Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help dealing with new team member

Options
  • 10-07-2019 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to post this anonymously and wanted some feedback.

Early last year we got a new guy added to our local team. He was basically moved from a team that was no longer needed and a lot of the guys in his team either left or found another role within the organisation.

Being brutally honest, I find the guy really annoying. He just keeps talking and just doesn’t stop. I have tried giving him numerous hints like, "Oh I better get back to work now", but he just doesn’t get the hint. When I mean he doesn’t stopping talking, the guy can easily go on for over 20 minutes, usual just repeating himself over and over again and remarking "you know what I mean, you know, you know". The conversation is always one way as well as he wouldn’t let anyone get a word in.

So over the last while, I just typically try and ignore him. Usually have my headphones on and just say Hello, when he comes into work and leave it at that. At times, I can hear him talking to me. But since I have the headphones on, I just pretend I can’t hear him. (I know it is harsh, but I find if you give him and inch, he just takes a mile)

Also, before he moved to our team. I always go with few of my friends from another team for lunch. The guy just started tagging along (invited at first), but soon all my friends found him the same and have mentioned can you stop inviting him for lunch, but rather than just saying anything, we started sneaking away for lunch few minutes early and not telling him.

But I am wondering if he can take this the wrong way and complain that I am either not being friendly/inclusive or even considering this a form of bullying ?

Also to mention, even though the guy is in my team, we hardly work on any projects together and any time he has approached me with regards to work related issues, have always gone the extra mile to help him out.

Advertisement