Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I thought you couldn't go lower than a British Tory refusing to face up to incipient racism within it's ranks and leadership.

But a new low has been reached in protecting racists in Tory Britian here on on an Irish website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

But a new low has been reached in protecting racists in Tory Britian here on on an Irish website.

Nobody is protecting anyone. Everyone has or had their flaws, Churchill included.
    Would it cheer you up if I told you that Churchill said he hoped for a United Ireland? You may change your views on him a bit then?
    It was quite funny how you always thought DeValera was a good lad until I told you something you had not known, that he (Dev) had 6 IRA men executed by firing squad in an Irish prison during the war. Your opinion on Dev charged noticeably then.

Nothing is as black and white as you were led to believe Francie.

janfebmar wrote: »
    Nobody is protecting anyone. Everyone has or had their flaws, Churchill included.
    Would it cheer you up if I told you that Churchill said he hoped for a United Ireland? You may change your views on him a bit then?
    It was quite funny how you always thought DeValera was a good lad until I told you something you had not known, that he (Dev) had 6 IRA men executed by firing squad in an Irish prison during the war. Your opinion on Dev charged noticeably then.

Nothing is as black and white as you were led to believe Francie.

It really is quite worrying how you lie so easily.

I think David McCullagh's biog was the 4th one I read on Dev.

He was flawed too janfebnar, as is Gerry Adams, as was Russell etc. The point that was made way back before you revealed how historically deranged you are.

He was flawed too janfebnar, as is Gerry Adams, as was Russell etc.
    That is what I always said, even again a few posts ago: "Everyone has or had their flaws, Churchill included."
    The point that was made way back before you revealed how historically deranged you are.
    LOL. when confronted with new (to you) facts attack the poster. "historically deranged", coming from you! lol. I nearly spilt my tea laughing.

That is what I always said, even again a few posts ago: "Everyone has or had their flaws, Churchill included."

Great, finally you agree then, if logical (I doubt this) that if Russell's statue has to come down because of a flaw in his characther, so too does any other statue were the subject had 'flaws'.

LOL. when confronted with new (to you) facts attack the poster. "historically deranged", coming from you! lol. I nearly spilt my tea laughing.

Historically deranged refers to someone who thinks that pivoting to a tangent of their own invention, proves the argument it is tangential too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its way past the 12th now.

Great, finally you agree then, if logical (I doubt this) that if Russell's statue has to come down because of a flaw in his characther, so too does any other statue were the subject had 'flaws'.

As someone else said, Winston Churchill saved these islands and the whole of Europe from a barbaric fascist and racist tyranny and our debt to him is incalculable. He was one of the greatest Prime Ministers of the 20th century.
    Did anyone elect Russell or what was he famous for again?
    Its way past the 12th now.

You are right, and the thread should be closed.

As someone else said, Winston Churchill saved these islands and the whole of Europe from a barbaric fascist and racist tyranny and our debt to him is incalculable.
    No he didn't, you are ignoring the history again. There were many many reasons why the Nazi's were stopped. And many are now accusing Churchill for overseeing and endorsing colonial barbarism himself. A fact you have been deflecting from with deranged historical musings for quite a while now.
    He was one of the greatest Prime Ministers of the 20th century.
    And he was also a racist and white suprematist and wasn't our PM...Ever.
    Did anyone elect Russell or what was he famous for again?
    Why would he need to be elected? Enough people thought his service to their cause felt he deserved remembrance in a country were you are free to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You are right, and the thread should be closed.
    Not closed.

But there are other discussions to be had about NI.

Not closed.

But there are other discussions to be had about NI.

But no on a thread called the 12th, when it is derailed by people constantly griping about the failures of the man who led the effort, before others like USA and Russia got involved, to stand up to the Nazis in western Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

destruction of food? He did'nt actually.

Tbf he did actually persue the policy
    As imports dropped, prices shot up and hoarders made a killing. Mr Churchill also pushed a scorched earth policy - which went by the sinister name of Denial Policy - in coastal Bengal where the colonisers feared the Japanese would land. So authorities removed boats (the lifeline of the region) and the police destroyed and seized rice stocks.

Im failing to see why your lying tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Did you know here in Ireland, In 1844, the year before the Famine, Ireland exported 94,000 tonnes of wheat and 314,000 tonnes of oats, and imported 23,000 tons of wheat. Net exports: 385,000 tonnes.

In 1847, at the height of the Famine, Ireland exported 39,000 tonnes of wheat, and 98,000 tonnes of oats , and imported 199,000 tonnes of wheat, 12,000 tonnes of oats and 682,000 tonnes of maize. Net imports of 756,000 tonnes, a change of 1,140,000 tonnes.

Hence the calls for the Famine to be declared a genocide.

As someone else said, Winston Churchill saved these islands and the whole of Europe from a barbaric fascist and racist tyranny and our debt to him is incalculable............ .

Isn't a shame he didn't do it for the nations of Asia, Africa and the middle East.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Isn't a shame he didn't do it for the nations of Asia, Africa and the middle East.

Actually millions of people from Asia, Africa and the middle East volunteered and helped the Allied war effort, and found Churchill and the Allied powers far fairer and democratic than the likes of Nazi Germany and Japan.

Actually millions of people from Asia, Africa and the middle East volunteered and helped the Allied war effort, and found Churchill and the Allied powers far fairer and democratic than the likes of Nazi Germany and Japan.

.....so fair and democratic that the majority of them rose up in arms in the two decades subsequent to the end of WWII.

.....so fair and democratic that the majority of them rose up in arms in the two decades subsequent to the end of WWII.

Decolonisation happened to all the European mainland countries too. And no, the majority of them did not rise up "in arms" against the UK. You need to study the history of commonwealth countries and other countries a bit better.

Decolonisation happened to all the European mainland countries too. And no, the majority of them did not rise up "in arms" against the UK. You need to study the history of commonwealth countries and other countries a bit better.

You mean the white majority states didn't in general consistently rise up - with one exception.

Be pretty hard to rise againest the uk,since the uk didnt colonise them...only ireland??

How.many european countries are in commonwealth?

_blaaz wrote: »
    Be pretty hard to rise againest the uk,since the uk didnt colonise them...only ireland??

How.many european countries are in commonwealth?

It may surprise you to know the European countries all had colonies around the world.

It may surprise you to know the European countries all had colonies around the world.

None of which are relevent to this discussion mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Who are you referring to when you say the majority rose up in arms?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Never seen goal posts being moved so often

Churchill wanted a United Ireland yes as kingdom of Ireland tied to the British crown so a return back to what it was before

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Who are you referring to when you say the majority rose up in arms?

Kenya, Zimbabwe, Burma etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Not true, not all European countries had colonies.

, Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe? How many UK soldiers do you think were killed by someone from Zimbabwe? I'll give you a clew. None. Rhodesia was independent before Zimbabwe even existed.

Not true, not all European countries had colonies.

Only the UK of Britain and Ireland, France, Holland, Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Belgium, Germany, Italy...I could go on.
    As a home country, we provided 30% of the administration in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Only the UK of Britain and Ireland, France, Holland, Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Belgium, Germany, Italy...I could go on.

Plus some of it`s finest military commanders.

So you admit you were wrong, thanks now move on.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Plus some of it`s finest military commanders.
    Like these lads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre

• Advertisement

So you admit you were wrong

No. To clarify, all western European countries had colonies.

Advertisement