Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christopher Ward

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Wibbs wrote: »
    You've completely missed my point FG, or to be fair I may have made it roughly, though your post to Fret saying "I can tell you didnt inherit your fathers watches" came across as more than a little pretentious.

I promised myself I would not respond here cause its the land of inverted snobbery but people are quoting me a lot out of context and editing my quotes to suit the strawman they are building.

Wibbs my comment "I can tell you didnt inherit your fathers watches"was made in direct and contemporaneous response to this quote from fret_wimp2 above my post (with whom I was having a perfectly interesting and stimulating debate) "So what, I am dead, i enjoyed the watch while i was alive and now its not a worry for me! What has the value of the watch got to do with anything to a dead man? "...you responded twice to my posts in a cordial manner, and then decided to throw in the F.U. part about being a pretentious snob in another post 9 minutes later. Now thanks to that, the debate is over, because the moderator of the forum has just dismissed all my previous points, like a corrupt coppers past convictions, meaning my points no longer need addressing just attack the man...which was dutifully done.

I assure you I do not pretend to be anything I am not, nor would I wear anything pretending to be what it is not. I dont pretend to congratulate people on their bad decisions, find the good in their folly and patronise them by chocolate coating the turds in a veneer of garrulous historical perspectives and insincere positivity. I dont apologise for what I have and I dont begrudge others what they have.

thomasm - have to say the dial on that watch is quite jarring with very odd symmetry, and looks like its taken bits from a lot of other watches (tudor BB heratage burgandy bezel crossed with a early 2000's Seamaster,) . 500 euro is a fair chunk of money to me anyway, look on the stienhart website at the ocean one range for some comparison, A GMT function and bracelet to boot on those..albeit some people have issue with homage watches. I think if you had a 500 euro budget and a style of watch in mind, few would have advised you to buy this. Sorry. A "Corgeut Men's Analogue Sapphire Glass Automatic Watch Leather Strap Red Bezel" for 100 euro would do the job as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I promised myself I would not respond here cause its the land of inverted snobbery but people are quoting me a lot out of context and editing my quotes to suit the strawman they are building.
    You still can't see never mind acknowledge how you may come across?
    Wibbs my comment "I can tell you didnt inherit your fathers watches"was made in direct and contemporaneous response to this quote from fret_wimp2 above my post (with whom I was having a perfectly interesting and stimulating debate) "So what, I am dead, i enjoyed the watch while i was alive and now its not a worry for me! What has the value of the watch got to do with anything to a dead man? "...you responded twice to my posts in a cordial manner, and then decided to throw in the F.U. part about being a pretentious snob in another post 9 minutes later. Now thanks to that, the debate is over, because the moderator of the forum has just dismissed all my previous points, like a corrupt coppers past convictions, meaning my points no longer need addressing just attack the man...which was dutifully done.
    Again you seem completely oblivious to your own comments about fools and their money, buying a cheaper watch because they don't know their own mind yet/are too poor to buy it, "lying to themselves" and how they will eventually buy a proper watch when they somehow come to their senses that their "so called collection" is "just a bunch of trash". Fret wimp himself noted this. You seem to missed that in your perfectly interesting and stimulating debate you thought you were having.

Oh and for one complaining about putting words in other's mouths, my exact words were "TBH FG, you're veering more and more towards sounding pretentious and snooty here". I didn't say you were, I said it sounded like. I had hoped you might see how this might be perceived. Clearly in vain as leaving aside the previous posts, even in this post you continue on and crap on a fellow members actual purchase.

Oh and for the record Fitzgeme, folks in this community have posted everything from their ten quid Casios to 15K Pateks, through smart watches, homages, new, vintage and every brand under the sun and not once, not a single time has any other poster crapped on their choices, or if they felt it they had the cop on to not post it. If that according to you is inverted snobbery I dunno what to say. I will say I for one am happy it's like that and it'll stay that way. There are too many forums out there where it isn't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm going to use that one so the wife will allow me to spend €15k on the watch I want. "It's actually not for me, it's for the kids". :pac:
    They beat ya to it CC. :D

prt_275x358_1505424939_2x.jpg

Very clever ad campaign to be fair.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I assure you I do not pretend to be anything I am not, nor would I wear anything pretending to be what it is not. I dont pretend to congratulate people on their bad decisions, find the good in their folly and patronise them by chocolate coating the turds in a veneer of garrulous historical perspectives and insincere positivity. I dont apologise for what I have and I dont begrudge others what they have.

thomasm - have to say the dial on that watch is quite jarring with very odd symmetry, and looks like its taken bits from a lot of other watches (tudor BB heratage burgandy bezel crossed with a early 2000's Seamaster,) . 500 euro is a fair chunk of money to me anyway, look on the stienhart website at the ocean one range for some comparison, A GMT function and bracelet to boot on those..albeit some people have issue with homage watches. I think if you had a 500 euro budget and a style of watch in mind, few would have advised you to buy this. Sorry. A "Corgeut Men's Analogue Sapphire Glass Automatic Watch Leather Strap Red Bezel" for 100 euro would do the job as well.

