Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New (first) Road Bike Questions

Options
  • 11-07-2019 8:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there,

I got a road bike yesterday. Just set it up at home, but I now have a few questions I hope you can help me with:

1. Clearance - I can stand quite comfortably over the bar, but there isn't much clearance there for 'the lads'. :) I wouldn't be able to move the bar upward though.

2. Saddle - My saddle seems quite low in comparison to other road bikes I've seen people on around. It's only slightly higher than the handlebars and is raised probably slightly less than 6 inches. I can reach the ground comfortably enough on my tip-toes though.

Is the bike too big do you think? When I was getting measured the guy said I'm between a small and medium - between 51-53cm. So I just went for the 53cm (M) bike. I'm 5'8" and 30inch in-seam if that helps.

I found another size chart online and it says I'm more a small than a medium so I don't know what to do.

Should return it for a smaller bike?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

road bike sizing is a little less consistent than it used to be, but 53cm is generally ballpark for someone your height. however, there's a school of thought that it's easier to adjust a bike that's slightly too small than one that's too big.

how much clearance do you have when standing on the ground, while on the bike?
    what make/model is the bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Apply Pressure Here

Thanks Magicbastarder!

Not much. I mean, I'm touching it, but like I said, it's not uncomfortable to stand over it...

It's a Giant Contend 2 (I can't post links).

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Fit is such a personal thing - if it feels wrong, it probably is.

Being on the verge of a frame size change is difficult too. Making a larger frame slightly smaller (through reach and saddle height adjustment) might be just as good or bad as making a smaller frame slightly larger.

It seems that "reach" is a bigger factor these days, when considering frame sizing, than standover height or seat-tube length. If you've got too much pressure on your hands, or you feel too "hunched over" when on the handlebars, this is a sign - but also, if you're a new rider, consider that the muscles that hold up your head, and in your upper back and neck, may not be used to this sort of strain.

Generally, I want my knee to be just slightly bent, and not dead straight, when on the pedals at the 6-o'clock position in the rotation of the cranks; and I want to be reaching comfortably forward, with enough options to be able to move my hands around from the hoods to the tops of the bars, or be in the drops, and not be uncomfortable in any of those positions.

This may not be much help, and you may only figure these things out in time on the bike. I think anyone's "first road bike" shouldn't be an expensive lesson, everyone should get a beater bike and then figure out what they really want before spending too much.

Best advice might be to get out and ride, and see how you get on. Good luck!

Generally, I want my knee to be just slightly bent, and not dead straight, when on the pedals at the 6-o'clock position in the rotation of the cranks

Yes I had adjusted the the saddle so my legs are at a similar angle. Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I'll just leave this here for ya, lots of invaluable info for beginners and seasoned....https://www.youtube.com/user/globalcyclingnetwork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is leg length and frame size critical? i've got 27" leg..height 5'8"..so what size frame?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think some people if they've short legs and a long torso will go for a bigger frame - because it's much easier to adjust for short legs (via saddle height) than it is for reach, which generally involves a hardware change, and only can be done within tight enough limits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

Depending on where you are, you could consider going for a professional bike fit. I'm sure someone on here could recommend someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are those that argue that the bike fit comes before the bike purchase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

ED E wrote: »

Very true like buying shoes I would always advise going to a shop to see how they fit before buying unfortunately in my case I couldn't try my Canyon bike before purchase unless I were willing to hop on a plane to Germany ( not that I think there is anything wrong with the bike).

• Advertisement

I found another size chart online and it says I'm more a small than a medium so I don't know what to do.
    giant's own sizing guide suggests medium for a person of your height.

ED E wrote: »
    i've had brief discussions with two different bike shop owners on the topic, and their attitude seems to have been 'well, it's certainly money not wasted, but unless you're a weird body shape or have specific requirements, you'll be fine with manufacturer's recommendations'.
    one (am paraphrasing here, as above) said something like 'i can get you - by eye and for free - 85% of the way to what a bike fit would tell you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The shops say just that. The bike fitters say the opposite. They both have biases to be wary of so who to believe is up to you.

Ask women about wearing mens tshirt, or me about "one size" hats. The average body type/shape is a bit of a myth IMO.

I'm 5'9 and on a Giant contend SL1 ML, and it's just slightly too big, a M should be fine

Went back to the shop. Got the saddle angle, height and bars adjusted. Put me on the bike stand thingy and cycled. They adjusted it based on that. Medium was right after all, just needed some adjustment.

I find it very hard to keep my back straight. I'm too hunched over but I'll work on that.

Thanks for the replies to 99% of you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I find it very hard to keep my back straight. I'm too hunched over but I'll work on that.

You will gain some core strength over time and you can also do some core exercises when off the bike. Every cyclist should do core work but it's such a chore so many avoid it.

Thanks for the replies to 99% of you. ;)

I had to work on my posture when starting out. I was getting awful knee pain on one side, turned out I was 'leaning' to one side. Also when getting a bike fit they noticed I had my shoulders all bunched up. Also needed to keep knees more 'inside' You just gotta keep in mind your posture starting out, and should be second nature after a while. Best of luck:-)

tuxy wrote: »
    You will gain some core strength over time and you can also do some core exercises when off the bike. Every cyclist should do core work but it's such a chore so many avoid it.

Thanks. I've just started back in the gym also.

one thing to be wary of, especially as your back gets used to the cycling position, is locking your arms straight to support it as you get tired.

So maybe come up on the top of the bar instead of the hoods if I feel like I need to do that?

Cycling is a lot more complicated than I remember. :D

• Advertisement

So maybe come up on the top of the bar instead of the hoods if I feel like I need to do that?

Cycling is a lot more complicated than I remember. :D

Best of luck with your cycling...... It takes a while to get the set up right. As you cycle more and more you might change it a wee bit especially if you gain flexibility or lose weight.

It's not rocket science just small adjustments at a time and trial and error....
    Size/height often has little bearing. Inseam is best and also can be wrong.

The leg bones vary in length and upper bones and lower bones can be in different ratio's in different people, plus foot size and shoe and cleat are just as important.

Keep well, enjoy, and you'll find all the info you ever need on the interwebby thingamobboby.............

Advertisement