Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance settlement and flexibility of individual amounts

• 10-07-2019 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a claim for water damage that the insurance agreed a settlement amount for. This was obviously based on estimates for everything.

The settlement letter has the following table listing a summary of how much they are paying out and a high level break down.
    Item Settlement
    Buildings €XXXX
    Alternative Accommodation €XXXX
    Gross Settlement €XXXX
    Less Excess €XXXX
    Net Settlement €XXXX
    Less Retention €XXXX
    Payment Now Due €XXXX

The insurance also say on the letter:
    The retention with respect to the building repairs will be considered for release subject to receipt of the
    following:
    - Submission of photographs of completed works
    - Submission of valid VAT invoices to the agreed amount

It also included a scoping breakdown document - showing exactly how much they were giving for each item e.g. replacement floors etc.

It ended up that the building works might come in under the amount but the length of time it took is longer so the amount of rent lost is higher. Does anyone know is there normally flexibility within the settlement in that I can show the works were not completed until X date so X more rent was lost but that the building works were less? or would the insurance normally say no - what was agreed in relation to rent lost is just that figure?

I really don't know where to get the answer to the above so am hoping someone here might have an idea.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The key is the reason why works might take longer. If it is unavoidable, insurers will listen to alternative suggestions, if the delay is down to you not getting on with reinstatement it is unlikely

Advertisement