Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on GUI Card

Options
  • 10-07-2019 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am overseas but am considering joining an Irish club as I may be spending 2 or 3 weeks a year in Ireland going forward. If I become a member can I simply pay the GUI fee to get a GUI member card - without a handicap - that would entitle me to GUI discounts at other clubs?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Highly doubt it, your best bet would be Overseas Membership but you'd want to check your GUI status with your club

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ExPaddy

slave1 wrote: »
    Highly doubt it, your best bet would be Overseas Membership but you'd want to check your GUI status with your club

Overseas membership is no different - they would offer GUI - the question is Can I get GUI Card before I have a handicap?? (The GUI site is useless - it should explain the steps necessary to get GUI and a handicap, and if one comes before the other)

What I am trying to avoid is having to play several rounds for a handicap, with a member (as I may know none) at one course.. Next year may be easier with Worldwide handicap system... I have a USGA handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭CFG92

Yes, once you join a golf club, they will register you on golfnet, which will automatically generates a GUI number. The card itself should arrive to the club then within a few days. You won't have to do the 3 cards for a handicap.

I'm not sure about that last post, to get a fresh handicap you need to hand in 3 cards from your course, only then will you be given a handicap.

Your GUI card is not enough, you need a Competitive Handicap, until you have been assigned one your handicap will be marked N for non-competitive on your card, some courses will not let you enter an open competition with a N status, of course some won't care and you'll be grand to work away at those courses

These are the 3 status levels on your GUI Handicap - linked to your card

Handicap Status
    C = Competition
    N = Non-competition
    S = Suspended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Some courses do discounts for casual rounds if you are a member of GUI, perhaps this is what the OP is looking for.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Some courses do discounts for casual rounds if you are a member of GUI, perhaps this is what the OP is looking for.

Correct - Thanks - This is all I want - Just GUI status - 'N' works for me. A LOT of the top Irish Links courses are a rip-off without some form of discount. They manage to screw over visitors by quoting high green fees BUT almost 1/2 price if GUI member - even for Wild Atlantic Way golf pass they charge more if non-GUI. Sometimes even golfnow booking specifies different rate if not GUI member. Kerry does it also by using the Kerry Card - can play at member guest rate if belong to another kerry club. Everything is set up to allow HIGH green fees for 'visitors' but not hurt locals.

I plan to get GUI - maybe a cheap pay to play membership - even if Non-competitive - and when worldwide handicap is introduced hopefully my rounds anywhere in world will count for handicap for Open Weeks in future years.

Then you're fine, I paid €70 GUI rate for Ballyliffin last year, all they wanted was my GUI card and they took down the number, no swipe

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

This isnt an Ireland thing. I played Bethpage a couple of years back and it was exactly half price if you are a Ney York State resident. I dont really get the problem with locals or GUI members paying less. If you are a member of a union it is a nice perk for sure.

As far as your question i dont believe it is possible to just join the GUI without being a member of a club in Ireland. So an overseas or distance membership is probably what you are looking for.

This isnt an Ireland thing. I played Bethpage a couple of years back and it was exactly half price if you are a Ney York State resident. I dont really get the problem with locals or GUI members paying less. If you are a member of a union it is a nice perk for sure.

As far as your question i dont believe it is possible to just join the GUI without being a member of a club in Ireland. So an overseas or distance membership is probably what you are looking for.

In New York state Beth Page is a Public course that is funded by NY taxes - that's how the club is funded - so it makes sense. Doesn't happen at semi-Private or private courses. The GUI discount - to me - isn't really a discount; that's the proper fair price; the non-GUI price is a rip-off. As for being part of a 'union'; what would be similar is if in the US, clubs charged non-USGA members double for a round, simply because you're more likely a tourist and they can fleece you (USGA does handicapping for a fee of about $45/Yr, similar to GUI).
    I can join a club either as Overseas or local - they'll take my money no problem...will do that when I know I'll be there for 2 or 3 weeks a year. What's sad is I have several friends who would be interested in visiting and playing - until they're told Ballybunion, Waterville, Tralee, Lahinch.. etc want 230 Euro... almost 200 for Rosses Point... the alternative is to enter the multi day tournaments after confirming USGA is OK, and then golfnow if the course doesn't discriminate based on GUI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

ExPaddy wrote: »
    In New York state Beth Page is a Public course that is funded by NY taxes - so it makes sense. Doesn't happen at semi-Private or private courses.
    I can join a club either as Overseas or local - they'll take my money no problem...

Thats fair. I mean the clubs in Kerry you refer to have reciprocal deals for their members so it is fine by me as if you are a member of a club you are also allowing members of the clubs you can play at to get a discounted rate at your club.

There are perks and also other services courses need to provide to be part of the GUI so clubs offerring a discounted rate to other members of the GUI is also a good idea to me.

But yes i think you have your answer. Enjoy the golf when you get home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Would the cost of joining a club not cancel out the savings gained if your only here for a few weeks a year and a hand full of games?

From my experience playing round Ireland if you ring up and book a GUI rate they rarely ask you for proof (for casual rounds, for an open comp you would need the number to enter on the computer system)

Could you "borrow" a GUI card from a friend ? (for casual only not Open comps)

Advertisement