Interesting comments on the CW Fitzgeme. I was close to getting the steinherart ocean one but many reviews said it sat quiet high due to straight lugs. With no disrespect the Corgeut looks low quality from the pics I’ve seen and not in the same quality league as the CW.

While I like the CW I still have the option of sending it back and what would cause me to do this is the way it sticks up on my wrist. Im open to suggestions of a diver style with a max of €500 budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think what he meant to say was know the value of a watch and don't over pay for it. Especially where there are fake sales to make you think a watch is worth more than it is. There is better value in a more expensive watch if bought astutely.

I expect the passion for the subject got the better of him here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

thomasm wrote: »
    Interesting comments on the CW Fitzgeme. I was close to getting the steinherart ocean one but many reviews said it sat quiet high due to straight lugs. With no disrespect the Corgeut looks low quality from the pics I’ve seen and not in the same quality league as the CW.

While I like the CW I still have the option of sending it back and what would cause me to do this is the way it sticks up on my wrist. Im open to suggestions of a diver style with a max of €500 budget.

How proud a watch sits can sometimes depend on your wrist, if its quite wide, any relatively thick watch will look quite proud.

In my experience, i found the seiko sumo to sit quite low on my wrist, it has nice curve on the lugs that made it feel a little more low profile. Can be found for sub 500 quid 2nd hand.

Edit: 2_shea from the forum has one on adverts right now for sub 500 quid. Definitely worth trying out to see how it feels.

Aye, lugs make a big difference alright. The largest watch I have is 43mm and sits more flush and comfortable because the lugs are more curved. Another is a slab of a thing at the same size, but lugless and that shrinks it down again. Yet another watch I have is only 36mm, but it has straighter lugs and is 13mm thick, so looks and feels huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

Did you buy the 38mm Trident Thomas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    How proud a watch sits can sometimes depend on your wrist, if its quite wide, any relatively thick watch will look quite proud.

In my experience, i found the seiko sumo to sit quite low on my wrist, it has nice curve on the lugs that made it feel a little more low profile. Can be found for sub 500 quid 2nd hand.

Edit: 2_shea from the forum has one on adverts right now for sub 500 quid. Definitely worth trying out to see how it feels.

I can't comment on expensive watches I have none. But I used to think G-Shocks would wear massive. But then I got one and the stap with the wings makes it so comfortable I don't notice it. I think it's so individual to the each watch you have to try it in person.

Did you buy the 38mm Trident Thomas?

I did, I posted some comments earlier in the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Back to the Trident. For context I currently have a Seiko Premier and Dan Henry 64 so this is a new ‘level’ for me. First thoughts are

1) Packaged like a proper luxury item. Very impressive.
    2) Watch looks better in the flesh.
    3) Looks and feels a quality piece with the caveat I’ve never handled a high end watch before so have no benchmark
    4) The strap smells and looks like good quality leather
    5) Lume is excellent
    6) Only Gripe is it’s a little pronounced on my wrist and although I have skinny square wrists the Dan Henry with beads of rice bracket sits better. I’m hoping when leather breaks in this will not be an issue

Would I pay €900 for this, I don’t think so. Is it worth €500, I think it is

In both pictures it looks like the bezel has a mark on the 11 minute marker on the bezel?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Back to the Trident. For context I currently have a Seiko Premier and Dan Henry 64 so this is a new ‘level’ for me. First thoughts are

1) Packaged like a proper luxury item. Very impressive.
    2) Watch looks better in the flesh.
    3) Looks and feels a quality piece with the caveat I’ve never handled a high end watch before so have no benchmark
    4) The strap smells and looks like good quality leather
    5) Lume is excellent
    6) Only Gripe is it’s a little pronounced on my wrist and although I have skinny square wrists the Dan Henry with beads of rice bracket sits better. I’m hoping when leather breaks in this will not be an issue

Would I pay €900 for this, I don’t think so. Is it worth €500, I think it is

Looks great! Enjoy it!

I think if you not really happy I would send it back. Its going to be hard to try sell later. I would agree that a Seiko sumo wears nicely and can be had in a range of colours. Get a bracelet and change to a strap or Nato. The seiko is unlike me unpretentious. Doesn't keep legendary time but is a solid watch.

