Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    downcow wrote: »
    Do you go out of your way to misspell every Republican's name you come across?

Perhaps I'm spotting a trend that doesn't exist, or it's genuine oversight on your part, but you regularly misspell simple names from the Nationalist side while easily managing to correctly spell more complex names from the Unionist side.

If it's intentional, would you terribly mind dropping it, because it detracts from a pretty reasonable point.

I can assure you I don’t. Simply don’t see the point in going away and googling the correct spelling.
    You need to relax on that point. I could get on my high horse about people calling my flag the Union Jack but I don’t think most do it on purpose so I relax about it.
    You can get chill pills for that condition

It's quite common parlance to refer to the union flag as a union jack, so much so that I'd vouch more people refer to it as such.

Not asking you to go off and Google its just not go out if your way to spell incorrectly. For example, your continued misspelling of McGuinness, despite repeatedly being corrected on it by multiple posters.....including when replying to posts which include the correct spelling. You don't need to Google anything, just read the post you're actually replying to.

It's petty and costs you nothing to address.
    If you do actually Google it there are many different ways to spell that particular name-your own boards name has different spellings as may your surname if it is Irish or Scottish.

When referring to a specific person, there is one way to spell a name correctly. If you Google the man in question, you will only find one spelling. If you look at any reference to him in any reputable print, there is only one spelling.

My own surname has multiple spelling variations, but if you were to use one of them while referring to me, you would've spelled my name incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

When it has been pointed out a number of times that you are spelling 'McGuinness 'wrong, and you still do it. You know exactly what the school yardish intent is.

I might duck and dive as most do on here and emphasise a few facts over others and I might mistakenly get facts wrong from time to time. But what I am always is honest
    I am not intentionally mispelling any words and when I think it’s sensitive I go and google the spelling eg when I used fleadh and I referred to the IL group as CnG as I wouldn’t have a clue.

It is though interesting that you think I am doing this to annoy you. This is what is happening around much of the 12th celebrations. People are just out enjoying themselves with no thought of nationalists etc but nationalist often think things are being done to annoy them. ‘Controversial’ band parades are w classic. Those attending just want to parade and have no interest in annoying anyone. Indeed it’s flipped because marchers think residents gather simply to annoy the marchers.
    Complex isn’t it. I think the key word is trust

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    That the Poppy represents not only the British soldiers who died at the Somme, but also the British soldiers who shot dead Pearce and Connolly is good enough reason for me not to wear it. That the money raised goes support to former British soldiers is another. Why would I as an Irish person want to raise money to support the soldiers of another nations army? That is before you consider the role some of them palyed in murdering my fellow citizens.
    Absolutely. I wouldn’t expect you to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Fionn1952 that is a fair point about names.If you don't mind me asking,what made you think of your boards name?

When referring to a specific person, there is one way to spell a name correctly. If you Google the man in question, you will only find one spelling. If you look at any reference to him in any reputable print, there is only one spelling.

My own surname has multiple spelling variations, but if you were to use one of them while referring to me, you would've spelled my name incorrectly.

With respect. If you think I am going to search google to ensure I don’t spell a mans name wrong, a man who caused endless death and torture to my community, then you are mistaken. If it helps I’ll refer to him as the Fisherman from here on as it’s easy spelt and everyone will know who I’m talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I might duck and dive as most do on here and emphasise a few facts over others and I might mistakenly get facts wrong from time to time. But what I am always is honest
    I am not intentionally mispelling any words and when I think it’s sensitive I go and google the spelling eg when I used fleadh and I referred to the IL group as CnG as I wouldn’t have a clue.

It is though interesting that you think I am doing this to annoy you. This is what is happening around much of the 12th celebrations. People are just out enjoying themselves with no thought of nationalists etc but nationalist often think things are being done to annoy them. ‘Controversial’ band parades are w classic. Those attending just want to parade and have no interest in annoying anyone. Indeed it’s flipped because marchers think residents gather simply to annoy the marchers.
    Complex isn’t it. I think the key word is trust

It doesn't 'annoy' me, it makes me feel pity for you actually.

