Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Some of the people on Bloody Sunday were shot after the soldiers chased them, it wasn’t all from behind barricades. But anyway we’re digressing, can we agreed that the Support Soldier F banners are wrong?

No

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    In fairness, Blaaz, the majority of Unionists I've met and known over the years absolutely don't.

It's a small group of very vocal extreme outliers who support things like Bloody Sunday. Unfortunately the squeaky wheel gets the oil, creating an unfair perception that it is a mainstream view.
    And you can feel BS was very wrong yet still support a young private on the day who is being singled out for attention

Same as the paras in Derry and Ballymurphy, went out to kill as many catholics as they could and then coward behind the safety of the British government.

Nonsense

_blaaz wrote: »
    They will row in behind and wear poppy all the same and never ever condemn the support for soldier f banners in shared spaces like town centres etc....to best my knowlege no unionist politian has condemned these or called for their removal and several have expressed delight for these banners

So much for a shared future and building community relations they like to spout about

I have not heard a single nationalist call for the removal of the illegal ira memorial in my town

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

downcow wrote: »
    No

It's a grim display of support for the murder of innocent Catholics by British forces.

You support that do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

In fairness, Blaaz, the majority of Unionists I've met and known over the years absolutely don't.

It's a small group of very vocal extreme outliers who support things like Bloody Sunday. Unfortunately the squeaky wheel gets the oil, creating an unfair perception that it is a mainstream view.
    And you can feel BS was very wrong yet still support a young private on the day who is being singled out for attention

100% agree, downcow, Soldier F should not have been singled out for attention. Every single soldier there who fired on civilians should be right up there in the dock with him, along with everyone who was complicit in giving the orders. One soldier facing charges is an absolute travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What I am asking is what you mean by an area that does/does not want it.
    Is it 50% + 1 oppose it then it’s not wanted or if 1 person opposes it. Like if one person wants it is it wanted.
    And is it the entire route or could it be maybe 3 houses along a route do/don’t want it.

I will certainly answer your question when you clarify it for me. ie how you decide if it’s wanted or not?

There is an independent parades commission to decide on these things and they have.
    Neither you or I have the right to second guess them.

Why won't the OO abide by this process?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Some of the people on Bloody Sunday were shot after the soldiers chased them, it wasn’t all from behind barricades. But anyway we’re digressing, can we agreed that the Support Soldier F banners are wrong?

Yes, normal people will agree that the Support Soldier F banners are wrong, those normal people will also think that the IRA murals in West Belfast are wrong. Unfortunately there are few enough on here who would say that about both.

Too many throwing in glasshouses

100% agree, downcow, Soldier F should not have been singled out for attention. Every single soldier there who fired on civilians should be right up there in the dock with him, along with everyone who was complicit in giving the orders. One soldier facing charges is an absolute travesty.

Exactly. There should be many more than soldiers on trial for what happened that day and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

No

This is crazy, you feel he should not be put on trial? Do you feel no one should be put on trial? That the people shot dead in Derry were fair game?

• Advertisement

It's a grim display of support for the murder of innocent Catholics by British forces.

You support that do you?

I have been very clear. Bloody Sunday was wrong but there were 3,000 other wrong killings.
    Chase all the killers or chase none. Simple

There is an independent parades commission to decide on these things and they have.
    Neither you or I have the right to second guess them.

Why won't the OO abide by this process?

Francie you are ducking and diving again.
    Let’s not deflect by using the parades Commission. Simple question What is your criteria for deciding if a parade is wanted or not???
    The parades Commission won’t tell anyone how they decide.

Then I’ll answer your question

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, normal people will agree that the Support Soldier F banners are wrong, those normal people will also think that the IRA murals in West Belfast are wrong. Unfortunately there are few enough on here who would say that about both.

Tell me what exactly is wrong about a banner supporting someone who you think should not be dragged through the court system on his own

Exactly. There should be many more than soldiers on trial for what happened that day and after.

And the 9,000 days after

This is crazy, you feel he should not be put on trial? Do you feel no one should be put on trial? That the people shot dead in Derry were fair game?

I am being consistent about the killings. What would be crazy is if you think those republican with secret letters of comfort and royal pardons should not be pursued but soldier f should. That’s the definition of crazy

I have been very clear. Bloody Sunday was wrong but there were 3,000 other wrong killings.