The great thing about Stienhart (wears like a bigger rolex, nice watch IMHO) and to a lesser extent Seiko is that they sell second hand in a flash. Now you can claim that thats irrelevant if you "love it" but just like a prenuptial agreement, you will be glad its there if/when the love is gone. Stienharts sell in a flash on adverts, Seikos a little slower but good market for them too. There is zero market for a CW unless you price it as dog muck.

I bet you would really like the look of a Omega Seamaster 300?

I bet you would really like the look of a Omega Seamaster 300?
    It seems you misread T's post.
    Im open to suggestions of a diver style with a max of €500 budget.
    €500, not 5000.

It seems you misread T's post.

€500, not 5000.

No you misread mine and not for the first time. I bet he would like..the look...of a seamaster 300. And I bet he would...if he answers that he would I will advise that he can get a quartz one for under a grand, or an automatic for for around 2300 euro on ceramic. If he is not there I will advise he waits...if he doesn't want to wait I will advise something else that's not a waste of time and has the look he is after

Read my words not what you think I wrote.

Nope I read his words. Five hundred quid max. Not under a grand or two plus grand, or waiting until he gets a proper watch by your measure.

Though I agree with you re the Steinhart or Seiko Sumo. Better watches for the money and saleable if it comes to it, with little of a hit to the pocket, especially if going secondhand.

There is zero market for a CW unless you price it as dog muck.

Just out of curiosity have you held or owned a Christopher Ward.

There is a really active resale market on the CW Enthusiasts Facebook page

Nope I read his words. Five hundred quid max. Not under a grand or two plus grand, or waiting until he gets a proper watch by your measure.

Though I agree with you re the Steinhart or Seiko Sumo. Better watches for the money and saleable if it comes to it, with little of a hit to the pocket, especially if going secondhand.

Nope Wibbs try again, go back and re-read the secret is in the words "look of". At this stage you just trying to find fault with me. I asked him does he like the LOOK OF the omega seamaster, ie its appearance, its style. I then suggest you had again misread MY words. I though remembering things you read its your super power.

Thomas - I am sure there is great resale of anything on its own fan FB page...even Daniel Wellington. I have held one (strangly on a guy that bought a seamaster off me hence my question to you) and saw nothing in it that would make me buy one over a Seiko SKX on a nice Strapcode bracelet or if your into straps a nato or leather/nubuck. The steinharts feel superb in the hand, if a little unrefined but they are big watches. Could you push your budget up to say a grand if you waited a while longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Im open to suggestions of a diver style with a max of €500 budget.

One quick way to have an idea of what's available on the market (just to quickly check if you like a certain look) is to check chrono24 and put in say a €750 limit on dive watches. This will give you a general idea of what can be bought at around €500 in "real life" conditions - here's the search btw (some of the watches are new, some are second hand):
    https://www.chrono24.com/search/index.htm?disableCtr=true&dosearch=true&maxAgeInDays=0&pageSize=60&priceFrom=0&priceTo=750&query=dive+watch&redirectToSearchIndex=true&sortorder=0&styles=1811&waterproof=912&waterproof=913&waterproof=915&waterproof=920

Out of the results I see some of the ones that stand out to me include:
    New Alpina (if "old" Swiss brand is important to you) - https://www.chrono24.com/alpina/alpina-seastrong-diver-300-automatik---achtung-415-gespart--id7667854.htm

New Citizen titanium diver (if you like titanium over steel and Citizen is an "established" brand too of course, less than €500 even on chrono24) - https://www.chrono24.com/citizen/divers-automatic-super-titanio--id11256540.htm

New Bulova devil diver (pretty unique look that doesn't remind me of anything else - "old" US brand now Japanese (Citizen) owned) - https://www.chrono24.com/bulova/oceanographer-special-edition-devil-diver--id9796497.htm

Used Hamilton Khaki chrono frogman (super unique look, has chronograph too, old school US brand now Swatch owned (like Omega, Breguet, Mido etc. etc.) - https://www.chrono24.com/hamilton/hamilton-frogman-automatic-chronograph-diver-old-skool--id10389236.htm

And something not on Chrono24 but often suggested (and I have two myself for fun) - Vostok Amphibia - costs anything from 50-100 euro and is an amazing piece of tech from USSR/Russia - it's innovative, cheap and super distinctive. It's more a Lotus Elise than a Ferrari - a true functional timepiece:
    https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/

I'd have no problems leaving a Vostok on to my children - if they're anything like me they'd love to learn about its O-ring innovation, "loose" crown (that's a feature) and utilitarian looks :D - oh and if you spot someone else wearing an Amphibia on their arm they probably are a "watch lover" too :D
    ...Doesn't keep legendary time but is a solid watch...

