhere in that article does McGuigan say he was threatened by the IRA either.
    It is the Mirror journalist that says 'it was republican terrorists that put a price on his head'. Here is what McGuigan ACTUALLY says:
    “I was told there was a plot to kidnap me,” recalls the boxing legend. “Security forces on both sides of the border were keeping an eye on me.

“It came at a time when people were disappearing and not long after the kidnapping of the racehorse Shergar.

i.e. 'He was told'...he does not mention any direct contact with any group.

Learn how to read how journalists/hacks slant stories Rob.

You’re being a bit controversial there but yeah pretty much. It was more the high level posh Irish Americans did that though.

Unionists/loyalist paramilitaries had the considerable finances of the British government though. Let’s not forget that.

Ira just were rather more effective with the money is the only difference.

• Advertisement

The article does not say 'He was hounded out of Monaghan and Ireland' Rob. And nowhere in that article does McGuigan say he was threatened by the IRA either.
    It is the Mirror journalist that says 'it was republican terrorists that put a price on his head'. Here is what McGuigan ACTUALLY says:
    “I was told there was a plot to kidnap me,” recalls the boxing legend. “Security forces on both sides of the border were keeping an eye on me.

“It came at a time when people were disappearing and not long after the kidnapping of the racehorse Shergar.

i.e. 'He was told'...he does not mention any direct contact with any group.

Learn how to read how journalists/hacks slant stories Rob.
    Ok francie,its all in the wild imagination of a reporter,yeah right:)

You’re being a bit controversial there but yeah pretty much. It was more the high level posh Irish Americans did that though.

Unionists/loyalist paramilitaries had the considerable finances of the British government though. Let’s not forget that.

Ira just were rather more effective with the money is the only difference.
    Yes,they used it to buy drugs.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/dec/09/northernireland.colombia

Ok francie,its all in the wild imagination of a reporter,yeah right:)

McGuigan was 'told' there was a plot to kidnap him. Many others were too and were actually kidnapped.
    That is what McGuigan says. He wasn't directly contacted/threatened by any group.

Speaking of wild imaginations, are you going to withdraw the 'hounded out of Monaghan and Ireland' or do we put you down as another sensationalist fantasist?

I don’t get your point here? They’ve always been anti drugs but have no problem benefitting money from it.
    It’s fact that they trained FARQ also. And the Brits and CIA both said they were the most effective terrorist organisation in the world. Was that your point?

That’ll all kick off again the minute you put a border up. Jus sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

downcow wrote: »
    Excellent. They will all see amazing ulster scots culture on display. This is where the mask slips. If these events were as you describe then you would be pleased that the visitors will see disgraceful misbehaviour, but you actually know they are going to witness something that will really impress them.

Would you be saying the same if there was a fleadh in town for the golfers to witness

More spin from the usual suspects as you will evidence from this link that it is the Saturday after the 13th of July every year
    http://www.bandparades.co.uk/event/sons-of-ulster-16

I am sure they'll all love the spectacle Here's a wee clip from last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jMvw_M_0Ko

I would have said the same for any rebel band concert. Keep it all out of sport

We not keep it then to the 13th why the need for an extra one

http://www.bandparades.co.uk/event/sons-of-ulster-20/

The organisers of the parade say with some pride that it was 'A decision that took months of talks to come to...'

I think we can read between the lines what those talks were like. :o

I read his autobiography a few years back in which he mentioned the ira threatening him,I had the chance to watch him fight in London back in the 80s and still regret not going to this day.
    You knowing him is interesting and you are lucky to have sparred with him,he is a true boxing legend imo!
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irish-boxing-legend-barry-mcguigan-carried-a-gun-due-to-threat-of-ira-123091558-237391401

Be man enough to withdraw the statement: 'He was hounded out of Monaghan and Ireland' please.
    He wasn't.

Nor is there a single mention of the IRA in that article. Many many people where schooled in protection during the conflict/war and saw themselves as victims of potential kidnappings. No surprise or revelation there.

And yes, it does feel a bit odd to be cherishing the fact that I took a battering from a much smaller man! ;)
    If I believe I'm wrong about something I would own up to it or apologise if I wrongly accused someone of something they didn't do-as well you know francie so don't insult me by saying I'm making it up..And as far as being man enough I could do a bit of bobbing and weaving myself back in the day!:)

Still waiting on an answer to this jan? Even though ‘you never said it’ when you clearly did

485579.png

If I believe I'm wrong about something I would own up to it or apologise if I wrongly accused someone of something they didn't do-as well you know francie so don't insult me by saying I'm making it up..And as far as being man enough I could do a bit of bobbing and weaving myself back in the day!:)

So you present no back up for 'he was hounded out of Monaghan and Ireland' and you say you are not making it up?

This is as much as McGuigan says:

Nothing more, not a single mention of a direct threat from anybody.

Yet you and janfebmar say that he was hounded out of his home county and the country is 'historical truth??? How do you expect to be taken seriously?

Two dangerous and insidious sensationalists. A disgrace to the idea of honest debate the pair of you tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

We not keep it then to the 13th why the need for an extra one

http://www.bandparades.co.uk/event/sons-of-ulster-20/

If you are consistent then i can't complain, but i can still disagree.
    If there had been a fleadh organised for portrush and the golfers decided to come then i think the fleadh should go ahead. I don't agree with you that the town should be sanitised of culture because the golf is there.

• Advertisement

If there had been a fleadh organised for portrush and the golfers decided to come then i think the fleadh should go ahead. I don't agree with you that the town should be sanitised of culture because the golf is there.

If it took 'months of talks' to resolve there were obviously difficulties.

Even the RC church will cancel masses here if they clash and cause logistical difficulties with GAA football matches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

In fairness goody two shoes Taylor was a bit / lot annoying. I’ sure Alex was only joshing;)

Sanitised of culture

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

a fleadh?

:confused:

If it took 'months of talks' to resolve there were obviously difficulties.

Even the RC church will cancel masses here if they clash and cause logistical difficulties with GAA football matches.

where are you reading about months of talks?

lawred2 wrote: »
    a fleadh?

:confused:

??

edit* I have just checked the spelling and seems to be correct so i don't understand your confusion?

??

edit* I have just checked the spelling and seems to be correct so i don't understand your confusion?

Can you pronounce it though. That’s the question.

Or would you even let such an Irish word come out of your mouth :)

Important questions DC!!

In only buzzing with ye

where are you reading about months of talks?

Their own Facebook page:
    This is a decision that has taken us several months to come to, as there were many factors to take into consideration.

https://www.facebook.com/PortrushSonsOfUlsterFluteBand/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

??

I was going to ask what has a Fleadh got to do with Rebel songs? But then I see those dinosaurs Wolfe Tones sold out two gigs for Fleadh Cheoil 2019.

To be honest any Fleadh I've ever been to - it wasn't for that sh!te. Hard to believe people still pay to listen to that rabble rousing crap.

I'd have had them pulled from Portush on poor taste grounds were they set to play. I'd have them pulled from everywhere on poor taste grounds.

• Advertisement

So you present no back up for 'he was hounded out of Monaghan and Ireland' and you say you are not making it up?

This is as much as McGuigan says:

Nothing more, not a single mention of a direct threat from anybody.

Yet you and janfebmar say that he was hounded out of his home county and the country is 'historical truth??? How do you expect to be taken seriously?

Two dangerous and insidious sensationalists. A disgrace to the idea of honest debate the pair of you tbh.
    You obviously haven't read his book so stop now as you've embarrassing yourself-not my fault jan consistently wipes the floor with you.

Advertisement