You have never answered the question: 'Why can't the OO accept that there are places where they are not wanted and a multitude of places where they are....that nobody has an objection to?

With respect. If you think I am going to search google to ensure I don’t spell a mans name wrong, a man who caused endless death and torture to my community, then you are mistaken. If it helps I’ll refer to him as the Fisherman from here on as it’s easy spelt and everyone will know who I’m talking about

Maybe you could go half a mile down the road he went to forgive and forget. He arrived at a point where he was able to shake the hand of the Commander In Chief of the British Armed Forces.

You could begin by spelling his name correctly.

It doesn't 'annoy' me, it makes me feel pity for you actually.

You have never answered the question: 'Why can't the OO accept that there are places where they are not wanted and a multitude of places where they are....that nobody has an objection to?

Define what you mean by ‘not wanted’. And then I’ll answer the question.

Maybe you could go half a mile down the road he went to forgive and forget. He arrived at a point where he was able to shake the hand of the Commander In Chief of the British Armed Forces.

I went a massive way down the road by voting yes to the gfa and technically putting him in the highest office in the land.

Two commanders a chiefs shaking hands with each other lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

That works both ways.i for one was horrified at first regarding Britain having any kind of interaction with Adams and McGuinness but my opinion changed over time.

Not wanted = people do not want a 'culture' that triumphalises an event that saw centuries of suppression of their ancestors right up until the Unionist veto was removed by the Anglo Irish Agreement parading where they live.

That works both ways.i for one was horrified at first regarding Britain having any kind of interaction with Adams and McGuinness but my opinion changed over time.

Of course it works both ways. The British have moved part of the way, as have Irish republicans, they are a long way down the road in front of people who cannot even bring themselves to spell names correctly in a futile,childish and oh so typical, attempt to offend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Id imagine it fairly self explanatory?

Fionn1952 that is a fair point about names.If you don't mind me asking,what made you think of your boards name?

I don't think that's really relevant to the discussion at all, Rob, but if you're asking is 1952 the year I was born, then no, it isn't. It's a year of importance to my family, nothing to do with politics or any widely significant events, and so, it is a number I regularly use when I need a suffix for a username.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

janfebmar wrote: »
    If you are sheltering behind a land rover and being attacked by hundreds of missiles in a riot, and the road is filled with missile debris ( as shown in the Irish times photo before the shooting started) , and you believe your life is in danger ( only 2 days previously other security force personnel were murdered in the same city by Republicans), then while 99.999% of the time the British army did not fire live rounds back, but in Derry they did, and you equate those soldiers with the pira who planned Enniskillen bombing and Le Mons hotel and Claudy bombing etc well in advance and murdered innocents?

Two different situations, I would think, and I do not condone those who shot people on Bloody Sunday.

Some of the people on Bloody Sunday were shot after the soldiers chased them, it wasn’t all from behind barricades. But anyway we’re digressing, can we agreed that the Support Soldier F banners are wrong?

Some of the people on Bloody Sunday were shot after the soldiers chased them, it wasn’t all from behind barricades. But anyway we’re digressing, can we agreed that the Support Soldier F banners are wrong?

Soldier F literally shot an injured person crawling on the ground to finish em off

These are type of people the unionist communties overwhelmingly support

In fairness, Blaaz, the majority of Unionists I've met and known over the years absolutely don't.

It's a small group of very vocal extreme outliers who support things like Bloody Sunday. Unfortunately the squeaky wheel gets the oil, creating an unfair perception that it is a mainstream view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

In fairness, Blaaz, the majority of Unionists I've met and known over the years absolutely don't.

It's a small group of very vocal extreme outliers who support things like Bloody Sunday. Unfortunately the squeaky wheel gets the oil, creating an unfair perception that it is a mainstream view.
    Why is there Soldier F and Parachute Regiment flags flying across Belfast and all unionist areas in the country right now then? Seen them last week even in the so called "nice" mixed areas in Belfast. Absolutely disgusting. Even more so than the UVF etc flags also around. It's an absolute disgrace really that it's happening. Shared society me bollix, I wouldn't give those scum an inch. Animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The Enniskillen bombers, like the Claudy bombers and Bloody Friday bombers and Le Mons hotel bombers , planned to go out and murder innocent protestants. It was all pre planned and worked out. That is just one difference.