Thought that people didn't care much about watch movements and accuracy? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Thirdfox wrote: »
    One quick way to have an idea of what's available on the market (just to quickly check if you like a certain look) is to check chrono24 and put in say a €750 limit on dive watches.

watchrecon.com is also a good place to get a rough estimate of the value of things.

• Advertisement

Most dont hence I said it was a solid watch. If +/- 10-30 sec a day if ok for you then its a good buy. I have had, and still have seiko's, I like em, they are the peoples champion of mechanical watches.

The trick Thirdfox is to quote me out of context a few times in the same post using multiquote, hopefully I will only respond to or contextualize one of two of the misquotes and you will get a few digs in unchallenged, giving me a straight right to reply is too easy. :p

To be fair to you Hammilton is an excellent choice in this price bracket and I was going to suggest the Kacki Scuba (750 new on watchshop) if thomas had said he like the seamaster, but you know Wibbs is on my back so I spend my time trying to get him to understand the written word :(.

H82345141.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭893bet

The sexual tension in here is unreal!

893bet wrote: »
    The sexual tension in here is unreal!

Run 893bet....gullible, patek owning, nouveau riche, horological tourist, elitist pigs like you are not safe here.

One quick way to have an idea of what's available on the market (just to quickly check if you like a certain look) is to check chrono24 and put in say a €750 limit on dive watches. This will give you a general idea of what can be bought at around €500 in "real life" conditions - here's the search btw (some of the watches are new, some are second hand):
    https://www.chrono24.com/search/index.htm?disableCtr=true&dosearch=true&maxAgeInDays=0&pageSize=60&priceFrom=0&priceTo=750&query=dive+watch&redirectToSearchIndex=true&sortorder=0&styles=1811&waterproof=912&waterproof=913&waterproof=915&waterproof=920

Out of the results I see some of the ones that stand out to me include:
    New Alpina (if "old" Swiss brand is important to you) - https://www.chrono24.com/alpina/alpina-seastrong-diver-300-automatik---achtung-415-gespart--id7667854.htm

New Citizen titanium diver (if you like titanium over steel and Citizen is an "established" brand too of course, less than €500 even on chrono24) - https://www.chrono24.com/citizen/divers-automatic-super-titanio--id11256540.htm

New Bulova devil diver (pretty unique look that doesn't remind me of anything else - "old" US brand now Japanese (Citizen) owned) - https://www.chrono24.com/bulova/oceanographer-special-edition-devil-diver--id9796497.htm

Used Hamilton Khaki chrono frogman (super unique look, has chronograph too, old school US brand now Swatch owned (like Omega, Breguet, Mido etc. etc.) - https://www.chrono24.com/hamilton/hamilton-frogman-automatic-chronograph-diver-old-skool--id10389236.htm

And something not on Chrono24 but often suggested (and I have two myself for fun) - Vostok Amphibia - costs anything from 50-100 euro and is an amazing piece of tech from USSR/Russia - it's innovative, cheap and super distinctive. It's more a Lotus Elise than a Ferrari - a true functional timepiece:
    https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/

I'd have no problems leaving a Vostok on to my children - if they're anything like me they'd love to learn about its O-ring innovation, "loose" crown (that's a feature) and utilitarian looks :D - oh and if you spot someone else wearing an Amphibia on their arm they probably are a "watch lover" too :D

Thanks for your efforts in putting that together. I will have a look at all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Here's the watchrecon search results - I dropped the filter down to 600 as it's private sales rather than chrono24's dealer types. Plenty of selection - you could always have a look and if anything catches your fancy looks wise ask us inverted snobs (is an inverted snob another word for "decent fellows/fellowettes"? :D) on the forum what we think of it.

https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=dive&price_end=600&last_days=31

Run 893bet....gullible, patek owning, nouveau riche, horological tourist, elitist pigs like you are not safe here.

Frankly I've had quite enough of your childish nonsense at this stage. Do NOT post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Frankly I've had quite enough of your childish nonsense at this stage. Do NOT post in this thread again.

That’s quite harsh. It was clearly a joke, FG has made solid well reasoned and considered points in this thread about value and where it is to be found. Whether people agree with them or not is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I didnt think it was harsh at all.

OK folks let's get back on the topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just one thing on the vostok, I love them, but setting the date is a pain in the arse. The one thing turning me off getting another. You have to change the time to 1am, them back to 8pm, forward past midnight to 1am, repeat repeat repeat.
    If you rotate watches, any time you want to wear your vostok it'll be at least 25 days behind for maximum annoyance. But definitely worth a look, you can get some cool watches for under €90

Advertisement