Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand New iPhones on Adverts

Options
  • 10-07-2019 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

I'm going to buy an iPhone XR in the next week or two and, while I normally buy directly from Apple, I went on Adverts last night to see what sort of money second-hand ones were asking. I was pretty surprised to find that the majority of XR's on Adverts are actually advertised as "brand new, sealed with the full 1 year Apple warranty" - and all at a reasonably cheaper price than what it would cost buying directly from Apple.

The one I'm looking at is an XR 128GB - if I bought directly from Apple it would set me back €939. If I go on to Adverts I can find the exact same one ( https://www.adverts.ie/apple/new-iphone-xr-128gb/18323348 ) for €759 - €180 less for the exact same product. And he's not the only one. There appears to be a good number of different sellers, some of them selling for slightly less even, but this seller has a pretty outstanding 100% positive feedback record with testimonials from 1,500+ happy customers.

I'm genuinely confused. What is the catch here? Where are these iPhones coming from that he (and many others) can sell them at a significant discount? He's told me that they are not imported or refurbished, they are brand new and sealed in the box with a one year Apple warranty.

Please, can somebody explain this and let me know if it is safe or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I'm going to buy an iPhone XR in the next week or two and, while I normally buy directly from Apple, I went on Adverts last night to see what sort of money second-hand ones were asking. I was pretty surprised to find that the majority of XR's on Adverts are actually advertised as "brand new, sealed with the full 1 year Apple warranty" - and all at a reasonably cheaper price than what it would cost buying directly from Apple.

The one I'm looking at is an XR 128GB - if I bought directly from Apple it would set me back €939. If I go on to Adverts I can find the exact same one ( https://www.adverts.ie/apple/new-iphone-xr-128gb/18323348 ) for €759 - €180 less for the exact same product. And he's not the only one. There appears to be a good number of different sellers, some of them selling for slightly less even, but this seller has a pretty outstanding 100% positive feedback record with testimonials from 1,500+ happy customers.

I'm genuinely confused. What is the catch here? Where are these iPhones coming from that he (and many others) can sell them at a significant discount? He's told me that they are not imported or refurbished, they are brand new and sealed in the box with a one year Apple warranty.

Please, can somebody explain this and let me know if it is safe or not?

If it walks like a duck, squaks like a duck......etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

From having seen this topic arise here many times in the past, I believe it's safe, in the sense that it really is a new and sealed iPhone. But the phones are usually what is described as grey market. i.e. They are imported from another region without having the usual taxes and customs paid, which is what accounts for the "Leo's share" of the price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

duridian wrote: »
    From having seen this topic arise here many times in the past, I believe it's safe, in the sense that it really is a new and sealed iPhone. But the phones are usually what is described as grey market. i.e. They are imported from another region without having the usual taxes and customs paid, which is what accounts for the "Leo's share" of the price difference.

Was thinking that, despite him telling me they're not imported. If I bought one of these how would the warranty work? Let's say it becomes faulty and dies six months in (that actually happened me with one I bought directly from Apple) - would there be issues with Apple repairing/replacing the phone due to not buying from an official retailer or does the warranty start once I turn the phone on for the first time, regardless of where I bought it?

If it walks like a duck, squaks like a duck......etc.

To be fair some of these sellers do look genuine, a number of them have shops etc. I was going to buy from one myself (think it was the seller in the op) only for I got a last minute offer to but direct from Apple with a family and friends discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Was thinking that, despite him telling me they're not imported. If I bought one of these how would the warranty work? Let's say it becomes faulty and dies six months in (that actually happened me with one I bought directly from Apple) - would there be issues with Apple repairing/replacing the phone due to not buying from an official retailer or does the warranty start once I turn the phone on for the first time, regardless of where I bought it?

I believe this info is still valid, but from what I was told back in 2017, when I had bought an iPad Pro 10.5 from the States, Apple will honor the warranty on international devices, but they won't let you do a "mail in" for the repair.
    So you'd need to physically present the device in an actual Apple Store (not a re-seller like Compu B). As there's no Apple Store in the Republic, that means a trip to Belfast at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

duridian wrote: »

Exactly, a friend got a 7 or whatever it was 2 years ago in Vegas, €200 less than Irish prices. My sister is in the States frequently for work, I could give her cash to buy a phone and probably profit €100 a go.

Not paying VAT or customs duties is a huge difference.

It's not uncommon for people to buy and resell if they travel frequently, especially in more expensive regions. I saw people buying around 20 pairs of Air Jordans in an outlet in Florida, I'm going to guess to bring home and resell at a much higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Your 1yr Apple warranty will be good. Anything further, under, say, the Sales of goods Act....not so sure. But these phones are all brand new, sealed, and exactly as you would receive if bought directly from Apple. Plus you generally get a case/cover & screen protector thrown in free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Ask for a vat invoice.

None of the sellers appear to accept credit/debit cards. Why?

Oxter wrote: »
    Ask for a vat invoice.

You won’t get one. Simple as that. How could you expect to based on the pricing?

dodzy wrote: »
    You won’t get one. Simple as that. How could you expect to based on the pricing?

I would expect to buy from a legal source.

• Advertisement

If you want to be sure its 100% legit just pay more, most are happy to pay less and ask no questions especially as most couldn't give a damn about vat and import duties etc being avoided. Be different if they were obviously stolen which none of these are.

If you want to be sure its 100% legit just pay more, most are happy to pay less and ask no questions especially as most couldn't give a damn about vat and import duties etc being avoided. Be different if they were obviously stolen which none of these are.

For peace of mind and comeback in case of problems.

Ask for a vat invoice.

For peace of mind and comeback in case of problems.

Obviously these phones are not for you. Let it go.

dodzy wrote: »
    Obviously these phones are not for you. Let it go.

And condone tax evasion?

Revenue where are you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

And condone tax evasion?

Revenue where are you?

If you have proof of your allegations then this is probably a good start for you:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/assist-us/reporting-shadow-economy-activity/reporting.aspx

It's your choice to do something or to do nothing.

Advertisement