Same as the paras in Derry and Ballymurphy, went out to kill as many catholics as they could and then coward behind the safety of the British government.

• Advertisement

Bombers- unelected terrorists / people not working on behalf of any government, killing people in pursuit of political objectives....in what way was 9/11 different to Le Mons or Guildford or Belfast bloody Friday except perhaps by scale? The effect on the victims was the same.

Troubles here at the time has been routed in what the British state done and then what the unionist did when N.Ireland to catholic’s you can only keep people down for so long before they react.

911 was more a provoking act

They will row in behind and wear poppy all the same and never ever condemn the support for soldier f banners in shared spaces like town centres etc....to best my knowlege no unionist politian has condemned these or called for their removal and several have expressed delight for these banners

So much for a shared future and building community relations they like to spout about

_blaaz wrote: »
    They will row in behind and wear poppy all the same and never ever condemn the support for soldier f banners in shared spaces like town centres etc....to best my knowlege no unionist politian has condemned these or called for their removal and several have expressed delight for these banners

So much for a shared future and building community relations they like to spout about

DUP councillor in Derry, can’t have slogan at Christmas - have a very Derry Christmas. Saying it’s important people feel welcome

Same person very quite on the para flags being put up in the main roadways into the city when asked about them as they were put up in his ward

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I actually think it's Sinn Fein/SDLP/Alliance/Greens etc who are deluded about a shared future with unionists. They don't want a shared future, not in the North, not in any hypothetical United Ireland. They only want an orange supremacist statlet where they are standing on the necks of Catholics/Nationalists.

They aren't going to change. It will be no surrender until the very end. It's hard to take any shared future seriously when you see Parachute Regiment flags everywhere ffs.

It's hard to take any shared future seriously when you see Parachute Regiment flags everywhere ffs.

Exactly

Why is there Soldier F and Parachute Regiment flags flying across Belfast and all unionist areas in the country right now then? Seen them last week even in the so called "nice" mixed areas in Belfast. Absolutely disgusting. Even more so than the UVF etc flags also around. It's an absolute disgrace really that it's happening. Shared society me bollix, I wouldn't give those scum an inch. Animals.

Have you ever lived in any of those areas? I lived in Belfast for a fair few years myself, had some friends from a Nationalist background who didnt know the city terribly well when moving up, who ended up living in east Belfast for a year.

Like the majority of the local residents, they had absolutely no say on what flags were hung, but a few times a year had local heavies knocking on the door collecting money for flags. They paid up, because they quite like having windows and being able to sleep at night.

That's the case for a very large number of people living in these flag adorned areas.

The poppy is a bit more complicated than that. I'd never wear one myself, as I've already stated, but to compare it to UVF and Soldier F flags is a pretty ridiculous simplification.

Christ, I never thought I'd be the one defending poppies and flags!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I could get on my high horse about people calling my flag the Union Jack but I don’t think most do it on purpose so I relax about it.
    You can get chill pills for that condition

Could you though?

https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/

Not wanted = people do not want a 'culture' that triumphalises an event that saw centuries of suppression of their ancestors right up until the Unionist veto was removed by the Anglo Irish Agreement parading where they live.

What I am asking is what you mean by an area that does/does not want it.
    Is it 50% + 1 oppose it then it’s not wanted or if 1 person opposes it. Like if one person wants it is it wanted.
    And is it the entire route or could it be maybe 3 houses along a route do/don’t want it.

I will certainly answer your question when you clarify it for me. ie how you decide if it’s wanted or not?

Of course it works both ways. The British have moved part of the way, as have Irish republicans, they are a long way down the road in front of people who cannot even bring themselves to spell names correctly in a futile,childish and oh so typical, attempt to offend.
    So I take it you don’t believe me francie??

• Advertisement

Id imagine it fairly self explanatory?

Well then it will be easy for you to explain to me. See my recent post

Advertisement