Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I change from a 24 hour meter to a dual meter free of charge? Urgent!!!

Options
  • 10-07-2019 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hello-am hoping you can help me urgently. ESB are looking for this info this afternoon. My phone wont ring 1850 or 1890 numbers!

I am making a new connection (new build).

Am leaning towards putting in a 24 hour meter.

If, in say 6 months, I think consumption is too much on the 24 hour meter, if I go with Electric Ireland, can I switch (free of charge) to a day/night (dual) meter?

Also, can you reiterate to me the cost on 24 hour meter?

Thanks,

Dellas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Dellas,

Thanks for your interest in Electric Ireland.

You can indeed change to a day/night meter free of charge, however, if you decide to change back to a 24-hour meter subsequently, there is a charge for this.

The day/night meter is beneficial if the customer has cause for electricity consumption during the night rate hours, which are currently midnight to 9am, and 11pm to 8am when the clocks go back. It is very suitable for, e.g., customers with storage heating or an electric vehicle charger.

The day rate is higher than the 24-hour rate, so the 24-hour meter would seem to be more beneficial for customers who do not have reason to use much electricity during the night rate hours.

The 24-hour unit rate is 0.1739 (0.1643 with the direct debit and online billing saving) - excluding VAT.

The standing charge depends - are you urban or rural based?

Thanks again,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hi Dellas,

Thanks for your interest in Electric Ireland.

You can indeed change to a day/night meter free of charge, however, if you decide to change back to a 24-hour meter subsequently, there is a charge for this.

The day/night meter is beneficial if the customer has cause for electricity consumption during the night rate hours, which are currently midnight to 9am, and 11pm to 8am when the clocks go back. It is very suitable for, e.g., customers with storage heating or an electric vehicle charger.

The day rate is higher than the 24-hour rate, so the 24-hour meter would seem to be more beneficial for customers who do not have reason to use much electricity during the night rate hours.

The 24-hour unit rate is 0.1739 (0.1643 with the direct debit and online billing saving) - excluding VAT.

The standing charge depends - are you urban or rural based?

Thanks again,
    Una
    Thanks very much for the prompt reply!

I am trying to find out off the ESB, is there a charge for them to physically come out and change the meter (from a 24 hr to a day/night) and I cant get answers off them. ESB keep telling me to ask electricity provider. Electricity provider keeps teliing me to contact the ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Dellas,

We are happy to advise.

If you have any other questions for us, please let us know.

And the Electric Ireland standing charge for a 24-hour meter is:

Urban - approximately 46 cent per day, including VAT.
    Rural - approximately 60 cent per day, including VAT.

Kind regards,
    Una

Advertisement