Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pension “death benefit” cheque

• 10-07-2019 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My father who was in receipt of state pension from Ireland recently died. He was living in the U.K. with my mother.
    She has now received a cheque from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection of a “death benefit” payment. The problem is the cheque is in Euros, and she does not have a Euro bank account.
    The cheque is not ‘crossed’ neither does it state “to account payee only”, therefore would it be possible that I pay the cheque into my own account (here in Ireland), and then I could just do a bank transfer to her Revolut account? Does she need to sign the back of the cheque? On the rear of the cheque it has a space for signature, date and address... would that be my mothers signature and address, or the person who is cashing the cheque i.e me?
    Thanks for any advice on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Who is the cheque made out to? If it's to your mother then she needs to sign it and you can lodge it. If it's made out to the 'estate of (fathers name)' then she'll have to sort it herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 YSpanopoulos

Hi, thanks for your reply.
    The cheque is in my mothers name. Therefore if she signs the back of the cheque I can cash it into my own account?
    Thank you

Advertisement