If there is evidence against a republican they will be charged.

4 British soldiers were charged and found guilty of murder, they were released and allowed rejoin their regiments after 3 to 4 years.

Don't even try to defend that.

Francie you are ducking and diving again.
    Let’s not deflect by using the parades Commission. Simple question What is your criteria for deciding if a parade is wanted or not???
    The parades Commission won’t tell anyone how they decide.

Then I’ll answer your question

It isn't my job or yours to decide. That is for an independent body.

Has the OO ever abided by or accepted a decision of the PC?

It isn't my job or yours to decide. That is for an independent body.

Has the OO ever abided by or accepted a decision of the PC?

You are avoiding the question francie.
    I have had direct contact with the parades Commission and many of their decisions either way are completely without logic.
    The question is what is you criteria for deciding if a parade is unwanted???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What bizarre other-world are you living in? Republicans severed thousands of years in jails across Ireland and Britain. The terrorists in uniforms were practically immune from opening fire on innocent Catholics. The terrorists in uniforms should have been chased 40 years ago but they weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

I have not heard a single nationalist call for the removal of the illegal ira memorial in my town

What about what about what about.....do you people have anything positive to offer the world

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

I cant see how someone can wear the poppy and condemn soldier f,without being grade A hypocrites tbh

You are avoiding the question francie.
    I have had direct contact with the parades Commission and many of their decisions either way are completely without logic.
    The question is what is you criteria for deciding if a parade is unwanted???

I am not avoiding the question. Disputed parades are to be adjudicated on by the PC.
    For instance, the PC didn't get involved in the Portrush parade tonight, because it is not disputed.

It isn't up to me to decide.

Why will the OO not abide by independent arbitration on these parades. The PC's criteria is there for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nonsense

Not liking the truth ?

Tell me what exactly is wrong about a banner supporting someone who you think should not be dragged through the court system on his own

Mate,your literally supporting a murderer?

Nothing wrong with it....but your a pure hypocrite to critise republican/unionist terrorist for doing same.thing

You cant claim to support community relations while cheering on shooting civil rights protesters...the two just dont fit....

But you keep.up.the support of soldier f all you want....just a perfect fit for the caricature now

What about what about what about.....do you people have anything positive to offer the world

Francie asked me if I would support parades in areas they were not wanted. I have simply asked him how he would suggest I define no wanted. He won’t answer that simple question. But you see that question goes to the heart of it.

Francie asked me if I would support parades in areas they were not wanted. I have simply asked him how he would suggest I define no wanted. He won’t answer that simple question. But you see that question goes to the heart of it.

Except you replied to my post....but then again you knew that :yawn:

What about what about in face of critism shows yous know yous are wrong

What bizarre other-world are you living in? Republicans severed thousands of years in jails across Ireland and Britain. The terrorists in uniforms were practically immune from opening fire on innocent Catholics. The terrorists in uniforms should have been chased 40 years ago but they weren't.

Just heard the stat yesterday about Fermanagh.
    95% of republic killings remain unsolved. Over 50% of killings suspected to involve state were solved.

I am not avoiding the question. Disputed parades are to be adjudicated on by the PC.
    For instance, the PC didn't get involved in the Portrush parade tonight, because it is not disputed.

It isn't up to me to decide.

Why will the OO not abide by independent arbitration on these parades. The PC's criteria is there for all to see.

So I’m sure you know how to cut and paste. I await this clear criteria on when a parade is no wanted.

Mate,your literally supporting a murderer?

Nothing wrong with it....but your a pure hypocrite to critise republican/unionist terrorist for doing same.thing

You cant claim to support community relations while cheering on shooting civil rights protesters...the two just dont fit....

But you keep.up.the support of soldier f all you want....just a perfect fit for the caricature now
    Of one single very junior ira member was being singled out for production following a £100m+ enquiry then I would have no problem with nationalists putting up banners to support him position.
    It’s you that is the hypocrite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Of one single very junior ira member was being singled out for production following a £100m+ enquiry then I would have no problem with nationalists putting up banners to support him position.
    It’s you that is the hypocrite.

Would not have needed that £100m enquiry if the government had not have covered it up in the 1st place with the original investigation. Just think how much money would have been saved if they had of done a proper investigation at the time.

Advertisement