Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement car key?

• 10-07-2019 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

Where is the best place to get a car key replaced or repaired. I'm pretty sure the immobiliser chip in my car key is dead and I need to get a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Enright

https://lockdoctor.ie/locksmiths-in-limerick/

Lock doctor in the Crescent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I second that place at the Crescent. Good service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I was robbed blind by lock doctor a few years ago. Try Ryans on Upper William street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was robbed blind by lock doctor a few years ago. Try Ryans on Upper William street.

Opposite for me. Ryan's wanted a new key provided but lock doctor dismantled it and soldered the damaged PCB. Saved fortune on the cost of the key.

Berty wrote: »
    Opposite for me. Ryan's wanted a new key provided but lock doctor dismantled it and soldered the damaged PCB. Saved fortune on the cost of the key.

I had lost the key so it was total replacement. €350 in Lock Doc. Ryans quoted me €90 but I had already gotten LD to do it. They promised me they would look after me a few weeks later when I bought my house as it was so dear for the key ie with changing locks etc. They changed one barrell and cut one padlock open and the looking after me was "we will only charge for the new barrell and the €90 call out fee. No charge for changing the barrell or cutting the padlock." Literally 5 minutes work including loading and unloading the van of tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I would also advise Ryan's over the lock doctor. LD tried to fleece me about a year or so ago, went in to get a car key cut and the chip swapped over, they said the chip in my car key needed to be replaced and would cost over €150 plus the cutting of the key.

I called him on it as it was working fine that morning and he got very angry and threw me out of the shop. Brought it to Ryan's, who checked the key and said there was nothing wrong with the chip, cut the key for me for €25 and threw in a fresh battery. Key still works fine to this day.

Tldr, I wouldn't go back to the lock doctor and will use Ryan's in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thanks guys. I'll head into Ryan's this morning. Will they need to access my car or should just bringing the damaged key be enough? Will I need a code/log book to prove ownership?

iguana wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'll head into Ryan's this morning. Will they need to access my car or should just bringing the damaged key be enough? Will I need a code/log book to prove ownership?

Log book should be enough and ID.

Advertisement