Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Import VAT query on commercial van - non VAT registered buyer

• 10-07-2019 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I think being non-vat registered probably answers the question before I ask it, but I will go ahead anyway as it is a slightly grey area and the seller in the UK seems to think he may not need to charge me....so.....

I am a non-VAT registered buyer in Ireland, looking to buy a used commercial van (for sole commercial use here) from a VAT-registered seller in the UK.

He thinks because he is exporting, I shouldn't have to pay UK VAT on the van.

From what I read and understand, albeit everything is a bit dated on this topic that I can find (5+ years old), is that even if I did the above, I would then just have to pay Irish VAT on it here along with my commercial VRT.

For clarity, the van is over 6 months old and well over 6k miles on clock.

I know I am not vat-registered, but for commercial tax, you can use your PPSN and have a guard countersign the document which will suffice in the tax office. So I was wondering would that suffice on the zero rate vat form for the UK side?

Similarly, if I did pay the VRT (on either side), is their a way to claim it back as it is for commercial use.... I am guessing not?

I am pretty sure the answer is pay the UK VAT and forget about it, but I would like it explained to me that this is definitely the correct (and most financially beneficial) thing to do.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Van VRT is €200
    Can’t see a situation where you pay no VAT in either here or UK happening. You aren’t in a position to claim VAT back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

wardy24 wrote: »
    I think being non-vat registered probably answers the question before I ask it, but I will go ahead anyway as it is a slightly grey area and the seller in the UK seems to think he may not need to charge me....so.....

I am a non-VAT registered buyer in Ireland, looking to buy a used commercial van (for sole commercial use here) from a VAT-registered seller in the UK.

He thinks because he is exporting, I shouldn't have to pay UK VAT on the van.

From what I read and understand, albeit everything is a bit dated on this topic that I can find (5+ years old), is that even if I did the above, I would then just have to pay Irish VAT on it here along with my commercial VRT.

For clarity, the van is over 6 months old and well over 6k miles on clock.

I know I am not vat-registered, but for commercial tax, you can use your PPSN and have a guard countersign the document which will suffice in the tax office. So I was wondering would that suffice on the zero rate vat form for the UK side?

Similarly, if I did pay the VRT (on either side), is their a way to claim it back as it is for commercial use.... I am guessing not?

I am pretty sure the answer is pay the UK VAT and forget about it, but I would like it explained to me that this is definitely the correct (and most financially beneficial) thing to do.

Thanks in advance!

If you are collecting the van from him in the UK then the place of supply is in the U.K. and he must charge you UK VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wardy24

Yes, picking it up wouldnt be the problem you have 2months to remove the vehicle from the state once purchased, BUT as suspected I am not eligable for vat exemption or reimbursement in anyway so I will just have to pay it. Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement