Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing bikes abroad

Options
  • 11-07-2019 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

A group of us have taken the plunge and are travelling to Portugal next spring with bikes. Outward flight with Ryanair. Return flight with Aer Lingus.

Any advice on packing bikes. Things to be aware of, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Pack your bike several days before. If it's your first time, you could be 2 h figuring it out. Pedals have to be removed, so you'll need to train yourself to know which way to turn the allen key to get them off. If you can, go through the disassembly, packing, removal, re-assembly procedure at home, so you'll save time at the far end. Pipe lagging and bubble wrap are your friends. A torque wrench is useful.
    Curse of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

outfox wrote: »
    Curse of a job.

Nah... it only takes 15 minutes (apparently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9WFFlAXc1k

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

I've just gone through the process this week. I used a bike bag (https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=56286) and as mentioned above there is a fair bit of work.
    - Mark seat post position and take off.
    - Unclamp the handlebars from the stem.
    - Take off the pedals.
    - I took off the chain - stored in a plastic bag to minimise the mess.
    - Take off the wheels - my bag has an aluminium frame that you can then attach the bike to using the QR skewers.
    - Air out of the tyres and store in tyre bags.
    - I wrapped the tubing and forks in bubble wrap just to be careful.
    - Put a track pump, bidons, torque wrench and allen key set in the bag to allow reassembly at the other end.

There is an oversize baggage counter in the airport that you bring your tagged bike bag to. I balanced the bag on one of the self service scales and it issued a baggage tag. Aer Lingus charged me 50 euro to transport the bike.

At the other end someone brings out all the oversize luggage into the baggage hall - it doesn't come out on the carousel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lissard wrote: »
    ...At the other end someone brings out all the oversize luggage into the baggage hall - it doesn't come out on the carousel.
    It seems to depend on the airport and staff on duty. I've travelled many times with a bike box and it often comes out on the normal luggage belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭eeimcaw

Aerlingus have a limit on number of bikes so advise to book in bike when booking flights. Think max of 7 bikes on a flight.
    Just back from France where took the bike, had hardshell bike box and takes about hour to pack and similar to reassembe first time round but would take alot less now that I know what to do.
    Remove pedals, seat post, wheels, handlebars, turn stem around.
    Bike box is handy as you can fit most of your cycling gear in it as well.
    Didn't seem to be worried about weight of bike box at airport, dropped and collected from over size luggage area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Gorteen wrote: »
    A group of us have taken the plunge and are travelling to Portugal next spring with bikes. Outward flight with Ryanair. Return flight with Aer Lingus.

Any advice on packing bikes. Things to be aware of, etc?

One thing to be aware of which caught me out first time I travelled with a bike

when you are packing your bike going out you will most likely be at home and have access to all your tools. It is easy to forget to pack one or more tools for when you have to disassemble the bike on the way home. You might have a nice set of Allen keys at home but then you decide to bring the multi tool away which you haven't used in a while. So make sure all tools you pack are fit for purpose..
    It is amazing how tight pedals can become again over a weeks cycling...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

If youre protective of your bike and will be doing a few more trips then it's worth getting a hardshell case. Keep an eye on the price of the ProBikeKit ones over the next while, they often have decent discounts on them. I used mine for the first time earlier this summer and felt like my bike was well protected. And I fitted so much other stuff in the box that I got away with a small carry on bag and no check-in bag.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    ....It is amazing how tight pedals can become again over a weeks cycling...
    I had that experience last month. Normally I bring a long separate pedal tool but forgot it. An hour of blood, sweat and tears trying to get one of them off with just a multi-tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Never underestimate the pure hatred of the baggage handler for large bike boxes, or any other heavy bags for that matter.
    Years ago, I packed a robust 1:18 scale steel die cast model car in a bag, wrapped in jumpers, trousers, etc. Yet I discovered the roof was knocked sideways when I unpacked. I reckoned at the time that a fall from at least 10 feet was required to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

One thing to be aware of which caught me out first time I travelled with a bike

when you are packing your bike going out you will most likely be at home and have access to all your tools. It is easy to forget to pack one or more tools for when you have to disassemble the bike on the way home. You might have a nice set of Allen keys at home but then you decide to bring the multi tool away which you haven't used in a while. So make sure all tools you pack are fit for purpose..
    It is amazing how tight pedals can become again over a weeks cycling...

Agreed.. when packing my bike, the tools i use to disassemble the bike are also packed in the bike box for use reassembling the bike at the other end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've only done it once so far (each way obviously), and it was fine. I gave myself plenty of time to work out how it'd fit, too a few photo's, packed all tools I used. Before hand I watched a GCN Youtube on packing too.

Similar to above, I have a probikekit box, which I think is basically a bonza box, and I got all my clothes and gear for the weekend in it - the clothes help protect the bike (on top of the pipe lagging and bubble wrap).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Packing a road bike is a piece of cake, so easy!

Turn the bars, take off pedals, put in bag, done! 10 min job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Depends on the bike and the bag... I’d much prefer a hard case and that means (for me with mine) a bit more work.
    Aer Lingus have bags etc in bins that are loaded inside the terminal and so is less likely to get damaged. Ryanair have each piece loaded at the aircraft, which means more chance of loss/damage as there is more handling and the bags go on open trolleys between the terminal and the aircraft. It’s a bit of a lottery really but as long as you pack well you’ve done all you can.
    Personally l I’d avoid Ryanair like the plague, but that’s after a few bad experiences although none with bikes

What about the wheels, rear derailleur, seat post etc. ?????

.....and then there's the protective measures with pipe insulation or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Personally l I’d avoid Ryanair like the plague, but that’s after a few bad experiences although none with bikes

I've brought my bike to Spain 3 times with Ryanair and absolutely no problems.

.. I’d avoid Ryanair like the plague, but that’s after a few bad experiences although none with bikes
    Ryanair are much easier to deal with than Aer Lingus when it comes to bike travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I’ve only taken a bike with Aer Lingus and not had any problems. Used to fly every week, sometimes with Ryanair, and I got to hate them - especially after they abandoned me in Brussels once. Cheap isn’t always good

What about the wheels, rear derailleur, seat post etc. ?????.....and then there's the protective measures with pipe insulation or whatever.

I have an Evoc bag so whip off the wheels into the sides of the bag, quickly whip off the rear mech, use the velcro straps etc and you're done... So emm.. 15 mins max...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I have an Evoc bag so whip off the wheels into the sides of the bag, quickly whip off the rear mech, use the velcro straps etc and you're done... So emm.. 15 mins max...

We're flying into Porto in Portugal and flying out a week later from Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Proper bike box not really an option, so we're going "old-school" and using cardboard boxes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

We're flying into Porto in Portugal and flying out a week later from Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Proper bike box not really an option, so we're going "old-school" and using cardboard boxes.....

In Santiago this shop is excellent. Right in the centre of town

21 euro to get your bike packed up and they will even arrange a taxi to the airport that takes the boxes (up to 3 boxes) Taxi fare is about 30 euro. Well worth it after a cycling trip..Drop them an email in advance if using the service as there is only 1 big taxi in the town..

https://www.elvelocipedo.com/Velocipedo/Ingles/Velo_EmbalajeI.html

I think to buy a box in the airport is about 18 euro anyway...

• Advertisement

Fair enough so.....

170920163812-vanmoof-bike-box-780x439-1507926687.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Gorteen

In Santiago this shop is excellent. Right in the centre of town

21 euro to get your bike packed up and they will even arrange a taxi to the airport that takes the boxes (up to 3 boxes) Taxi fare is about 30 euro. Well worth it after a cycling trip..Drop them an email in advance if using the service as there is only 1 big taxi in the town..

https://www.elvelocipedo.com/Velocipedo/Ingles/Velo_EmbalajeI.html

I think to buy a box in the airport is about 18 euro anyway...

Yes, I intend using this service. I found them online

Advertisement